Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2017, 01:00 PM   #1

Auto Leveling 8289ws

Just in last throws of creating my final spec sheet before ordering, is it worth the cost of have auto leveling fitted,is there a web site that I could find more about the auto leveling, hear in the UK auto leveling is not a big thing after saying that it getting more common.
frankrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:20 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Those that have it love it and say they'd never be without again.
Those that never have, have got by just fine for many, many years.

I think the concept is good but with manufacturers using cheap controllers and touch screens and poorly assembled hydraulic/electrical systems, for me, it's just something else to go wrong when doing it manually works just fine.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #3

I set up the level in RVs the manual way for decades, using boards and permanently mounted outside levels. Easy and fairly quick.

Have been using the 6 point hydraulic LevelUp system the last 6 years. I still grin every time I use it. Makes setup and breakdown much more enjoyable and faster. And I don't have to carry all those boards anymore

I did have one one jack replaced that had a slight leak, but never have had any functional problems. Yes, our next rig will have this very enjoyable and stress relieving option
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:32 AM   #4

We just purchased a 2017 8289WS this last fall that was equipped with the 4.0 leveling system. Only got to use it twice at camp grounds but have played with it while parked in the shed. We love the system now that we know how to operate it. This is our fifth camper with the last three being fifth wheels. All had manual jacks that seemed to work just fine. We are 100% sold on the self leveling and have to say that if we were to go to another unit, it will be equipped with this feature. I agree it's just something else to go wrong but everything we buy new now days falls into that category with all the electronics and gadgets. I totally recommend adding self leveling if you are able.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:44 PM   #5

We just ordered a 8289ws and decided not to get the auto leveling. Why? We had two friends with new 5th wheels last season and both had auto leveling, one loved it and had no issues, the other couple had nothing but problems and hate auto leveling. The dealer has been great to the couple with there problem to the point where they sent out a service tech on the weekend within an hour when they had an issue and the tech admitted this was not the only unit with auto leveling issue. So we decided to stay away from auto leveling for now.

Camping: Where you spend a small fortune to live like a homeless person.
Fundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 07:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundy View Post
We just ordered a 8289ws and decided not to get the auto leveling. Why? We had two friends with new 5th wheels last season and both had auto leveling, one loved it and had no issues, the other couple had nothing but problems and hate auto leveling. The dealer has been great to the couple with there problem to the point where they sent out a service tech on the weekend within an hour when they had an issue and the tech admitted this was not the only unit with auto leveling issue. So we decided to stay away from auto leveling for now.
It's amazing that with all the stories and examples of things that could possibly go wrong with RVs, that you bought one at all
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
It's amazing that with all the stories and examples of things that could possibly go wrong with RVs, that you bought one at all
Both of them had other minor issues but the auto leveling was the biggest single issue and it was just one less thing for us to worry about.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
True, In my case before I started reading the forums here, I used the info that I got from my friends regarding what to watch out for. After some self education, I learned that I made my first purchase to avoid the experiences and observations of those that I considered at the time to be real good advice.
I made my second purchase and got those things I was warned about since the troubles were not that common anymore. Even today I have regrets about my second purchase choices. You keep learning more every day. You only know what you know. Keep on reading...

Safe Travels.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:15 PM   #9

Quote:
I bet 95% of problems with Ground Control 3.0 is because of a poor PDI. Add that people due not read instructions as well. Last year I found 7 people with problems until 10 minutes of operation was explained. One was told "just hitch and hit retract all". No mention of retracting rear before hitching. I've had a 5er with the 4 point system and now the 6 point. Would never ever be without it again. There are but a few simple rules to follow for problem free use but they are rarely covered during PDI. Many techs have little experience with the systems as well.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:25 PM   #10
Wrench Turnin Fool

I have 4 point auto leveling on my Arctic Wolf 5er and I love it. I hope it never breaks, but it's actually fun to hot that button and step back while it does it's thing 😎

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 04:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I bet 95% of problems with Ground Control 3.0 is because of a poor PDI. Add that people due not read instructions as well. Last year I found 7 people with problems until 10 minutes of operation was explained. One was told "just hitch and hit retract all". No mention of retracting rear before hitching. I've had a 5er with the 4 point system and now the 6 point. Would never ever be without it again. There are but a few simple rules to follow for problem free use but they are rarely covered during PDI. Many techs have little experience with the systems as well.
My friends issue was an intermittent problem on the "control board".

Old 12-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #12

Quote:
My friends issue was an intermittent problem on the "control board".
Intermittent on anything can be tough to diagnose. I have more faith in the CS tech help than most dealers on this system though.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:41 AM   #13

I finally was able to order a new 2018 model and the DW let me add the autolevel. I love it. Works great and as long as I follow the instructions stuck on the wall above the control unit, it works great. The one thing the sticker doesn't mention but our dealer PDI did, is about how to properly drop the front manual part of the jacks so that the electrics have enough length to move where they need to.

If your best was good enough today........
It won't be tomorrow.
Feldhege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:00 AM   #14

At the Rockwood/Flagstaff Factory Repair area when ask about the Issues with the "Ground Control Systems" they said the # 1 Problem is "LOW 12V"! Next is "Operator Error"! Youroo!!

Tags
leveling