Old 11-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #1

Automated Safety Hitch

There has been a heated discussion in the 8289WS thread I started...so I want to get your opinions on this item. I personally think it is really cool...and sure looks like it will be something that will possibly be an alternative for people wanting to use a 1/2 ton to tow a 5th wheel if they don't have enough payload.

Watch this video and then go to the site and watch some of their other videos please before commenting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=29O7nxrjH4k

Here is the website for the other videos.

The Automated Safety Hitch | Trailer Hitch | Gooseneck Horse Trailers | 5th Wheel RVs | Flatbed Goosenecks | Fifth Wheel

Edit I tried to post the first video directly...but it didn't work.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #2

It's been discussed on here before. Try a search.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:50 AM   #3

Brings up alot of questions..........

Might be good for those with an Expedition or other large SUV......

BUT it is double towing & probably not legal is many states....???????

I towed a fifth wheel for several years with a half ton with no issues......

I would rather just use the truck but I am 99% positive that it would not be legal here in Virginia. Neat concept but I doubt it will be around long.......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Brings up alot of questions..........

Might be good for those with an Expedition or other large SUV......

BUT it is double towing & probably not legal is many states....???????

I towed a fifth wheel for several years with a half ton with no issues......

I would rather just use the truck but I am 99% positive that it would not be legal here in Virginia. Neat concept but I doubt it will be around long.......

That does bring up a good point about whether it does in fact classify as double towing. I had not thought about that aspect of things. I am in California and double towing is permitted if you are under 65' in length...but it would suck to want to go to a different state and get ticketed for it.

Edit: After reading more about it I read this...which states it does not classify as a trailer so it would not count as a double tow.

Included with each unit sold is a notarized letter indicating the regulatory compliance in 9 continents and regions stating that the Automated Safety Hitch System is classified as a lift/drop axle, not as a trailer. Therefore, registration with state and county motor vehicle departments is not required. The letter also states that the additional seven to nine feet should not be added because “the length of devices determined to be necessary for safe and efficient operation should be excluded.” Several states have laws that exempt the lift/drop axle from the length limitation. Jamieson said that none of his customers have reported being ticketed for length violations and that was confirmed by the customers I interviewed for this report. Customers surveyed also revealed that the Safety Hitch has been used in nearly every state and in Canada without any problem. There are additional links below covering state RV length laws. If unsure, contact your local state agency.

Barry thanks for pointing me to the search function...that was a very helpful post.

Tags
hitch, safety