Old 08-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Put a window in your gas bottle covers and it's easy to check.
OK, I am going to have to do that mod.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #32
Mod free 5er
Have the autochangover and also put gauges on both tanks, but only turn on one tank at a time so I don't have to check the tanks. When one is out, I just turn the other one on. I don't go camping to have to check numerous things all the time. I go to relax from the hectic schedule of being retired and doing nothing all the time.

OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:19 PM   #33
Paul & Sheri
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
As they say- there are many ways to skin the ole cat. I leave both tanks open and usually have a good feel for how long one tank lasts. Now that I understand my switchover, I haven been surprised yet.

On edit- I'm not implying that others don't know how to use theirs. I literally didn't understand it and ran out of propane entirely before I got a grasp on mine.
ditto! pay attention, check the indicator once in a while and fill the empty soon after it switches over and you'll never run out. I don't want to wake up with the fridge turned off just because I had the second tank turned off.

Water level in the batteries, tire pressure, lug nuts, water filter condition, air pressure in the accumulator tank, many things have to be checked for proper maintenance and checking the propane indicator takes less than 5 seconds.
2012 F150 F/X 4, 6cyl EcoBoost with Max tow pkg
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline T1950
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #34
I pull the covers off the tanks at the end of every other trip to look at the at the auto switch and verify I'm still on my "primary" tank. I usually take that opportunity to feel the primary tank and get an idea how much I have left. I have noticed that I use VERY little unless I am running the furnace.

tanddc is offline   Reply With Quote