Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #21
Canadian Member

I have the awning tie-down kit with the spiral spikes and the nylon rope. I'll be getting some bright ratcheting tie-down straps to replace the ropes so they can be seen better in the dark.

Since I have the manual Dometic awning, should I detach the support arms from the trailer mounts and put the arms vertical from the ground?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I have the awning tie-down kit with the spiral spikes and the nylon rope. I'll be getting some bright ratcheting tie-down straps to replace the ropes so they can be seen better in the dark.

Since I have the manual Dometic awning, should I detach the support arms from the trailer mounts and put the arms vertical from the ground?
I guess that depends on whether you want the 'head knocker' poles or the vertical poles. There is merit to tying the straps to the bottom of the angled posts and also to tying them to the ground with the vertical poles. Just whatever way you want to do them.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #23

The Claw

Here is what I use with my power awning. I still a leave a little slack in the straps and if the wind gets to strong I will roll the awning up.

Amazon.com: The Claw RV Awning Tie Down Anchoring System (contains 2 anchors in kit): Home Improvement

I have used the spikes in the sw Colorado rocks and they worked well. My dw always wants the awning to be out, but I am pretty cautious because there is nothing I think that will not end up damaging your awning.
2021 Forest River Riverstone 37FLTH

mike2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #24
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2tall View Post
Here is what I use with my power awning. I still a leave a little slack in the straps and if the wind gets to strong I will roll the awning up.
I have used the spikes in the sw Colorado rocks and they worked well. My dw always wants the awning to be out, but I am pretty cautious because there is nothing I think that will not end up damaging your awning.
We use the dirt screws and the ratchet straps, but with the poles, you can snug the straps up and withstand 15-25 mph wind with nothing moving or banging. Do you have a power awning or manual?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #25

Ours is a power awning. We have had no problems with the claw with some pretty strong winds. What have noticed is that there is no movement with the arms of the awning, but there is alot of stress now on the frabic of the awning with it tied down. Something has to give somewhere with the stress of the wind and I would rather the frame move a little before tearing the awning fabric.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #26
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2tall View Post
Ours is a power awning. We have had no problems with the claw with some pretty strong winds. What have noticed is that there is no movement with the arms of the awning, but there is alot of stress now on the frabic of the awning with it tied down. Something has to give somewhere with the stress of the wind and I would rather the frame move a little before tearing the awning fabric.
After having a power awning now for 5 yrs without the poles, I could never tie it down to where the arms didn't move in a wind until I put the poles on it. We have no problem with the dirt screws pulling out or with the ratchet straps. Just the flimsy arms on the awning. I guess I don't understand what the claws have to do with the awning other than anchoring the straps.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #27

You are correct, the claw only helps with staying in the ground by using the stakes to insert in the ground at a angle. It is like cross nailing wood to help give better resistance to pulling out of the ground.

I have not used ours much, but have not had any problems with the arms bending on the power awning. I just wrap the straps around the awning tube and place the claw below the tube so that the straps are pulling straight down. So far, my awning arms have not moved. The arms have a slot so that you can pull the awning lower on one side if necessary to allow rain to run off. I just tighten up the knobs to make the arms as stiff as possible. You have to remember to loosen them before rolling the awning up.

I just notice that the awning fabric seems to flex alot. I think the poles would be a better solution to give more solid support to the awning, especially in gusty winds. The claw is also designed to attach to support tubes if they are used with the awning.

Tags
awning