Old 10-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #1

awning tie-down?

I hope someone is reading this form at the end of October! The awning on our 2012 Windjammer is very sensitive to wind gusts, and twists away, or lifts up at the slightest breeze. Any suggestions on how to tie this down to the deck so that it won't move so easily? I am terrified of it getting all bent.
Thanks!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #2

Try some anchor points in the decking and then the traditional awning tie downs that you can get at any camping supply store.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieB_1 View Post
I hope someone is reading this form at the end of October! The awning on our 2012 Windjammer is very sensitive to wind gusts, and twists away, or lifts up at the slightest breeze. Any suggestions on how to tie this down to the deck so that it won't move so easily? I am terrified of it getting all bent.
Thanks!
I have some tie down poles: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rts-26164.html
Old 10-22-2012, 07:42 AM   #4

I use the spiral dog tie up stakes an the ratcheting load straps. I started the the awning tie down kit but at night u dont see the rope well and it would get tripped over. Switched to some bright orange ratchet straps an now you see them. Also with the awning tie downs i had them come loose, the new straps do not
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3953073940.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	20937  
Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by leencharlotte View Post
I use the spiral dog tie up stakes an the ratcheting load straps. I started the the awning tie down kit but at night u dont see the rope well and it would get tripped over. Switched to some bright orange ratchet straps an now you see them. Also with the awning tie downs i had them come loose, the new straps do not
Lee,

I had thought about doing the tie down as you did but I was afraid the "pull" on the side of the camper at the awning attachment track would be more than the screws could handle.

The awning posts made by Neil (DunnNC) solved my concern by transferring that force from a direct pull on the wall to a more vertical component down into the poles.

Look carefully at the awning track for loose screws and make sure your sealant integrity is still good as it might be cracking or separating from the wall.

Herk (PS Even though more than half of the force of the tie down and wind is wicked down into the poles with Neil's design, I am still going to keep an eye on my track's integrity as well)

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

Two benefits of using the poles are: 1. Removing the shock load on the attaching rail when the awning bangs from the wind. 2. Removing the load on the arms.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769

Lee,

I had thought about doing the tie down as you did but I was afraid the "pull" on the side of the camper at the awning attachment track would be more than the screws could handle.

The awning posts made by Neil (DunnNC) solved my concern by transferring that force from a direct pull on the wall to a more vertical component down into the poles.

Look carefully at the awning track for loose screws and make sure your sealant integrity is still good as it might be cracking or separating from the wall.

Herk (PS Even though more than half of the force of the tie down and wind is wicked down into the poles with Neil's design, I am still going to keep an eye on my track's integrity as well)
Hey Herk, i dont really tighten them all that much and if the wind gets strong i pull it in. The ratchet straps are mainly for color so that can see them and they dont come loose

However, since your advise is always good, and honestly i have thought about that concern, i will double check them this weekend when i winterize .
Old 10-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #8

(3) support the weight of sun shade & wind gusts aginst it! Youroo!!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #9

I use the ratchet straps, as well, but I use a strap that runs across the top of the length of the tube, like the commercially available hold-down, then I run the ratchet strap back to the TT frame rails, parallel and next to the angled awning support poles. The angled support pole on the awning holds it up, and the ratchet straps hold it down. Additionally, if the TT rocks slightly from someone stepping in, moving around, or from high winds, the awning and the tie-downs move with the TT. Nothing is attached to the ground, so no stress on the awning fabric, the pot-metal connections on the tube, or on the screws and fasteners.

I've already winterized and covered, or I'd take a photo for you....

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Instructor View Post
Additionally, if the TT rocks slightly from someone stepping in, moving around, or from high winds, the awning and the tie-downs move with the TT. Nothing is attached to the ground, so no stress on the awning fabric, the pot-metal connections on the tube, or on the screws and fasteners
Hmmm, never thought of that.

Tags
awning