Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2017, 04:11 PM   #1

Awning tie downs

Hello all
We had a wonderful long weekend in the 2906 WS. This was our 3rd trip with our new unit and we really only have one complaint. The awning, it was sunny out so we wanted the awning out. It really was not that windy maybe 5 to 10 but it would give an occasional gust that really got it moving. In the awning went. This was an on going thing all weekend. Are there any suggestions on something to do to make the awnings more useful. I believe they make an awning tie down poll. Any suggestions would be great.
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #2

I use the Camco Awning Anchor straps with pull tension. Work perfectly! And simple to hook up and take down. I had the same issue and was very sensitive to the awning "waving." Now I don't really worry much at all.
LLMRPh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 06:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egghead View Post
Hello all
The awning, it was sunny out so we wanted the awning out. It really was not that windy maybe 5 to 10 but it would give an occasional gust that really got it moving. In the awning went. This was an on going thing all weekend. Are there any suggestions on something to do to make the awnings more useful. I believe they make an awning tie down poll. Any suggestions would be great.
I have a ~20 ft manual awning on our 38ft HitchHiker - we don't travel with it - it is pretty permanant in Arizona for the winter. I have a full length awning screen anchored to the ground and I use ratcheting tie downs on both ends also anchored in the ground. It has held up in more than 40mph winds but it starts getting a little "scary" at about 25-30mph. I think I put it in 3x last winter.

I've seen the electric awnings go nuts and blow over the top of the RV in winds around 20 mph if they weren't tied down. I confess to being amazed that the awning did not suffer any permanent damage.

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning