Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2018, 11:31 PM   #1

Backup Camera ???

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find any thread new enough to be able to ask the questions on. I pick up my new 2019 2507S next week. It is prewired for Furrion back camera. The card in the trailer lists two specific systems....either the back up only one or the observation one that also works as a rear view "mirror".

However, I found one on Amazon that includes audio. (See link below.) Yeah, it's rather spendy. Nevertheless, judging by the pictures, it looks just like the two shown on the trailer info card. So, I'm assuming, theoretically, that it should hook up and mount just fine on the new trailer using the prewired and placed bracket. Secondly, since this other camera has "audio", I'm assuming this means I could hear my spotter talking while standing at the rear of the trailer.

Any comments or thoughts on my assumptions? Or validations of the assumptions I'm making?

https://smile.amazon.com/Lippert-Com...70_&dpSrc=srch
Rsteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #2

Observation camera

Can't speak for the one with audio but we have the FOS48TAPK-BL. It works very good. It does blank out every once in awhile. It only happens when in areas where there would be interference. Haven't seen it happen out on the open road. We like it for going down the road to watch the rear blind spot.
jimla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #3

Skip the furion cameras got to tadi brothers website. I got a much larger 7" monitor and a better backup/observation camera with an adapter to fit the furion mount for about the same price as the furion model. And the monitor I picked allows for expansion if I want to add additional cameras.
tdiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:30 AM   #4

It does look the same as the Furrion, worst case if the size is slightly different will be that you need to remove the existing backplate and put in the one that came with the new camera. Will add a few holes in the camper, but those can be caulked. I didn't look close enough at the plug to see if it will work with the existing connection, you may need to rewire, but that wouldn't be hard.
Hearing the DW giving directions might be useful. The first time I backed into a spot after installing camera I was backing in looking out my window. Glanced up at camera to see how close i was and saw my wife dive out of the way before i pushed her into the bushes. Live and learn.
Good luck.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:21 AM   #5

Thanks for the Tadi info tdiller. I'm looking at that now. Saves me around $60 and looks like it'd work just fine. That just may be the way to go.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #6

Never heard of a system with audio. I'd be interested in seeing how that works. We installed a Furrion observation camera just prior to a 4,000+ mile trip last month, and it worked perfectly. No issues with signal loss and very clear image on the monitor. Our mini lite was pre-wired for it so simple to install. Works great for changing lanes, as well as backing up.

DW and I use small walki talki's while backing into sites, for added communication.
TJ Midwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:45 AM   #7

Well, I (WTH) bit the bullet and ordered the double camera system with clip on 7" mirror monitor and the adapter for Furrion mounts. Says it's audio so I guess I'll see how well it all works. While I always hate the hassle, if it just doesn't do what I want, I'll send it back. But it "appears" to fit the bill for me. I'll post more once it's on the trailer and working.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:45 PM   #8

I got an answer back from Furrion support, if anyone is interested. Regarding the link I posted earlier to Amazon about the other Furrion system. They said (1) yes it will work with the Furrion prewiring and base plate some of our trailers come with. And, (2) yes, audio means you can hear your spotter at the back of the trailer. So, even though I have initially gone with the setup from Tadi Bros., I at least know I have a fallback system to go to if need be.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:25 PM   #9
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Whatever you choose, don't forget to make sure that your backup camera is also a high speed observing camera so that you can see behind your TT while you are driving down the road, not just seeing when you are backing up. I bought the Furrion that my Rockwood was wired for, high speed observing + backup and it is wonderful. Totally worth the price.
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #10
Explore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper1962 View Post
Whatever you choose, don't forget to make sure that your backup camera is also a high speed observing camera so that you can see behind your TT while you are driving down the road, not just seeing when you are backing up. I bought the Furrion that my Rockwood was wired for, high speed observing + backup and it is wonderful. Totally worth the price.
What Furrion model number did you buy? I've read from owners the Furrion 7" monitor observation camera is a good one.
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp4two View Post
What Furrion model number did you buy? I've read from owners the Furrion 7" monitor observation camera is a good one.

Yes, I do really like it; the monitor has a great picture even in the dark/low light. I have the Furrion 381556 FOS48TAPK-BL from Amazon (link below). Oddly, if you purchase the one that comes with the housing, even though you don't need it because the housing is part of your pre-wired TT, the cost is lower than just purchasing the camera itself.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-06-2018, 10:36 PM   #12

The link for the first one I was looking at is in an above post. But this is the one I actually ended up ordering, along with the Furrion adaptor:

https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...-backup-system

and

https://www.tadibrothers.com/product...-power-adapter

Yes, it's both a backup and observation camera. With audio.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:02 AM   #13

Interesting to have audio, but we use hand signals, which I can see while backing, and if I need to hear what DH is saying, I just roll down the window. But we have a small TT so he is not a long distance away
Old 09-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #14
Camper

The audio would be good depending on how sensitive the mic is and where the spotter is standing. We can't just talk to each other as my diesel engine is too loud. Cell phones, walkie talkies or hand signals if I am in the mood for a divorce. LOL

I either do it myself or have my teenage son help if I want to back into a fence pole.

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 07:15 AM   #15

[QUOTE= I either do it myself or have my teenage son help if I want to back into a fence pole.[/QUOTE]

I second that!
Old 09-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #16

The Furrion available at Amazon, linked above, apparently allows for side cameras. I assume Tadi Bros offer something similar.

Does anyone have experience using side cameras with an observation rear camera while driving? How easy is it to switch views? Can the display rotate views continuously? Can it show all three at the same time? (Not sure how well that could be seen at a glance, all scrunched onto the same small screen.)

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #17

My setup from Tadi Bros. came today. Only took a quick look at it so far but it appears there is more wiring involved than the Furrion system. Hmmmm. More later.
Old 09-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #18
Grammar Pedant

My Furrion observation camera works very well. Clear video. I actually like the monitor size and wouldn't want much larger. I've already got too much crap in my dash area.

My only gripe is that the distance is too skewed. By that, I mean that cars that are about 4 lengths behind me completely disappear. It still works great for lane changes and such. But, it sort of only tells you when people are right on your butt. When they fall back a few car lengths, they begin to disappear from vision. This isn't the way my camera is pointed, just the fish-eye angle being a bit too steep.

I have never had a connectivity problem. I use the camera primarily when driving, not when backing. I use it sparingly for backing up, as I still rely on my mirrors, looking out my driver window, and spotters.

I don't know anything about the Tadi Bros version. I know that the links above totaled around $440, which is more than $100 more than I paid for my Furrion about 6 months ago. Took me about 2 minutes to install my Furrion with the pre-wire.

Good luck.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #19

Back in the day, my dad was good enough to teach me to use the mirrors too. Since then I’ve pulled many a trailer and even drove school buses for a few years. So using mirrors is second nature to me. That said, I figured a rear camera would be a nice addition for the new TT. This Tadi system looks nice, just don’t know yet how much of a PITA it’s gonna be to hook up.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #20

Well, after laying out the Tadi system and looking things over, just too much wiring and splicing needed to be done to suit me. Plus, antennae's were not integrated and need to be attached then "stuck on" the side of the trailer and somewhere in TV cab. Definitely not a plug n play system, although I'm sure it probably works fine. Still, not what I was looking for so it's going back. I've ordered the Furrion one instead....it should be easy plug n play.