Old 07-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #1

Bad Tires

Well, I debated whether to replace my tires on my one year old 8281ws before our trip to Florida. Two blow outs within two hours told me I made the wrong decision. The crappy tires that came with the unit did not have that many miles on them and were covered when not in use. I write this to warn others that the trail express tires that came with Rockwood ultra lights are not to be trusted on my opinion. I'm religious about checking the pressure and even had a TPMS on them. No warning, just boom. Blew out side wall both times. Fortunately no damage to trailer and I stopped to buy a spare after the first one blew!. I weighed my trailer fully loaded and I was well under my max load of 9600lbs. Shame on Forest River for building such a nice trailer and putting low quality tires on them and at the top of their weight load to boot.

I wanted to go with Maxxis which I have had before on another trailer but the discount tire where I was did not have them in stock. So, since I was not going to take a chance on a third blowout I had to buy what they had which was Carslile load range E. Can anyone give me advice on the tire pressure to run? Discount Tire wanted to put 80lbs in them since that is what is on the side wall. I know that is just the max pressure. Also, I've read on the forums that my aluminum rims are probably rated for 65lbs. I've read that the tires will build up heat if not run at max pressure but I know that is not right because I have load E tires on my F 350 and the sticker on the pillar says to run them at 65lbs and I have not had any problems for 8 years. I will probably run my trailer tires at 65lbs based on the rim recs and the weight of my trailer unless I hear a good reason not to. Thanks for your help and letting me rant.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

You can safely run 65 PSI in those rims and tires.

My load Range E tires on the truck are placarded at 65 PSI on the fronts.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post

My load Range E tires on the truck are placarded at 65 PSI on the fronts.
I run mine at 78PSI all the time, they last a lot longer. Got 68K out of the first set of factory`s.

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevanb View Post
I run mine at 78PSI all the time, they last a lot longer. Got 68K out of the first set of factory`s.
Are you talking about the truck or the camper?
His camper's aluminum rims are only rated for 65 PSI.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Senior Moment

I ran 70psi cold on my Maxxis load range E tires, went from north texas to colorado springs, then down to santa fe, then back home. TST monitor showed tires heating up to max of about 106 in the sun after running a few hours, and pressure maxed out at about 80-82 psi after heating up.. could not find any rating on the rims when new tires were being put on.

Just glad i changed out the trail express tires before the trip. even sold them to Discount tire for 100. and slept alot better on the trip.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #6

Herk, how did find out about the rim max pressure? When I looked at my rims they only had the weight limit of 2150lbs stamped on them. Thx
Old 07-29-2013, 02:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmbone View Post
Well, I debated whether to replace my tires on my one year old 8281ws before our trip to Florida. Two blow outs within two hours told me I made the wrong decision. The crappy tires that came with the unit did not have that many miles on them and were covered when not in use. I write this to warn others that the trail express tires that came with Rockwood ultra lights are not to be trusted on my opinion. I'm religious about checking the pressure and even had a TPMS on them. No warning, just boom. Blew out side wall both times. Fortunately no damage to trailer and I stopped to buy a spare after the first one blew!. I weighed my trailer fully loaded and I was well under my max load of 9600lbs. Shame on Forest River for building such a nice trailer and putting low quality tires on them and at the top of their weight load to boot.

I wanted to go with Maxxis which I have had before on another trailer but the discount tire where I was did not have them in stock. So, since I was not going to take a chance on a third blowout I had to buy what they had which was Carslile load range E. Can anyone give me advice on the tire pressure to run? Discount Tire wanted to put 80lbs in them since that is what is on the side wall. I know that is just the max pressure. Also, I've read on the forums that my aluminum rims are probably rated for 65lbs. I've read that the tires will build up heat if not run at max pressure but I know that is not right because I have load E tires on my F 350 and the sticker on the pillar says to run them at 65lbs and I have not had any problems for 8 years. I will probably run my trailer tires at 65lbs based on the rim recs and the weight of my trailer unless I hear a good reason not to. Thanks for your help and letting me rant.
What brand came on the trailer? Thanks.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #8

I upgraded to 15 inch rims and those same tires, I run mine at 70psi.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:12 PM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Load Range D Tires and Aluminum Rims

It goes back a ways (2010), but I think I can be forgiven for mis-remembering. This thread quoted at 60 PSI; not 65...

My steel rims are also stamped 2150 pounds; so the max is 50 PSI.

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Old 07-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

According to this thread, the rim load rating (in pounds) corresponds to the maximum pressure of a tire rated for that load rating.

https://www.heartlandowners.org/show...ressure-rating

If that is the case a 2150 pound rated rim has a maximum working pressure of 50 PSI (Load range C).

From that thread:

Here are the answers.......
14" Aluminum Rim max 50PSI
15" Aluminum Rim max 80PSI..........

Also, the 15" tires will rub the bottom of the wheel well on the 21FBS TT
Attached Files
File Type: pdf maxxis 8008load.pdf (142.2 KB, 14 views)

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW