Old 11-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #1

Batteries on 2019 Geo Pro 19fbs

I have searched and canít find the answer, hopefully someone can help me. The Geo Pro 19fbs has two battery storage containers. Is it Standard equipment to have both batteries when you buy the unit? Or do you only get one and have to purchase the second one?

Thank you for any help.

Also has anyone changed their shower head and if so, what did you buy?

Kim

bama7239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:29 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama7239 View Post
I have searched and canít find the answer, hopefully someone can help me. The Geo Pro 19fbs has two battery storage containers. Is it Standard equipment to have both batteries when you buy the unit? Or do you only get one and have to purchase the second one?

Thank you for any help.

Kim
Batteries are a dealer-installed item. Trailers don't have factory installed batteries but Motorhomes do.
I'm betting that the dealer also put the boxes on too.
Most dealers only install a single cheap dual-purpose marine battery. These are NOT true deep cycle batteries.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:37 AM   #3
Rookie

Mine came with 1 battery, I picked up a second from Sam's Club and installed it with a Power pulse. I went cheap to hold me over till I upgrade to battle born LifePo batteries.Click image for larger version

Name:	1021191259~2.jpeg
Views:	67
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	219118
Old 11-13-2019, 02:09 AM   #4
Fulltime family RVer

For showerheads, most (but not all) people like the Oxygenics Body Spa or Fury model. To me, the Body Spa boosts low pressure better but the Fury has multiple spray patterns. My family liked the Fury better. If you have kids, the Spa is loud and shower time with my then 1-2 year old wasn’t fun.

https://learntorv.com/oxygenics-show...ni-mod-review/
Old 11-13-2019, 11:18 AM   #5

Thank you, I have Interstate Marine/RV SRM-24 Deep Cycle. Is this a true deep cycle battery?

Kim
bama7239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
Catfish1953

Batteries

Quote:

Thank you for any help.

Kim
When we purchased our dealer put two Deep cycle Marine/RV Batteries. We are still using these and they are meeting our limited needs for now. We will be changing to 2- 6 volt batteries sometimes in the spring unless the price comes down significantly on Lithium and if that happened we will add 2 Lithium Batteries. We are also looking at 1 more panel and or generator.

We switched to oxygenics chrome, more pressure.

USAF Retired
3rd Herd Life Member
2019 Forrest River E-pro 19-FBS
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
catfish1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Thank you, I have Interstate Marine/RV SRM-24 Deep Cycle. Is this a true deep cycle battery?

Kim

Yes it is.
Also...you don't need more than one if you will always be plugged in wherever you go. If you plan to boondock...then get a second battery while the first is new. Best to get the same brand and model...BUT...never mix different age or sized or type batteries even if you have to buy a different brand.
IF you have a choice to get TWO batteries of your own picking (paying any difference in cost to the dealer) for best boondocking performance...suggest you get the largest deep cycles that will fit in your boxes...prolly group 27...from a high quality mfr. like Trojan for best cycle life and time before recharge.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:48 PM   #8

Yeah, when we picked up our E-Pro 19FD last spring I asked the dealer to install 2 6v batteries which they gladly did, for a price. We too have swapped out the original showerhead for an Oxygenics.
Searun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:21 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:

Kim
I disagree with camaraderie.
It's a dual-purpose marine batteries. It's kind of like a dual-purpose trail bike that can go off road but you can drive on the street.
It doesn't do either that well. A dual-purpose marine battery also is built for starting boat motors, therefore has a Cold Cranking Amps rating. This is useless for RV 12v system purposes.
Its construction is also different from a true deep cycle battery, like a golf cart battery.
If you always camp with electric hookups, it's fine.
But if you want to seriously boondock or dry camp, get something like Trojan 12v or 6v batteries. Or if you have money to spend, get AGM or Lithium batteries.
By the way, I currently have an Interstate Marine/RV battery and will be going to a pair of 6v golf cart batteries soon.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
Old 11-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #10

I have a FD19 E-pro it came with a marine duo purpose battery. When I camped at a site with no power with small fan running at night it went down to zero. I have since went to 2 six volt golf cart batteries and have used the with out shore power and they didn't go below 60%. They are a lot heavier than marine batteries more lead.
Hanesstetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
For showerheads, most (but not all) people like the Oxygenics Body Spa or Fury model. To me, the Body Spa boosts low pressure better but the Fury has multiple spray patterns. My family liked the Fury better. If you have kids, the Spa is loud and shower time with my then 1-2 year old wasnít fun.

https://learntorv.com/oxygenics-show...ni-mod-review/
Do these make good batteries?
I did make note of your showerhead recommendation.
Typical season is about 30 nights camping, usually nearby boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:06 PM   #12
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
OP asked about them:

Quote:
I can't help much for batteries or what might be standard equipment on that particular trailer. But I could answer the showerhead part.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Yep, if you had read the OP's complete post, you would have seen the showerhead question.
Equalizer WDH
Old 11-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #14

We purchased the E-Pro 14fk, and it came with two batteries in two battery boxes. Along with dual propane tanks. I understand that this is standard with the e-pro/geo pro lines. However, I have seen others who posted that the dealers only provided them with one battery and/or one propane tank.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #15

Quote:
<<SNIP>>

Kim
The empty battery box is standard, and it could have been filled by the dealer, but you may be lucky it wasn't. As others said, dealer batteries are often not that great.
And, no, the 2nd battery is not standard. It's optional, and at the dealer price, it would be expensive for what you get.

Your new with a new boondocking machine, so I'm going to blitz you with a lot of info that will be helpful if you don't already know it. If you do know this stuff, then maybe it will help someone else.

If your rig has solar, and if you boondock, a hot setup for you would be two 6-Volt golf cart batteries wired in series to make 12 volts - combined with at least one more 100 watt solar panel. Get good ones like Trojans while you're at it. Be sure to measure your space to ensure the 6s will fit, and be prepared to buy new battery boxes, because the 6s are somewhat larger. Plastic boxes are cheap.
You might find this interesting:

Someone else mentioned the Battleborn LiFePo4 (Lithium-Iron-Phosphate) batteries. https://battlebornbatteries.com/?gcl...SAAEgI0jvD_BwE These are truly awesome, but they cost close to a kilobuck a pop. I don't have $2K laying around to buy batteries for a $20K camper. There are others that are less expensive, but remember those Tesla fires. Be sure you know what you're buying.

Adding solar panels is much cheaper, and they will keep two 12s or two 6s topped off by nightfall each day...especially for the kinds of uses in a Geo Pro. I've been using a single 100 watt solar panel and a single group 24 12-volt battery (what's on the tongue of your camper) for years, and I can boondock indefinitely in sunny Colorado. I mean that I go to bed each night with a full battery. Your mileage will vary depending on climate and how power hungry you are.

If you have any DIY skills, you can add panels for about $100 each per 100-watt panel. Flex panels are about $120. https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=windyna..._sb_ss_sc_1_13

While you're at it, you might invest in a Predator 2KW inverter generator from Harbor Freight. Consumer Reports rated them as only SLIGHTLY lower than the Honda and they cost half the price. I've seen one in action ... in parallel with a Honda no less ... and it's a damned fine generator for under $500. When boondocking, the genny will run your microwave, other 120 volt appliances (coffee, toaster, hair dryer) and with some trick mods on the AC (essentially a capacitor boost to start it) the genny can run a 13.5 kw AC unit in most cases. https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-w...tor-62523.html

Far more than you asked for, but, as I said, you have a really great boondocking machine. I'm trading in my PUP this weekend, and the Geo Pro is on my short list. May as well hit the ground running in the spring and go where the fifth wheels fear to tread.

P.S. If you can afford Battleborns, buy them. But be sure your RV converter/charger and your solar panel charge controller are compatible. May or may not be.

Also, if your rig has the built-in inverter/transfer switch, you may be tempted to eat up your batteries using 120 volt appliances. The calculator below will help you realize the folly of that choice.

Sample Math...you're going to need it if you boondock.
I have a 360 watt, 120 volt electric blanket I run from an inverter for 15 minutes (1/4 hour) to take the chill off the bed.
The math:
The ultimate source of power is 12 volts ALWAYS when you're not plugged into shore power, because all power comes from a 12 volt source...your battery bank.
360 watts @ 12 volts = 30 AMPS. My crappy electric blanket is sucking 30 amps out of the battery!! 30 amps would melt your home's bedroom wiring, but it's delivering the 360 watts at 120 volts, so the amps draw at home is only 3...from an infinite supply, the grid.

30 amps per hour = 30 amp hours.
A typical 12 volt group 24 deep cycle battery (what you have on the tongue) can deliver between 35 and 40 amp hours before it must be recharged. You get to use about 50% of its rated capacity (see video) before you must recharge or eventually ruin the battery in short order.

By running my blanket for 15 minutes, I consume about 8 amp hours of the total 35 or so I have to work with. I use a timer on my phone to be sure I shut it off in exactly 15 minutes.

In my PUP (a glorified tent) at altitude, my furnace runs overnight even in July. Let's assume my furnace draws 5 amps and during colder weather runs half the time (50% duty cycle). Also assume the heat is on for 8 hours if I get a decent night's sleep. That's 4 hours at 5 amps per hour = 20 amp hours just for the furnace on a cool night. So, now the consumption is at 28 of the 35 available. I have 7 amp hours to share between the water pump (which draws 7 amps for short bursts), the ignition for the hot water heater and propane fridge, the parasitic draws from the CO detector, and VERY frugal use of lights. (I use a mantle lantern and several LED lanterns instead of the camper's lights)

If you're going to boondock, you need to do this math to understand what your batteries, your solar panel (A single 100-watt panel can deliver about 7 amps in midday full sun and produce about 35 amp hours from dawn to dusk--just enough), load draws, and so on will create and consume. As I said, I've managed with a single 12 volt battery and one x 100 watt panel for years. But I'm VERY careful how I use power. And as a side benefit of making lattes twice a day, I hit the battery with the genny for about 15 minutes in the morning and evening...not much charging, but something.

This calculator will help you immensely. Just be sure to always start with 12 volts. https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/ele...alculator.html

I hope you love your new camper. Now go battery shopping.
Typical season is about 30 nights camping, usually nearby boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Wellington
Old 11-13-2019, 06:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Yep, if you had read the OP's complete post, you would have seen the showerhead question.
I did. Couldn't help picking on you.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
I did. Couldn't help picking on you.
Wasn't me, it was ependydad.
Equalizer WDH
Old 11-13-2019, 10:34 PM   #18
Tundra 2014

Battery

If you are camping in state parks where you have electric, your one battery will be fine. My suggestion is use it until you need to replace and then go to 2-6 volt batteries or 2-Group 31 deep cycles. I run a group 31-deep cycle 12 volt because I do not have room for 2 batteries on the nose. This gives me more capacity and only 1 battery to maintain. It still fits in the standard box-but measure 1 st. PS-when you run 2-6 volts if one fails it will usually take the other w/ it and you will not have 12 power.
I switched to the Oxigenic shower head. It does maximize water pressure. But, it is normal for it to drip when turned off, this maintains water temp.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:03 AM   #19

Typically you will only get one battery from the dealer and it will not be of the best quality. I had the dealer change the battery to two 6 volt golf cart batteries before I picked the trailer. He discounted the cost of the one 12 volt battery from the two 6 volt batteries and I just had to pay the difference. I also changed the shower head to the Oxygenics.
melmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbears View Post
We purchased the E-Pro 14fk, and it came with two batteries in two battery boxes. Along with dual propane tanks. I understand that this is standard with the e-pro/geo pro lines. However, I have seen others who posted that the dealers only provided them with one battery and/or one propane tank.
The two propane tanks are included in all the geo/epros I've seen, and my Camping World gave them to me full. The battery box is provided by the dealer. In my case, they gave me a cash credit for the box and battery, because I came with my own golf cart batts and a box for them, as I told them I would. So when I arrived, there was not batt or box on the tongue.

Tags
batteries, geo pro