Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #1

Battery charging

Own a 2502s mini lite with the built in battery cut-off switch. I have only camped in it once with no problems. Getting ready for my second trip tonight I plugged it in and turned on the fridge and looked down at the battery cut-switch and realized it wasn't on. I assume the battery won't charge with this switch off and the camper plugged in?
gserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by gserve View Post
I assume the battery won't charge with this switch off and the camper plugged in?
Keerect! The battery charges off the converter and the cut off is between the battery and the electrical panel, isolating the battery. Only the power jack (if equipped) and emergency brake will operate with the switch off. Your battery WILL charge from the tow vehicle with the switch off as that is a separate circuit notconnected to the electrical panel.

Hope this helps,
AW
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #3

Yes verified at battery terminals. When plugged in,switch off I had 12.58V with switch on I had 13.19V.
gserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:38 PM   #4

Sorry to hijack this, but found this post when looking into my disconnect switch. I can probably do some rooting around and come up with the answers, but just hoping I could avoid that. I have the push pull disconnect switch in my Rockwood Roo. I assume switch IN is battery connected and pull OUT is disconnect, but my converter fan runs with it OUT when plugged into shore power and turns off when IN. I'm assuming the converter fan is running because the converter is on and also charging my TT battery. Also you say the tow vehicle will charge the battery regardless, but if I want to run my fridge on propane underway which way does the switch go? The DSI needs the 12v from the battery to operate, correct? I know there are opinions on whether to run the fridge on propane while underway, but I'm going on a long trip and last time I did this trip the fridge temp was pretty high by the time I got home. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by adellicson View Post
Sorry to hijack this, but found this post when looking into my disconnect switch. I can probably do some rooting around and come up with the answers, but just hoping I could avoid that. I have the push pull disconnect switch in my Rockwood Roo. I assume switch IN is battery connected and pull OUT is disconnect, but my converter fan runs with it OUT when plugged into shore power and turns off when IN. I'm assuming the converter fan is running because the converter is on and also charging my TT battery. Also you say the tow vehicle will charge the battery regardless, but if I want to run my fridge on propane underway which way does the switch go? The DSI needs the 12v from the battery to operate, correct? I know there are opinions on whether to run the fridge on propane while underway, but I'm going on a long trip and last time I did this trip the fridge temp was pretty high by the time I got home. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks
adellicson, first of all welcome to the forum. yes the battery disconnect switch must be in the 'connected' position to operate the fridge on propane. I am not familiar with the push/pull type, I would select a position and turn on a 12 volt indoor light if it lights power is on if not move the switch and try it again.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
if I want to run my fridge on propane underway which way does the switch go?
Pull it out and run the fridge en route.We do it all the time,
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:49 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I assume switch IN is battery connected and pull OUT is disconnect, ...

Nope, it's the other way around. Out is on, in is off. I find it easier to remember if you think of it like an emergency stop. You slam an e-stop in to kill power to whatever, same with this switch.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the disconnect was just an e-stop, but without the big red knob.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 06-25-2014, 10:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Nope, it's the other way around. Out is on, in is off. I find it easier to remember if you think of it like an emergency stop. You slam an e-stop in to kill power to whatever, same with this switch.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if the disconnect was just an e-stop, but without the big red knob.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Well maybe your's is wired differently but on mine Out is on and In is off. You can verify this by simply turning on a light. When the light goes off, the battery is disconnected.
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
Pull it out and run the fridge en route.We do it all the time,
Yep, same here.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:28 AM   #10

Out is on and in is off, battery power disconnected.
10Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 05:46 AM   #11

I made a "push to disconnect" label for mine because I kept forgetting which was which.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #12

Yes, I know mine is on when it's out because I'm always afraid I'll bump it with my foot and turn it off which will turn the frig off. I delibrately pushed it in without think about the frig and we had a melt down with all the food. Luckily it was the last leg of the trip back to home so we were able to salvage most o the food.

There's also a switch on the panel that says interior. It only controls a couple of lights however. I've found some screwball wiring in this thing and I suspect that wil be my next project.

Tags
battery, charging