Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #21

Agreed Lou....but this is hardly an "Emergency" switch..it's just a power cutoff button...not used for an emergency situation...just a power saving situation. Mine, like some of the others mentioned, is also located down low where something could easily hit it and push it in.

Ken
Kenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #22

Yup, mine is low in the storage compartment too.
I also can't imagine using unfused wiring to the break-away switch. That sounds like a fire waiting to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Lou and Paula

2014 Rockwood 8289WS UltraLite w/Revolution Pinbox Engaged.

2011 F250 Power Stroke Super Duty King Ranch Super Crew Cab w/Reese 16K Hitch
LouNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #23
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Another consideration

If you have a Schwintek in-wall slide (like my wardrobe slide) you need battery power to hold the slide IN while underway. If power is not applied to the slide controller, the slide is free to move out. This is how you operate it manually by disconnecting the power to the slide motor and pushing the slide in by hand. The slide has an electric brake. No power = no brake and the slide could deploy while you're rolling down the road.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:14 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by awellis3 View Post
If you have a Schwintek in-wall slide (like my wardrobe slide) you need battery power to hold the slide IN while underway. If power is not applied to the slide controller, the slide is free to move out. This is how you operate it manually by disconnecting the power to the slide motor and pushing the slide in by hand. The slide has an electric brake. No power = no brake and the slide could deploy while you're rolling down the road.
On my Rockwood, the slide will operate with the battery disconnect switch on or off. Apparently, the power for the slide comes directly from the slide controller and not thru the battery disconnect switch. I read that if you disconnect the motor wires at the controller, you can push or pull the slide. I guess that's assuming you don't have a seized up motor.
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
I have the same disconnect, when you turn off / push it in it will disconnect the power to your converter only. Your landing gear is wired after the switch so that to will shut off. I know this for a fact being some stuff moved on me during travel and pushed the switch in. When I got home the landing gear didn't work til I pulled that switch back to on. I put an "L" bracket in front of it so it can not happen again. Your breakaway should be wired to the pos on the battery. Your 7 pin tow plug is also wired in before the switch. If your switch is off your converter charger can not charge your battery when on 110v. You TV will be charging no matter what position your switch is in. I strongly suggest that anyone with that old car light switch that they use for a cut off that you protect it from anything that can move and push it in. The breakaway has to wired hot all the time. If yours is not I would change it. The last argument on this subject people stated the reason they use a switch like that is in case of an emergency it's easier to push it in then pull it out. That statement is wrong it will take the same amount of time to do. The switch itself is a bad design and should work just the opposite in is on out is off. At least this is what I have found. But remember this is FR and depending on who was on line that day yours could be different. That is why you can not get a wiring diagram from FR. I tried and that is what I was told buy FR themselves at the factory level not dealer.
Agree, good info.
My switch is right at the top of the steps a few inches off the floor. It's so easy to accidentally bump it.

One thing I'm assuming is that when connect to the tow vehicle, the battery will charge regardless of the battery disconnect position. Has anyone verified this? I'm going to put my voltmeter on it and verify that next time I hookup. I've done this with AC power on and mine works the same as yours.
Too Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:33 PM   #26

X2 not an emergency switch, but could cause an emergency given the placement and type of switch.
Fivealive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #27
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
On my Rockwood, the slide will operate with the battery disconnect switch on or off.
I had no idea that was the case. Makes more sense since it is safer that way. Thanks for the reply.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, towing