Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2007, 08:06 PM   #1

Bed Clearence

I have Rockwood 2007 8280. I am pulling it with a 2006 Chev. 3/4 ton 2500HD 2 wheel drive. I have only 4 in of clearence between the bed rail and bottom of fifth wheel. If I raise the fifth wheel hitch it will not be level. Nose high. Does anyone have any idea how to get about 6in of clearance. The fifth wheel has the torsion axles. No leaf springs to reverse. Thanks
Truckwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckwheel View Post
I have Rockwood 2007 8280. I am pulling it with a 2006 Chev. 3/4 ton 2500HD 2 wheel drive. I have only 4 in of clearance between the bed rail and bottom of fifth wheel. If I raise the fifth wheel hitch it will not be level. Nose high. Does anyone have any idea how to get about 6in of clearance. The fifth wheel has the torsion axles. No leaf springs to reverse. Thanks
The only thing I can think of is having a spacer installed between the torsion axle mount and the frame. Something similar to THIS.
The photo in the link is of a Shamrock Riser Kit(also for a Rockwood).
I would say a good fabrication shop could make & install a spacer for your rig.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:16 AM   #3

That looks like a pretty good solution Michael mentioned. You definitely don’t want to tow unless you’re level. I’ve got roughly 6” of space between the truck bed and my 5er. Any less and I think I would want to do something about it.

Good luck and let us know what you do.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 07:04 AM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
I've seen this mod done several times by owners who wanted extra space to install larger wheels and tires. I think Mike is right on track and that his is the only viable solution. It does raise your center of gravity a bit and might have some slight effect on how your trailer tows.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:06 PM   #5

Thanks I did not know Rockwood made a spacer to raise the body height.I looked at mine and I think I will add a 2 in square tube in between the axle and body.
Truckwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 07:32 PM   #6
Cyber Phrenologist

Truckwheel...

New guy here.

I was wondering what the height (from ground) of your truck rails is. I have a 0- F150 and the rails are a bit high. I plan to get that same trailer you have and I'm wondering if I will have the same problem.

Radio
Radio is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, rockwood