Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #1

Bent stabilizing jack

I am now wondering just how common this problem is. The guy parked next to me said it happened to him. When I took it by the dealership the service manager said he had seen it 2 other times and I just read the post from bobmart5705 saying it had happened to him. I did put a little pressure on my jacks trying to prevent the shaking inside but did not feel that I put that much pressure on them. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1395073493.791164.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	47874
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

I think it is more common than what is known, a lot of folks put blocks under them so they don't extend very much, but IMO, I want them as vertical as possible to reduce the stress on the legs where the strap braces connect.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #3

Good point old coot. Vertical probably would be better. I have been thinking about a set of plastic blocks anyway and that would allow a little more vertical set up. They are also lighter than my 4x4 blocks that I made.
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
Camper Less Camping

IMO...think most users must be setting up the rear stabs beyond just touching the ground and actually lifting the rear of the camper which I can see putting stress on these light stab jacks, thus causing the bend from these pics I see...again only my observation as I have not witness this problem with my current rig or past camper that had this jack design.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
IMO...think most users must be setting up the rear stabs beyond just touching the ground and actually lifting the rear of the camper which I can see putting stress on these light stab jacks, thus causing the bend from these pics I see...again only my observation as I have not witness this problem with my current rig or past camper that had this jack design.
You have to lift the camper a little to know they are in contact with the ground, otherwise they do nothing.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:28 PM   #6
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
You have to lift the camper a little to know they are in contact with the ground, otherwise they do nothing.

You are right and I do the same...just my observation at campgrounds, seems like some folks set them up like they are trying to change a flat tire...think the sweet spot for these jacks are critical to keep from bending like a wet noodle?!

Old 03-17-2014, 12:35 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun Po-Boy View Post
You are right and I do the same...just my observation at campgrounds, seems like some folks set them up like they are trying to change a flat tire...think the sweet spot for these jacks are critical to keep from bending like a wet noodle?!
After reinforcing the legs and replacing the strap braces, I don't worry about bending them.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:47 PM   #8
Site Team

Just wondering..is it possible to put enough pressure on the jacks to bend the frame?
I have / had this kind of power jack like op on 2 units. I really dont think they do all the great of a job compared to the old bal-jack. (http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/a.../157611_ts.jpg)
I think someday I might switch back to them. But here again is it possible to bend the frame?

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platokidd View Post
Just wondering..is it possible to put enough pressure on the jacks to bend the frame?
I have / had this kind of power jack like op on 2 units. I really dont think they do all the great of a job compared to the old bal-jack. (http://simage1.sportsmansguide.com/a.../157611_ts.jpg)
I think someday I might switch back to them. But here again is it possible to bend the frame?
I don't think you can bend the frame upwards from the jacks, but you sure could/can if you put a load on it downwards from add on racks, etc. The walls/flooring stiffen the framework in any upwards pressure. Kind of like a monocoque/unibody design (strictly in the upwards direction).
Old 03-17-2014, 12:59 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I don't think you can bend the frame upwards from the jacks, but you sure could/can if you put a load on it downwards from add on racks, etc. The walls/flooring stiffen the framework in any upwards pressure. Kind of like a monocoque/unibody design (strictly in the upwards direction).
So then a bike rake on the bumper is not a good idea? dw2b wants us to take the bikes. (2 of them) Already have a tire and grill mount on the rear stock from mfg..

Zelda the campin dog
Platokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
So then a bike rake on the bumper is not a good idea? dw2b wants us to take the bikes. (2 of them) Already have a tire and grill mount on the rear stock from mfg..
Consult the mfg, but I would refrain from adding anything to the rear bumper that was NOT factory approved. Too many horror stories posted on this forum of the bumper tube tearing off and falling on the highway.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:

Not the bumper. As Coot said- many horror stories (happened to a close friend of mine (I know how that sounds )). But, a hitch mounted to the frame with reinforcements made- that seems to be able to be done safely.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:14 PM   #13

After reinforcing the legs and replacing the strap braces, I don't worry about bending them.

OC- can you post your handi work? Would like to see what others have done before I go and put some angle iron to it

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post

OC- can you post your handi work? Would like to see what others have done before I go and put some angle iron to it
Here is a reinforced leg, I also made 3/4" pipe braces to replace the straps. Split a 26" or 27" pc of 2-1/4" x 0.150 wall square tubing, notched the ends for a taper and welded them to the bottom of the legs.

You could do the same with steel angle to make a "U" shaped channel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00208.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	47892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stab Leg reinforcments ready to trim.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	47893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stab Leg reinforcments.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	47894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Reinforced Stab Jack Leg.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	47895  
Old 03-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #15

When we purchased our RV the main channel of the stabilizer was buckled. The person that replaced it said it's not uncommon. The instructions read to only hold the button for two seconds after the pads make contact
Old 03-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster 84 View Post
When we purchased our RV the main channel of the stabilizer was buckled. The person that replaced it said it's not uncommon. The instructions read to only hold the button for two seconds after the pads make contact
On my rear one, I welded 2 pcs of 2"x2"x1/8" angle to the top channel and I don't put an excessive amount of pressure on them. I might raise the rear 1/4"-1/2" due to the ends of the channel are very flimsy. The one in front of the axle is tied to the 2"x4" tubing at the ends and can't bend, which allows me to just about lift the tires off the ground before it trips the 20A auto reset breaker.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #17

Hey Coot, those look nice and stout now. It's hard to believe the cheap crap the factory or Lippert will use just to cut costs. I've seen stronger u-channel on garden carts. Great pics btw, thanks for sharing.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bent