Old 04-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #21
For those interested Champion has a new 3100W inverter generator out.
75531i (US) - Champion Power Equipment

I saw a demo model at the Quartzsite RV Show and it has a 30 amp outlet, econo mode and pretty quiet. While I was talking to the rep there and said I had an issue with the Champion 2000w model overloading a little too easily under a brief surge scenario. He informed me there is a firmware upgrade available and if I send in the control module it's done by them free of charge.

I thought this is pretty good customer service, because I'm a year out of warranty. The rep was from SuperGen Products

Cheers Ray

Full-Time RVer, loving the life.

raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #22
When we had the 5th wheel I bought a Yamaha 3000 inverter to power it when we were off camp grounds. It worked perfectly and is by far the quietest generator that I own. The one drawback is that it is heavy, too heavy to go lifting in to the back of a truck. Fortunately, I have tractors and front end loaders to do that. We ended up selling the fiver but I kept the generator and use it to power the class "C" when it's sitting in the driveway. Also use it for back-up when the power goes out.

If I were to do it again I'd probably get two 2000 watt Hondas or Yamahas that I could connect together to give 30 amps when required and they would be a lot easier to tote around.

ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #23
Site Team
Where would Powerhouse generators fall into this picture as being quiet? I found a RV dealer that rents this brand and then I saw that Camping World carries it too so I am curious.
Great choice for "Living within my means" and camping for one...

2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Camping History: 45 Trips / 133 Nights / 3736 Miles
FRF Social Group: Campers of the West
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #24
I have a 2000W Honda. Light and quiet. When there is no electricity needed it goes down to an idle you barely here. Many service centers. 1000W good for basic needs.
2000W if you are going to use microwave. Depending on A/C size you may need 3500+
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #25
I had a 3000 watt honda, very quiet. It was great but as they say heavy to get out and into the truck. So I got a 4000 watt juice box(onan) that fits on the back of the trailer into a hitch. It's remote controlled, works great has fold up wheels that can be height adjustable. It's not too bad for making noise. I store it in a shed in the backyard. It's a job to move out of the shed onto the grass and then onto the cement patio. I have a couple of herniated discs in my lower back so I have to have someone help me to move it. So I'm think of getting 2, 2000 watt hondas, One a companion model and they will hook up together to produce the wattage that I require for the 5er. You can also get a 5 gallon marine type gas tank with a hook up that goes to both gennys and they will run for a long time if needed on that setup. They are quiet as two mice.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #26
We have two hoda 2000's at work that we use on construction and jobsites. They get the crap beat out of them and they really don't get maintained as well as they should. We've had them for about 6 years and they still work great. So when I was going to get a gen for home...Honda 2000. You absolutely get what you pay for.
2004 Wildcat 28BH
2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7CTD
fast murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #27
I just bought a new Lifan 5600 inverter with auto throttle and love it. It is very quiet (59db). The only draw back is it is a little heave at 144 pounds. It has a three year warranty.
georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #28
Yamaha video

Originally Posted by checca View Post
Dual yamaha ef2000si ... Check out the link where I got mine!

Yamaha Generators | Yamaha Inverters | Best Online Deals

Or honda ... But who likes red anyway?
interesting video
I have owned many Honda and Yamaha motorcycles over the years
have loved them all
I must say that after seeing this Yamaha video
in the near future I'm going to the Yamaha dealer
so as to check out their generators

Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #29
what size and brand would you recommend ?

Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

but when someone asks for the "Best" generators, the vast majority would answer Honda or Yamaha.

ok you all
here is a quick question for you if you would
we have a 20' Rockwood trailer with one AC unit
I would like to buy a generator that will run the AC
AC and a couple of lights
don't really need to run AC and mico-oven at the same time
no room in trailer -- will be carried in the bed of the truck
I don't mind too much about the cost -- looking for quality
weight is a slight issue though
although the wife works out and can help me lift
thank you very much for any replies

question -- what size and brand would you recommend ?

Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #30
Magazine Editor
Although this thread is a little older, I thought I would throw in my two cents regarding quiet generators. I'm the editor of Volt Magazine, which focuses on generators and power requirements.

The posters here made some very good points and described inverter generators accurately, but no one addressed what sound rating a quiet generator should be rated at. When it comes to noise output, generators are rated on what is called DBA - which is levels of Decibels on the A scale of sound. For a generator to be considered quiet it needs to have a DBA level of below 56 and the closer to 50 the better. The quietest generator I know of is a Honda that comes in at 49 dba. To put this in perspective, human conversation takes place at 60 to 65 dba.

The second consideration when you are buying any generator is that it is compliant with both CARB rules which stands for California Air Resources Board - as well as EPA rules. The goverment website it Air Resources Board - Homepage

You can read a lot more on which models run quiet etc and what to look for on our website at Volt Magazine's Quiet Generator Guide | Finding the best quiet generators

Hope that helps everyone.

Volt Magazine is offline   Reply With Quote