Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #21

For those interested Champion has a new 3100W inverter generator out.
75531i (US) - Champion Power Equipment

I saw a demo model at the Quartzsite RV Show and it has a 30 amp outlet, econo mode and pretty quiet. While I was talking to the rep there and said I had an issue with the Champion 2000w model overloading a little too easily under a brief surge scenario. He informed me there is a firmware upgrade available and if I send in the control module it's done by them free of charge.

I thought this is pretty good customer service, because I'm a year out of warranty. The rep was from SuperGen Products

Cheers Ray

raytronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #22
ETF

When we had the 5th wheel I bought a Yamaha 3000 inverter to power it when we were off camp grounds. It worked perfectly and is by far the quietest generator that I own. The one drawback is that it is heavy, too heavy to go lifting in to the back of a truck. Fortunately, I have tractors and front end loaders to do that. We ended up selling the fiver but I kept the generator and use it to power the class "C" when it's sitting in the driveway. Also use it for back-up when the power goes out.

If I were to do it again I'd probably get two 2000 watt Hondas or Yamahas that I could connect together to give 30 amps when required and they would be a lot easier to tote around.
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #23
Site Team

Where would Powerhouse generators fall into this picture as being quiet? I found a RV dealer that rents this brand and then I saw that Camping World carries it too so I am curious.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #24

I have a 2000W Honda. Light and quiet. When there is no electricity needed it goes down to an idle you barely here. Many service centers. 1000W good for basic needs.
2000W if you are going to use microwave. Depending on A/C size you may need 3500+
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #25

I had a 3000 watt honda, very quiet. It was great but as they say heavy to get out and into the truck. So I got a 4000 watt juice box(onan) that fits on the back of the trailer into a hitch. It's remote controlled, works great has fold up wheels that can be height adjustable. It's not too bad for making noise. I store it in a shed in the backyard. It's a job to move out of the shed onto the grass and then onto the cement patio. I have a couple of herniated discs in my lower back so I have to have someone help me to move it. So I'm think of getting 2, 2000 watt hondas, One a companion model and they will hook up together to produce the wattage that I require for the 5er. You can also get a 5 gallon marine type gas tank with a hook up that goes to both gennys and they will run for a long time if needed on that setup. They are quiet as two mice.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #26

We have two hoda 2000's at work that we use on construction and jobsites. They get the crap beat out of them and they really don't get maintained as well as they should. We've had them for about 6 years and they still work great. So when I was going to get a gen for home...Honda 2000. You absolutely get what you pay for.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:02 PM   #27

I just bought a new Lifan 5600 inverter with auto throttle and love it. It is very quiet (59db). The only draw back is it is a little heave at 144 pounds. It has a three year warranty.
georgew48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #28

Yamaha video

Quote:
Originally Posted by checca View Post
Dual yamaha ef2000si ... Check out the link where I got mine!

Yamaha Generators | Yamaha Inverters | Best Online Deals

Or honda ... But who likes red anyway?
interesting video
I have owned many Honda and Yamaha motorcycles over the years
have loved them all
but
I must say that after seeing this Yamaha video
in the near future I'm going to the Yamaha dealer
so as to check out their generators

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #29

what size and brand would you recommend ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

but when someone asks for the "Best" generators, the vast majority would answer Honda or Yamaha.

ok you all
here is a quick question for you if you would
we have a 20' Rockwood trailer with one AC unit
I would like to buy a generator that will run the AC
AC and a couple of lights
don't really need to run AC and mico-oven at the same time
no room in trailer -- will be carried in the bed of the truck
I don't mind too much about the cost -- looking for quality
weight is a slight issue though
although the wife works out and can help me lift
thank you very much for any replies

question -- what size and brand would you recommend ?

Mountainman
Old 08-23-2013, 05:25 PM   #30
Magazine Editor

Although this thread is a little older, I thought I would throw in my two cents regarding quiet generators. I'm the editor of Volt Magazine, which focuses on generators and power requirements.

The posters here made some very good points and described inverter generators accurately, but no one addressed what sound rating a quiet generator should be rated at. When it comes to noise output, generators are rated on what is called DBA - which is levels of Decibels on the A scale of sound. For a generator to be considered quiet it needs to have a DBA level of below 56 and the closer to 50 the better. The quietest generator I know of is a Honda that comes in at 49 dba. To put this in perspective, human conversation takes place at 60 to 65 dba.

The second consideration when you are buying any generator is that it is compliant with both CARB rules which stands for California Air Resources Board - as well as EPA rules. The goverment website it Air Resources Board - Homepage

You can read a lot more on which models run quiet etc and what to look for on our website at Volt Magazine's Quiet Generator Guide | Finding the best quiet generators

Hope that helps everyone.
Volt Magazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #31

I've been living off the grid for the last two months, in Yosemite. (Yeah, that's another story for another time--but it was GREAT). Anyway. I had two Yamaha 2000, that I used. I couldn't be happier with their performance AND the DB level. I was the Campground Host, so I was very aware of the DB level. Can't go wrong with the Yamaha.
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:04 PM   #32
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt Magazine View Post
Although this thread is a little older, I thought I would throw in my two cents regarding quiet generators. I'm the editor of Volt Magazine, which focuses on generators and power requirements.

The posters here made some very good points and described inverter generators accurately, but no one addressed what sound rating a quiet generator should be rated at. When it comes to noise output, generators are rated on what is called DBA - which is levels of Decibels on the A scale of sound. For a generator to be considered quiet it needs to have a DBA level of below 56 and the closer to 50 the better. The quietest generator I know of is a Honda that comes in at 49 dba. To put this in perspective, human conversation takes place at 60 to 65 dba.

The second consideration when you are buying any generator is that it is compliant with both CARB rules which stands for California Air Resources Board - as well as EPA rules. The goverment website it Air Resources Board - Homepage

You can read a lot more on which models run quiet etc and what to look for on our website at Volt Magazine's Quiet Generator Guide | Finding the best quiet generators

Hope that helps everyone.
welcome to the forum !
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:47 AM   #33

What about propane powered generators? I'm leaning that direction because I don't wish to deal with gas containers, spills etc.

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
2016-17 days, 2017-zero days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:29 AM   #34

If you're a prepper, propane is pretty nice because the fuel doesn't go bad on you, but for normal regular use, they are pretty inefficient. They burn a bit cleaner and are a bit easier on the engine, but inefficient and you'll notice a reduction in available wattage. Propane can also be more difficult to locate than gasoline or diesel.

If you're worried about spills just get an extended run tank and hose. Mine uses a marine style locking fuel clip so you just plug and play. Just sayin :-)
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:32 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I've been living off the grid for the last two months, in Yosemite. (Yeah, that's another story for another time--but it was GREAT). Anyway. I had two Yamaha 2000, that I used. I couldn't be happier with their performance AND the DB level. I was the Campground Host, so I was very aware of the DB level. Can't go wrong with the Yamaha.
X2. Same setup here. The little Honda's probably run about the same. Very quite and fuel efficient. They ARE rather spendy though if you compare cost to wattage, but well worth the quiet, clean, light weight power. My Yamahas have never given so much as a hickup in the 2 years I've been running them.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
though i have no problems with Chinese-made inverter generators, like the Dometic or the Champion, the OP asked for the "Best and Quietest".

I agree. I recently was looking for the best in motorized bicycles. Bought a Honda 49cc. A Chinese clone would compare in no way. Many times you get what you pay for.

Since the age of 10, I have owned numerous Honda and Yamaha engines and have never had one break down on me but, have seen many of the Chinese engines break down in next to no time.

Check in with us after you have put them through a (hard) 5 year test.

Mountainmanbob
Old 10-06-2014, 07:04 AM   #37

Honda advocate

So many pros for the Honda...noise, weight, fuel economy, reliability.
All those were reasons to buy the two 2000i's that I presently still own.
I wanted to be able to run my A/C so the parallel feature is great.
But I still wanted the option of having to use only one for the better fuel economy....better then running a 3000i all the time..and chances are that one of the generators will always run.
I also have the extended run feature with the 6 gallon tank.
gettmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #38

Lots of comments. For me, quiet and reliable were the reasons I purchased 2 Honda 2k genies.

Brandi
Full timer at large

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
mzbrandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:44 PM   #39

Generator's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
If you're a prepper, propane is pretty nice because the fuel doesn't go bad on you, but for normal regular use, they are pretty inefficient. They burn a bit cleaner and are a bit easier on the engine, but inefficient and you'll notice a reduction in available wattage. Propane can also be more difficult to locate than gasoline or diesel.

If you're worried about spills just get an extended run tank and hose. Mine uses a marine style locking fuel clip so you just plug and play. Just sayin :-)
@Yarome, Thank you I don't find propane powered models on Camping World, did find them on Amazon, some are even dual fuel, gas and LPG.

2009- 42 days; 2010-40 days, 2011- 40 days. 2012- 30 days,
2013- 14 days, 2014- 21 days, 2015- 42 days
2016-17 days, 2017-zero days
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans View Post
I want that gig!!! That's our dream for retirement