Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-14-2018, 09:33 AM   #1
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Best power trailer mover/valet?

We are fortunate to be able to park our TT "in our back 40", off a narrow alley. We have a set of gates that give us 20' clearance to come and go. Up until last year, the property across the alley from us was undeveloped/all woods, owned by a family friend. It was really easy to just pull up slightly into the wooded property (with permission ) and then easily back through the gates into my storage area.

In the past year, my friend sold the property and it is being developed with, so far 7 ugly McMansions. The alley was not widened to accommodate them, we have already had 2 people back into our cars in our driveway while they were backing out of the driveway of the new house across from us.

It is getting more and more difficult to exit and back my TT into storage without rolling over the driveway or grass of one of the new houses. Our last trip, they were pouring a new driveway immediately across from us and it took us nearly an hour to get our TT pulled out (forward, backward, forward, backward, in inches at a time) so that we did not roll over the new cement or the 2x6 framework that intruded in the alleyway, making it even narrower and more difficult to "escape".

I have been looking at power trailer movers thinking that, if I took my Expedition/TV out of the picture, it would be easier to maneuver the TT in and out without rolling over anyone's new lawn or driveway. Our property back there is a grassy incline leading to a rock pad. The mover needs to be able to traverse this to get the TT in/out of place. I am seeing one with tank-like wheel structure but it is really expensive. To be safe, I want a unit that can move 6,000 pounds.

Suggestions appreciated!!
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyCamper1962 View Post
Suggestions appreciated!!
While we're waiting for someone who knows what he's talking about to show up, I have a suggestion. Look into pairing a manual dolly (usually fairly cheap, $50-$80) with something motorized, say, a used lawn tractor.
As I understand your problem, it's the turn into/out of the gate that's the issue? A lawn tractor could effect the turn, then your truck could push it up the hill onto the pad.
A PITA solution? I agree. BUT any mover powerful enough to push that rig across and up a grassy grade will be really expensive.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #3

Thank you, interesting thought. Yes, the issue is maneuvering in and out through the gates. Once I am aimed straight in the alley, I am good. I did originally look at the wheel dollies operated by automotive batteries but they only work on flat/paved surfaces. Using a tractor would certainly give the oomph needed to go up the slope. But as you said, the pain of the process and then I have a tractor to maintain and store.

Here is the pricey one I found... https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...j5AVQQkjAICygA

Thank you for your suggestion!
Old 10-14-2018, 10:59 AM   #4

Is anything going to change once the construction on the new houses is all done? Are they building anything into the alleyway that they don't have right-of-way for? You mentioned having a difficult time because of wet cement and frames, but once that's set up and done, wood frames gone, will it be a problem then? Just wondering if this is more a temporary problem. It's hard to understand it without knowing what it looks like.
I have to pull into neighbors across the street front yard to get mine backed in beside my house, fortunately we don't have anything but rocks in front yards here and the neighbors don't mind. They even make sure they don't have any vehicles in my way for when I get back from trips.
tlspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:19 AM   #5

Unfortunately it's a permanent problem. At the moment it is made even MORE difficult having to maneuver around portable potties and things like the construction equipment, dumpsters, and wet driveway framework jutting into the alley. But even with all done, as a few of the houses are finished on the outside and just getting detail work on the inside, the real problem is that the alley is still only 12' wide from my property line to the neighbor across the alley's line which leaves not enough room to maneuver my TV attached to the TT without rolling over the neighboring property driveway or grass/lawn. I have hopes that my new neighbors would be OK with an occasional roll-over but the houses by me are not even sold yet I am not really counting on it based on the size of the houses and the folks who have purchased and moved in so far. And the developer has made it abundantly clear to me that I am not to roll over any of those properties with my car or TT. Not a good situation.

I am starting to think that maybe a $4,000 investment to help us keep our camper onsite and give us the freedom to come and go would outweigh the cost and inconveniences of moving our TT to a storage site. Ugh.
Old 10-14-2018, 11:29 AM   #6
54 Years, 13 RV's

I have a tongue dolly that I can use my lawn tractor to pull my TT around. It works better with my neighbors ATV. Please forgive the silly picture, as it was just a gag.

The dolly is rated at 800# I think.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170929_102701.jpeg
Views:	504
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	189156
Old 10-14-2018, 11:38 AM   #7

Perhaps a receiver on the front of your tv. A storage lot near me uses a lawn tractor to move the tt around
I hope you find a solution because it sure is nice having your unit where you can keep an eye on it
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:20 PM   #8

Trailer dolly

I suggest you Google "Motorized Trailer Dolly or Trailer Mule" -- they can be quite expensive but maybe the best solution for your situation. I'm not sure how well they work on uneven surfaces, but I know they work great in a boat storage place my son works at. Good luck.
moshe1436 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:24 PM   #9
54 Years, 13 RV's

I agree. I've seen them with 4 fairly well treaded tires for less than ideal terrain. Be sure to get a 12V version. Some use power off of your trailer plug or RV battery rather than a self contained battery.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:29 PM   #10

Trailer Valet XL

Works great! I move my 35’ Flagstaff with it all the time.
caddyshak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:54 PM   #11

Trailer mover

We have a 4300# camper. The Trax we purchased to move it does the job well. It has plenty of power provided you have sufficient traction. It does take some muscle to maneuver and the hitch takes some getting used to but it does the job. It's rated for up to 6000# and they have movers for larger units.

Ours ran around fifteen hundred if I remember correctly. Wayne is very cooperative and can assist you with any questions. https://traxpowerdolly.com/
Retiredtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 01:59 PM   #12

Post Front Trailer Hitch

I recommend you put a front receiver on your TV. With it it makes backing in the trailer easy. Like you, I have a 16' wide street that I have to put my trailer in. It is like pickup the trailer's hitch and steering it in by hand with the ball on the front of your TV. Check here for more information on a front receiver for you Expedition.

https://www.etrailer.com/vm/Ford/Expedition/fmr

RetiredAF1955-1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #13

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I am looking at all of them; also still shopping around. This looks interesting except that I would have to put the wheel back on the tongue jack instead of the pad I have on there... https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Line-E...ustomerReviews
Old 10-14-2018, 02:38 PM   #14

I move my 2504s minilite with this.

I have a 2504s mini lite that I park tounge first in my driveway, I use this Power Caster unit to move my tt, it will tow 30,000 lbs. You can find information @ www.powercaster.com.
Relder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:55 PM   #15
54 Years, 13 RV's

Quote:
Thank you so much for your suggestions. I am looking at all of them; also still shopping around. This looks interesting except that I would have to put the wheel back on the tongue jack instead of the pad I have on there... https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Line-E...ustomerReviews
Seems like a bit of a PITA to install vs a tongue/ball type unit.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:01 PM   #16

Yea, agreed, I would just install it and keep it there; only remove when trading my TT. I would worry if my TT had low clearance even though the ad says "no problem" but my Rockwood has incredible ground clearance, so high off the ground, so I think it could work....

Also found this mobile unit: https://parkit360.ca/pages/videos
Old 10-14-2018, 03:04 PM   #17
54 Years, 13 RV's

Quote:
Yea, agreed, I would just install it and keep it there; only remove when trading my TT. I would worry if my TT had low clearance even though the ad says "no problem" but my Rockwood has incredible ground clearance, so high off the ground, so I think it could work....

Also found this mobile unit: https://parkit360.ca/pages/videos
I've looked at that unit and it looks very formidable.
Old 10-14-2018, 03:08 PM   #18
code.org

X2 on Powercaster

Over 20 years ago I poured a pad in front of the house and bought a PowerCaster 3 to move the trailer, nose in, up to a block wall separating my property from the neighbor's. Best thing I ever bought for my trailer. The PowerCaster people are great and recently replaced the tires on my unit.

People are always asking how I get the trailer, nose in, to within two feet of the block wall. I tell them I disassemble the wall.

You do need a relatively flat, paved surface and a long, heavy duty extension cord for a PowerCaster, however.
2015-14 Nights, '16-90 Nights, '17-101 Nights, '18-146 Nights, '19-76 Nights '20-56 Nights '21-42 Nights '22-86 Nights '23-65 Nights
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff34 View Post
People are always asking how I get the trailer, nose in, to within two feet of the block wall. I tell them I disassemble the wall.
Love it I've wondered the same thing. Now I know!
Old 10-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredtwo View Post
We have a 4300# camper. The Trax we purchased to move it does the job well. It has plenty of power provided you have sufficient traction. It does take some muscle to maneuver and the hitch takes some getting used to but it does the job. It's rated for up to 6000# and they have movers for larger units.

Ours ran around fifteen hundred if I remember correctly. Wayne is very cooperative and can assist you with any questions. https://traxpowerdolly.com/

Wow that is quite a capable monster yet in a manageable package! 3 batteries, I like that for power needed to get up the grassy incline.

Tags
power, trailer