Old 12-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #1
Best route to Yosemite

Happy Holidays!

We will be going to Yosemite in May, and we are lookong for the best route from Madison, Wisconsin. We will be towing our A-frame.

Thanks in advance!

JC Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
You will find your friend here!

Days camping (2015)----88 days
Days camping (2016) ---110 days
2016 Wildcat MAXX 28RKX (33' TT), 2007 13' Scamp
2015 Ram Laramie Hemi
30 years RV'ing
12 different RV's
RSchleder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:13 PM   #3
Moderators' Assistant
Better make reservations soon.
We tried to get 3 nights, in May in the Valley.
Started in December and couldn't get even one site.
Had to reserve for April.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:19 PM   #4
Most direct/fastest to the west is US-151 to Cedar Rapids, IA, then south on I-380 to I-80, then all the way west. If you want to go into CA and the west entrance, go to Sacramento, then Rte 99 south to Merced. I took this from west to east leaving a summer job near San Francisco to get back to UW-Madison (albeit 35 yrs ago) and grades aren't excessive for the most part. If you wanted to come into the park from the east, it looks like you could head south out of Reno, NV. on Rte 395, but I have no idea what the terrain/grades might be like.
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2007)
2012 Roo19 - hybid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
Depending on the winter we have in California (we're hoping for a lot of snow to get us out of this severe drought!). Tioga Pass which is the route from the East into the park could be possibly still be closed so keep an eye on the road conditions. They typically close it for winter. In that case, once you get to California, Highway 99 south from Sacramento is a good route. From there, I prefer Highway 140 from Merced to Yosemite because the grades aren't as steep but there was a length restriction on a temporary bridge. I got through it at that time towing a 30 ft. 5th wheel without an issue. Tour buses go that route as well. There is a height restriction from 140 due to a rock tunnel so check with the park. The route from Modesto has a steep grade called Priest Grade but it is doable. Others with more recent experience will chime in.
2015 Rockwood 8329SS TT
2004 Chevy 2500HD D/A 4X4 CC SB
Andersen Weight Distribution hitch
lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Thank you!
JC Slugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Better make reservations soon.
We tried to get 3 nights, in May in the Valley.
Started in December and couldn't get even one site.
Had to reserve for April.
In case you aren't aware, as stated, reservations go fast, especially for the late spring and summer. You will want to get on the reservation web site the day reservations open for your time period and grab one. Last year we made reservations for April of this year and the first 2 campsites we were about to book were gone by the time we decided to click the reservation. The best ones go fast... If you don't know which camp site you want, go and look now for a few that will fit your camper and TV and be ready to reserve on the day it opens. For early May it looks like December 15th for late May it looks like January 15th.

If you want to see some of the camp sites, we used this web site:

Not sure about the route because we always came from west of the Valley and we only had a truck camper at the time.
2016 Windjammer 3006WK
2010 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Diesel, Front Hitch, Air Lift 5000 Rear Air Bags.
Equalizer E4 1.4k/14k WD Hitch.
Furrion FOS48TA Observation Camera
Garmin RV-760 GPS
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:23 PM   #8
Come south to St. Louis and connect to I-70 West near St. Charles. There is a great RV Park there. Continue West on I-70 to the
Denver area, lots to see there. Then continue West into Utah and don't miss Arches NP and Canyonlands. Once you hit Grand Junction, head north towards Salt Lake City and I-80 West. Pony Express RV Park is top notch near Salt Lake. Continue into Nevada. At Reno, head south on US Rte 395 through some spectacular mountain scenery. At route 120, head West through Tioga Pass into Yosemite. It's tough getting campsites in Yosemite Valley, but try anyway. South of Yosemite on Rte 41 is the town of Oakhurst with a couple of nice RV Parks. Ride the narrow gauge railroad at Yosemite Mountain Sugar Pine RR a bit north of Oakhurst. Tell them "Jake" sent you.
Jakie-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:48 PM   #9
I would agree that the best way into California, if Yosemite is your goal, is Tioga Pass. I think, however, that it is always best to avoid the Interstates whenever possible. The absolute best route across Nevada is not I-80, but US Hwy 50. I have made the trip both ways, and I can tell you that 50 gives you a much truer view of Nevada. It is uncrowded and gives you a chance to understand the charm of the state. On 80 you are simply fighting for space among the 18wheelers. Hwy 50 intersects with US 395 a bit south of Reno, and you can follow it south to Lee Vining and the road over Tioga. What ever route you choose, I hope you have a great trip. Yosemite in spring (or any other time of the year) is breathtaking.

Jamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 11:59 PM   #10
Too old to be too smart
If you take US-50, beware the speed trap at Austin, NV! They MEAN it!!

There's so little traffic through town, and the town cop would just LOVE to have something to do! :-))

2004 Terry 250RKS, perfect for the two of us and the pups. It recently replaced our Flagstaff 21FB.

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3:73's
SpringerPop is online now   Reply With Quote