Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2011, 08:10 PM   #1

Beware Rockwoods spares shipping costs

I recently ordered a replacement 8" faucet for our Rockwood Utra-lite 2607. As we live in New Zealand, spare parts can sometimes be a little difficult. I emailed and phoned Rockwood, the correct spare was identified. I asked for it to be shipped by post as I was in no hurry.....sorry, as it was oversize it would have to be couriered (a box 12"x12" and 2 Lbs)...too big for post ?.....the faucet was priced at $ 26.28, great price so I ordered it...the person was unable to give me a shipping cost, I had recently bought several products from the USA, larger and heavier shipped 'priority UPS' at a cost of less than $50...It makes it very expensive but I was expecting something similar.....needless to say I was surprised when I was charged $122.59 freight (and it was the cheapest rate)..I contacted the person who took my order, I had to chase her for a reply, the price was correct and it was because I was 'overseas'.....I have tried to contact the head of Rockwood support....no reply!.....this is our second Rockwood, we were thinking about buying another.....maybe we will have another look at Australian and/or British travel trailers...I'm not a 'happy camper'
snow49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Site Team

Sorry about your experience!
That is crazy.
Many of us here have replaced faucets in our RVs with new from home supply/building
stores. There is nothing special about most RV faucets except they are cheap and
almost totally plastic.
We can get higher quality replacements at building supply stores.
I assume the same would be true in New Zealand.

Welcome to the forum!!
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #3

Hi.....this type of fitting/mounting is unavailale here in New Zealand, and yes when you go online there are plenty of companies stocking similar faucets...BUT....it is almost impossible to get these companies to ship overseas, I have asked why and all I get is 'because we don't, we only ship to the 48 + 2'....there is no rational reason behind this as far as I can find out. I regularly buy 'bits and pieces' from China, Hong Kong, Canada and occaisonally from Europe, most are similar sized and weight..i.e. 17" laptop screen from Vancouver, Priority UPS $48.....laptop battery from Hong Kong was free shipping and last week a 'Trail Camera' from China..free shipping..all similar sized and weight packages to the faucet. I liked the style of the faucet, and the $26 pricetag was OK....I would have to pay freight no matter who I bought from. Next time you are online, check that companies shipping, virtually all order programmes have no facility for overseas shipping including Rockwood, we had to 'fiddle the address'. Yes, I whole heardedly agree, it is crazy....and very frustrating. As Rockwood are exporting their products, I would have expected their spare parts department to be aware of this and not 'exploit' their customers.
snow49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #4

the interesting thing is that some of those parts are made in China.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:50 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I feel your pain. last week on Thursday I ordered a part for a machine $15.00 for part no problem ....
I needed it next day air ........ 3 states away cost me $95.00 to ship
Part weighed 3 lbs.
please.

So although you feel like you got hosed we get the same treatment within the lower 48.

I hope you get a refund! I didn't.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote