Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2007, 11:48 AM   #1

Bike Rack

Just Wondering If Anyone Knows Of
A Bike Rack Other Than The Ladder Rack That
Goes Around A Spare On The Back Of The Trailer And
Carries Three Bikes?i Might Have To Custom Build.
HOWIE BEDELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Get a 2" receiver welded to the frame of your trailer.

If you mount a bike rack to your bumper, most often it will twist the bumper off at the welds.

A fabricating shop can custom make one, or you can get a motorhome receiver that is adjustable.
(Tweaked!!)
2013 Columbus 320RS-ITS HERE!!
huntr70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 02:16 PM   #3

Thanks For The Info.its Appreciated.
Im A Fabricator But I Never Have Enough Time But
Ill Have To Make Time.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:38 PM   #4

Howie,
This is what I did to my 5er. Keep in mind I have a 8 ft bed.

I also use it to hold my flag pole
2002 F-250 Super-duty
Woody 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:43 PM   #5

I missed a pic. sorry
2002 F-250 Super-duty
Woody 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 12:00 PM   #6

Bike Rack

Thats A Good Idea,maybe Ill Do Something Similiar On The Back
Of The Tt.nice Job.
Old 11-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Wildcat View Post

If you mount a bike rack to your bumper, most often it will twist the bumper off at the welds.

A fabricating shop can custom make one, or you can get a motorhome receiver that is adjustable.
We had a welder put on a reciever hitch , and bought a cargo hauler fom ho** Dep**, we haul our Generator, on the 8317ss the back storage door, you can fold up the bed and haul your bikes in there, I think that is what they designed it for. Just a thought
Old 01-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #8

Here are two websites with two different designs and application. costs are also shown

==========================================

Mount slide over 2 inch tubular hitch

http://www.etrailer.com/tv_demo_draw...ier_40123.aspx

=============================================

Mount over a frame around propane tanks

http://www.toppoprails.com/

For the travel trailer we have two options.

Option 1:
The 7000 serie fit the front of your trailer. The upper part is foldable and removable to give access to your propane tanks (bikes have to be remove).
2 bikes rack + Travel trailer bracket: US$490 (We offer a special on this rack but you have to order before Feb 1st US$410)
3 bikes rack + Travel trailer bracket: US$570 (We offer a special on this rack but you have to order before Feb 1st US$480)

Option2:
The DFX serie is a multi-use bike rack design to be transferable from the front of your trailer to the back of your towing vehicle. It is removable in a few seconds and give you access to your propane tanks (bikes have to be remove).
2 bikes rack + Travel trailer bracket + Trailer hitch bracket: US$630
3 bikes rack + Travel trailer bracket + Trailer hitch bracket: US$710

Shipping is include for continental USA
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #9

Added this weld on receiver a few weeks ago.

welfarewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 10:31 PM   #10
Canadian member

Looks good I like the fact you have the two bolts to take out any play and bounce.
Is the rest of the hitch welded to the tt frame and if so would love to see pics
northernburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #11

I bought receiver hitch thing from Camping World that slips over the bumper and clamps with a couple of bolts. It is pretty stout, stronger than the bumper. I use it to tow my 2500lb boat, which is probably pushing the strength of the bumper. It would easily support one of those receiver hitch mounted bike racks. The only problem is the vibration causes the end plugs on the bumper to fall out, then your sewer hose ends up on the side of the road between somewhere and nowhere.
seanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 12:19 AM   #12
Computer Guy

i like the weld. although, will this be strong enough? people say the bumper isn't strong enough and i see it is also mounted to the trailer stabilizer bar which i don't think is very strong.

How is it holding up?

2019 Coachman Chaparral Lite 295BH

2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Laramie 5.9 Diesel
Jimmy-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 10:30 AM   #13

I used one of the bolt on hitches from curts's. The hitch with a bike rack and 4 bikes lasted from OKC to just west of Pagosa Srings before the bumper tore loose from the frame. In my opinion the bumper is not strong enough to support the weight and bouncing.

After I got back home welded a thicker bumper tube to the frame, reinstalled the curt's hitch and have traveled hundeds of miles now with the rack with no problem.

I would either go with a frame welded hitch or a bumber tube replacement.
rlt7272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #14
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
We've got three bikes and I want to mount them on the camper and get them out of the bed of the truck. I've got a bike rack that I want to use (since I have it), but I can't seem to find a receiver for it, it is only 1 1/4".

From reading this tread, it almost sounds like I should be looking for a completely new setup.

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:32 PM   #15

I installed a front mounted reciever on my truck. I carry two bikes on it without any problems. I used a 5" drop mount to bring the bikes down so the seats are level with the hood for better visibility.
8261ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:26 AM   #16
Site Team - Lou

Unhappy My Trials with Bumper Mounts

Well here goes nothing. I was using a "around the spare tire mount" u-bolted to bumper hitch to hold the bikes and a vertical u-bolted to bumper mount for the "Blue Boy".

I wanted to move the bikes to the front of the pickup so I could use the back of the camper for a cargo tray (rated at 500 pounds) using a RV bumper mount 2 inch reciever (rated at 500 pounds) and put a 200 pound generator in it. I bought the truck nose reciever mount and 2 bike carrier that goes in it; The cargo tray and bumper mount; and moved the camper tire to the truck bed.

After hooking it all up it seemed WAY too flimsey (the bounce made me VERY nervous even in the driveway). Loosing that generator on the highway would really tick me off; not counting the liability issue.

So I investigated a RV Class III FRAME mounted hitch (made by CURT) that bolts onto the camper frame. Doing the research I should have done at the start showed that FR will not recommend ANYTHING mounted to the RV bumper or Ultralight Frame not originally installed at the factory. (Read the spare tire mount on the bumper)

Others had said the the rear RV bumper is only rated for 150 pound load at 6 inches from the bumper.

So now, (shame faced ) I have the new 2-bike rack on the 2 inch bolt on the RV bumper mount reciever, the empty "Blue Boy" mounted directly over the bumper very close to the frame weld, and the original spare tire mount also mounted as close to the frame weld as I can without blocking the turn signal and the Generator is back in the truck bed. I did install the nose hitch mount on the front of the truck (hell its paid for), but the cargo tray sticks out too far IMO.

Drove up to the Pocono mountains like this with no issues so far.

I think that FR's stand is overly conservative (though understandable from their perspective), but maybe not. What do you think?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #17

I wouldn't mount anything to the bumper, rather I have built a custom receiver which is welded directly to the frame of the trailer, very sturdy, $50 for materials.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Unhappy FR says NO to frame mounted one too.

"So I investigated a RV Class III FRAME mounted hitch (made by CURT) that bolts onto the camper frame. Doing the research I should have done at the start showed that FR will not recommend ANYTHING mounted to the RV bumper or Ultralight Frame not originally installed at the factory. (Read the spare tire mount on the bumper)"

My camper has the Ultra Lite Frame and is "NO GO" for frame mods like the "Bolt On" or "welded on" frame hitch. They said the torque stress will flex and crack the frame over time. I saw the photo of the reciever end welded to the bumper.

That will definately help keep that twisting to a minimum, so good luck.

I will wait untill the warranty is up and re-attack this issue.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008Wildcat View Post

Do you mean that if I mount a bike rack to the 4" square 'bumper" at the back of my RV that the weight of the bike can twist the bumper off of the welds? That does not say much for how the bumper is attached to the RV. I seem to have seen lots of bikes stuck to the back end of trailers, never looked closely to see how it is done. I will need to sort this out before I leave on vacation mid August - my daughter wants us to bring a bike for her.
Fort Kent Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
"So I investigated a RV Class III FRAME mounted hitch (made by CURT) that bolts onto the camper frame. Doing the research I should have done at the start showed that FR will not recommend ANYTHING mounted to the RV bumper or Ultralight Frame not originally installed at the factory. (Read the spare tire mount on the bumper)"

I will wait untill the warranty is up and re-attack this issue.
I read all that when we got the trailer home two years ago - extended warranty is up end of next month. If I recall it even included weight distribution bars should not be attached to the frame. I would like to think that bumper and frame are there for more than their good looks.
Fort Kent Dad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack, rockwood