Old 09-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #1

Bikes on ladder

Has anyone used the ladder on a Rockwood 2604ws to carry bikes?

Old 09-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #2

I don't know that I would trust the ladder to not come loose, or break off from the road vibration with bike(s) attached.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I wouldn't
Old 09-08-2016, 09:52 AM   #4

Don't do it
Old 09-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #5

Ok Thanks
Old 09-09-2016, 07:36 PM   #6

We have a 2604WS and use a bolt on 2" receiver mounted in the middle of the 4" bumper. Works like a champ for our 2 mountain bikes.

John & Bev J
2016 Rockwood 2604WS Emerald package
Old 09-09-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidone View Post
We have a 2604WS and use a bolt on 2" receiver mounted in the middle of the 4" bumper. Works like a champ for our 2 mountain bikes.

A friend of mine proudly showed me his bolt on hitch and bikes there- literally the next trip out, he texted me that someone flagged him down on his way home and said that his bikes were dragging down the road because the bumper broke and twisted.

I'm not saying it'll happen to everyone- but I've heard of others experiencing the same.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:49 AM   #8

Thanks for all the info. This is our 6th travel trailer (2015 Rockwood 2604ws),I have always been concerned about rear bumper strength. As a daily truck driver I have seen some failed bumper mounts also. This one seems to be made well and I might give it a try.I carry ours inside and was looking for another option.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:39 AM   #9

I can see it failing if the hitch is overloaded. The bolt on I have is rated at 200 pound of load and is not rated to tow. Our bikes only weigh 25 and 30 pounds.

Working most of my life in steel construction it takes a lot of force to cause a 4 inch square tube to fail. Unless there is some internal defect there should have been indications of a pending failure. Bottom line is do a walk around your rig every stop. Mechanical stuff will fail and usually when you think all is well.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #10

If you ask FR they will tell you adding the hitch/bike rack to the bumper violates/voids your/the trailer's warranty. The recommend and sell the ladder mounted bike rack. I have not yet purchased a trailer, but the wife and I bike and it has been a matter of conversation on several occasions.

We think/believe we will be going with a Rockwood Mini Lite 1905, or it's Flagstaff twin.

There seems to be few good options. However if FR recommends the ladder rack for the bikes, I would think that buts the liability and warranty ball in their court.

as always - for what it is worth...

Tags
bike