Old 02-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Nice summary, 'Dad.

2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #12

I agree that the bumper mount option is hotly contested. Here is my solution- it may or may not satisfy everyone, however. With that being said- an option I find viable is to use the BAL undercarriage spare tire carrier to get that weight off of the bumper. Then use a solid mounted bike carrier like a Swagman that you can secure the bikes to rigidly. If you can get the load to NOT BOUNCE and jar the bumper is the key. Can't tell you what they'd say on warranty.

Bike Rack:
2 Bike Bumper Mount Carrier | 921351 | 80605 | SWAGMAN/DANIK :: United RV Parts Store
BAL spare carrier:
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

Old 02-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePM View Post
I always see RVs with a regular ladder strapped to the RV ladder, so am I to take it that you should not do that?
I'm one of those! My ladder it's aluminum and very light.
No bikes for us in the rv ladder.
Sometimes two chairs plus the extra ladder.
We do carry 2 bikes (kids, not adults) on the TT bumper with a bike rack, never a problem with it.
Check camping world, they have a new trailer a-frame cargo carrier to carry up to 300 lbs. And can be modified to carry bikes. ($225.99)
http://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I agree that the bumper mount option is hotly contested. Here is my solution- it may or may not satisfy everyone, however. With that being said- an option I find viable is to use the BAL undercarriage spare tire carrier to get that weight off of the bumper. Then use a solid mounted bike carrier like a Swagman that you can secure the bikes to rigidly. If you can get the load to NOT BOUNCE and jar the bumper is the key. Can't tell you what they'd say on warranty.

Bike Rack:
2 Bike Bumper Mount Carrier | 921351 | 80605 | SWAGMAN/DANIK :: United RV Parts Store
BAL spare carrier:
BAL - Innovative Products for the RV Industry

From the look of that bike carrier, it might be possible to have both the carrier and the spare tire mounted to the bumper. I don't have the TT nearby, but I believe my spare sits almost on my bumper.... If not, I assume it could be turned around or something to achieve that.

The BAL carrier is interesting. I might consider it for the ascetics. I'm curious what it was though. In their brochure, they claim bumper mounted spare tires add weight. By saying this they're implying that their mount weighs less.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
From the look of that bike carrier, it might be possible to have both the carrier and the spare tire mounted to the bumper. I don't have the TT nearby, but I believe my spare sits almost on my bumper.... If not, I assume it could be turned around or something to achieve that.

The BAL carrier is interesting. I might consider it for the ascetics. I'm curious what it was though. In their brochure, they claim bumper mounted spare tires add weight. By saying this they're implying that their mount weighs less.
I had the Swagman on my previous camper with a spare tire. I had to do some serious mods to the spare mount to get the tire to clear for a bike. I had the 2 bike model and was carrying 2 bikes. You could get the 4 bike model and not use the closest bike location and leave the spare tire in it's original but that places the bike load farther from the bumper resulting in a torqueing effect placing more stress on the bumper and welds. I think the BAL and Swagman is the way to go if you wanna carry bikes on your bumper. As far as weight- I don't think there will be much difference between carrier types.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
I had the Swagman on my previous camper with a spare tire. I had to do some serious mods to the spare mount to get the tire to clear for a bike. I had the 2 bike model and was carrying 2 bikes. You could get the 4 bike model and not use the closest bike location and leave the spare tire in it's original but that places the bike load farther from the bumper resulting in a torqueing effect placing more stress on the bumper and welds. I think the BAL and Swagman is the way to go if you wanna carry bikes on your bumper. As far as weight- I don't think there will be much difference between carrier types.

Ok, I stand corrected. Like I said, I don't have it nearby so I was just trying to work off memory.

I wouldn't be using a bike carrier to carry the bikes anyways. I've got the bike door in the QB for those. But I am thinking about that spare mount. I never did like the look of the spare on the back of my rig. It would seem a lot cleaner without it. Plus I could then use the bumper to sit more than one person when I've got those beachside sites.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #17
Moderators' Assistant

there's an option to a custom-fabbed 5th bike mount:

support-rack.com | Produits

also an A-frame mounted setup, similar to the Toppoprails systems, that have been around for quite awhile.

Travel-Trailers

both are very expensive and both companies are located in Quebec.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:20 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

also an A-frame mounted setup, similar to the Toppoprails systems, that have been around for quite awhile.

Travel-Trailers

A caution on the 5th wheel pin box mount. Does not work well on short bed trucks. Not enough room in front of the aero cap to cab. (At least in my shortbed GMC.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #19
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post

Travel-Trailers

That Support-Rack travel trailer/over-the-propane-bottles mount is pretty cool. As long as you have the tongue weight capacity, that looks like a great option.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #20
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That Support-Rack travel trailer/over-the-propane-bottles mount is pretty cool. As long as you have the tongue weight capacity, that looks like a great option.
Toppoprails came out with this design before Support-Rack did.
i find it interesting that for years, nobody else came out with a similar setup, not even Yakima or Thule.
then just a couple of years ago, Support-Rack shows up with virtually a clone of Toppoprails' system. but they are in Quebec also.
does Quebec have special laws protecting product designs developed in their province? that only another company in Quebec, can copy?

it's been a mystery to me, why the large rack companies, like Yakima and Thule haven't come up with similar systems to attach to TT's and 5th wheels.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike