Old 02-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #21

missing link, I was told at the factory from the head man of the Rockwood division, that if you remove the spare and your bikes are the same weight they will turn there heads on it. But if you take it in for service you would need to put the spear back on. They understand that people do it all the time. So all you need to do is modify your spare tire rack, but do not move it or remove it. He made that statement to the 40 or so people on the plant tour that I was on in August last year in Goshen. He was asked that question directly. I still do not know if I would do it because of the bounce, unless you can eliminate that. The bumper would hold them but spears do not bounce.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:39 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
missing link, I was told at the factory from the head man of the Rockwood division, that if you remove the spare and your bikes are the same weight they will turn there heads on it. But if you take it in for service you would need to put the spear back on. They understand that people do it all the time. So all you need to do is modify your spare tire rack, but do not move it or remove it. He made that statement to the 40 or so people on the plant tour that I was on in August last year in Goshen. He was asked that question directly. I still do not know if I would do it because of the bounce, unless you can eliminate that. The bumper would hold them but spears do not bounce.
I was thinking that would probably be the case, but didn't want to speak definitively. Thanks for the info. +1 on the bounce- that's the reason I didn't do the standard 2" receiver type. The Swagman can be secured to have NO bounce. Plus you have the weight spread across 4 points instead of on a 4" or so wide section of the bumper.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:08 PM   #23

I tried fitting a Swagman 2-bike rack on my truck bumper today. It was too close. If they would extend the rack up another foot, I think everything would clear. Perhaps some sort of support could be added inside the oval to compensate for the extra height?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0065.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	46921   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0066.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	46922  
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:12 PM   #24

I would be tempted to remove the rear spare and mount this style rack on the rear bumper. Certainly the spare tire would be easier to store in my pickup bed. Perhaps for safety reasons I could attach a couple of cables from the top of the camper in case something on the rack or bumper gave.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
I tried fitting a Swagman 2-bike rack on my truck bumper today. It was too close. If they would extend the rack up another foot, I think everything would clear. Perhaps some sort of support could be added inside the oval to compensate for the extra height?
I used the RV bumper mount Swagman rack like this:

RV Bumper 2 Bike Rack Swagman RV and Motorhome Bike Racks S80605
Old 02-27-2014, 04:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
I would be tempted to remove the rear spare and mount this style rack on the rear bumper. Certainly the spare tire would be easier to store in my pickup bed. Perhaps for safety reasons I could attach a couple of cables from the top of the camper in case something on the rack or bumper gave.
If your Micro Lite doesn't have the enclosed underbelly, you can likely use the BAL undercarriage mount and it will tuck up between the frame rails. Would likely not hang down much at all and be out of the way. If it is enclosed, you probably won't have the clearance to mount the spare under since the Micro Lite is pretty low to the ground.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #27

We just use 2 folding bikes we bought at Camping World on sale. They fold up into their own bag and will go almost anywhere in the camper. We put the 2 on the back seat of our quad cab dodge. It solves the problem for us.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #28

The swagman rack should work for our 3 bikes. I could probably run a ratchet strap from the rack to the top of the ladder to help with any bouncing. The spare can go in the truck bed. We have 2 mountain bikes that I think are less than 25 pounds each and my sons BMX bike that might be a little heavier.

Anybody know what a spare tire weighs?

Linc
Old 02-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #29

The problem I see with the front of TV mount (and front portion of a 5th, you will lose all aerodynamics you may have had with either method (fuel mileage will suffer)) is this:
1. The bikes get hit with everything thrown up from the vehicle in front
2. The bikes get hit by or wheels scrapped by the curbing or fence or whatever the TV parks against or very near
3. The bikes (if multi speed) will quickly come out of adjustment and cables will rust more quickly as the speed through rain storms will push water to places it should not be (e.g. bearings (bottom bracket, wheel, pedal, steering) quickly shortening their life).
4. Thieves will attempt to get the bikes off then seeing a cable or lock may just let the bikes sort of hang and if get underway and do not check the security of the bikes, more damage to the TV and destroying the bikes is the result.
If you have $100 throw away bikes, then not much of a problem as they won't last past a couple years anyway.

On a ladder is not good for lots of reasons, many already given, road hazard to those behind you is primary - this also goes for chairs, etc. people hang from the ladders. Just not a good idea.

There are racks made (Thule/Yakima plus others) for mounting on spare tires like a Jeep or other type of spare (TTs have this type spare mount) so it should work for lighter bikes - 50 lb Wally World or other bikes of that weight should not apply. A rack mounted by the mfg on the frame of the trailer, not the bumper is the best way to go unless mounting the bikes inside the trailer where they are out of harms way and thieves less likely to get them.
So I guess I am saying - Mount them on a frame rack of some sort or stow them inside. Best for everyone concerned. I am sure there are those that will wholeheartedly disagree but that is the way of life.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #30
Fulltime family RVer

John, if I hung my bikes on a pin box mount, I'd definitely bag them somehow. Like this (random Google image):

I'm curious about the MPG difference- I already take a beating when I hookup to the camper; I wonder how much the bagged bikes would cost me.

Tags
bike