Old 02-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #31
Moderators' Assistant
Originally Posted by jwedell View Post
We just use 2 folding bikes we bought at Camping World on sale. They fold up into their own bag and will go almost anywhere in the camper.
just realize that people may use a bike differently than others.

folding bikes are fine if you use it for cruising around the campground or riding on a paved bike path.
but for someone like me, i'd have a folding bike destroyed in a few minutes, using it for what i ride bike for.
a folding bike is not appropriate for off-road riding or even distance road bike riding.
i do both so i have to haul my mtn. bike and my road bike and neither will fold unless i crash real hard.

bicycles now have become very specialized. many are designed for a specific or limited purpose.
cross country bikes, road bikes, triathalon bikes, cyclecross bikes, tandem road bikes, beach cruisers, tandem beach cruisers, folding bikes, recumbent bikes, bmx bikes, downhill bikes, all-mountain bikes, single speed bikes, just to name some.

Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:15 PM   #32
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Seen it done on some campers going down the road. Flopping and swinging around. Always thought it was a little foolish. I will never 'hang' something from my latter while traveling.
That's a good reason to keep the washer fluid reservoir topped off!

Fivealive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:56 PM   #33
I have a 2013 Rockwood 2905 SS and I have hung 2 pikes from my ladder all last season. I have had no issues with hanging them from my ladder and will continue to do so.
If you do go with hanging them from the ladder, make sure they are strapped in real good. Besides the straps that come with the ladder rack, I use several bungies and my bikes do not move.
utah_utrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 01:21 PM   #34
For those looking for different options or ideas in carrying your bikes, I found a web site from Canada

I put the bike rack on the front of my truck.

The items I used were:
• Reese/Draw Tite hitch
• Swagman 64663 bike rack (The tires are secured and not hanging free, stability)
• Custom made "bug & rock" guard made at a local welding shop. The receiver has a 6" lift; not a bend in the tubing.

When we go out, we stay for a week at a time, so we pack as much stuff as possible. I learned that weight distribution is very important on the RV and TV. Improper tongue weight can cause sway and instability; placing items on the rear of the RV affects this. There are always pros and cons to everything; it just depends on each person’s needs, wants and what they have to work with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack Front.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	47330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack 6 in lift.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	47331   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike Rack Driver Side.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	47332   Click image for larger version

Name:	Swageman 64663.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	47333  

2014 Rockwood 8289WS
2013 F150 crew 4x4 5.0L 3.73 6 1/2 bed
supersprings & timbren & B &W turnoverball
Anderson Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection hitch
Jerry & Lisa
sonic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:03 AM   #35
I saw one solution where the bikes (2) had the front wheels removed and then the bike was mounted cross wise in the bed of the standard bed TV against the back of the cab. With the handle bars turned sideways, the two bikes only extended back about a foot, and fit well within the profile of the cab. I don't know whether this presents any clearance problem when turning, but the owners said not. I'm going to try it next time I need to carry bikes. If they don't hit coming out of my driveway, they should clear anywhere.

MikeInRaleigh is offline   Reply With Quote