Old 07-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #11

Black Tank Cleaning

I think in response to why clean the black tank so thoroughly is so you minimize odors coming from the tank, keep the flow going well when dumping, and also you can usually keep your sensors clean and operational if you keep your tank the cleanest you can.

2005 Chevy Tahoe
2014 Surveyor Select SV 264

2017 - 45 Nights Camping
Beluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 01:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChateauV10 View Post
All the evidence points to the use of a clear elbow and anything the shoots a jet of water up into the tank from the valve end does and proves nothing. The blank tank flush devices set into the tank itself do some good, but why do we care so much? I agree some water left in the tank, making sure the "black pyramid" does not form are reasonable things, but cleaning the black tank so methodically? I really don't get it. To each their own and since it causes no harm to anyone else, more power to you!
I've watched the simulation videos - excellent references - and I agree with the bolded statement - for the black tank. In our last TT (no tank rinser) I wanded the black tank periodically. That and frequent use of the Geo Method are the reasons all of the tank sensors were still working when we sold it this spring after eight years of use. I'm very glad to have the rinser on our new-to-use Rockwood 2701SS and it appears to be working well.

As for the grey tanks, I'm well aware that the flush port on the Flojet, provides no rinsing or spraying action. However, it does backfill the tanks which helps to flush out the residue. I saw that for myself yesterday when I emptied the tanks.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #13
2016 Rockwood 8325SS

Nothing is 100% when cleaning out any tank. Every piece (if you know what I mean) will not be removed from the black tank. If left sitting for a period of time in hot weather and no water in the tank, objects could and will become very hard and the ease of removing from the tank could prove difficult. The flush system in the tank helps prevent build up on the tank sensors.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstorm View Post
Nothing is 100% when cleaning out any tank. Every piece (if you know what I mean) will not be removed from the black tank. If left sitting for a period of time in hot weather and no water in the tank, objects could and will become very hard and the ease of removing from the tank could prove difficult. The flush system in the tank helps prevent build up on the tank sensors.
This is colloquially known as poopcrete and should be avoided if at all possible.

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD and Beastlet View Post
This is colloquially known as poopcrete and should be avoided if at all possible.
X's 2 I know first hand, never had any sewer hook-ups when I was a new-be. I told my DW great and just left it open 24/7 after 2 weeks in Florida my toilet started to get full, Found out that the tank bottom was plugged. Called a mobile repair company. He told me what I did wrong, forgot the product he told me to buy but added it and had to let it set for 48 hrs. It did break it loose, or he would have had to replace the tank. Now I rinse it out real good and leave it closed till it's almost full when hook-ed up for over 4 days at one park...
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barstorm View Post
Open the valve while using the tank flushing system. After the water becomes clear, close the valve let and let the tank fill for about a minute, then open the valve again. After you do this make sure that you leave a small amount water in the black tank so that the bottom of the tank does not dry out.

I pretty much do the same here. At the end of my routine I will leave water in the bottom of the tank and add the deodorant treatment to the tank.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:40 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChateauV10 View Post
All the evidence points to the use of a clear elbow and anything the shoots a jet of water up into the tank from the valve end does and proves nothing. The blank tank flush devices set into the tank itself do some good, but why do we care so much? I agree some water left in the tank, making sure the "black pyramid" does not form are reasonable things, but cleaning the black tank so methodically? I really don't get it. To each their own and since it causes no harm to anyone else, more power to you!
Jeez. Really? You don't get it?!? I'll explain. No poop in tank, no smell in trailer.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdst51 View Post
Jeez. Really? You don't get it?!? I'll explain. No poop in tank, no smell in trailer.
Obviously he has been fortunate and not had the lovely aroma greet after returning a week or so later when the tank wasn't thoroughly cleaned.
Old 07-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #19

I agree with BamaBob. Do NOT close your valve while you are flushing your tanks with the sprayer. There is a "pop-off" valve on the water line going to the sprayer. If the valve is closed, the pressure will build up and will sometimes cause the pop-off valve to release the pressure by opening; thereby leaking water. My pop-off valve is under the bathroom sink which is great because the water will leak directly through the dirty clothes chute. I think there is a warning label saying leave valve open. It won't happen every time, but will some times. A clear plastic elbow is a must to see the clarity of the water as it leaves. I have traveled in my RV for 2 1/2 years and use the spray function every time I empty my tanks. I also use a Flush King about once a month or so when I have full hook-ups. It will always rinse something out after the sprayer is turned off. The Flush King works great on the Grey and Galley tanks as well. It will remove the soap grime and junk that won't leave the tank simply by gravity. The Geo method works great too, but I can rarely find the Calgon liquid. If I had a reliable source, I would do the Geo on a regular basis. I've used the Calgon beads but they don't dissolve all the way and will interfere with the rubber seal in the bottom of the toilet. Just my opinion, to each their own. By the way, if you don't have the 12 inch solid plastic extension for your sewer hose where it connects to the RV, it is well worth the price which is cheap, cheap.

blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
black