Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2013, 03:44 PM   #1

Black Water Flush

The black water flushing system works great, yet when we disconnect the hose from the side of the 5'er water comes back out of the inlet. Looking for a solution as to why this is happening.

Thanks.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:25 PM   #2

There's a backflow prevention device a couple of feet in. The water that comes out is water in the hose prior to this device. Mine does the same thing. If you're ever not sure, capture it and look at it in a glass -- it's pure water.
danno2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieadie View Post
The black water flushing system works great, yet when we disconnect the hose from the side of the 5'er water comes back out of the inlet. Looking for a solution as to why this is happening.

Thanks.
They all do it, the reason is the supply pipping heads up to about 3-4 feet above inlet level. Thats where the vac break is installed with non return. When you add water most climbs over the rise but the inlet side from the valve down has only one place to go-towards the operator. I learned to stay clear when I break the hose.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Here is what it looks like. (No worries the water flowing back out is as clean as the water you put in.)

that valve is located at the very top of the vanity cabinet in my camper. There is about 4 feet of PEX tubing from the Turboflush inlet to the check valve.

That check valve keeps black water from siphoning out the flush connection.
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
Owner/Operator

I normally shut off the supply, and then disconnect the hose at the hose bib. That drains the water out the hose, and I do not get a bath when I disconnect the hose from the RV.

And if there's grass in the vicinity of the hose bib, it gets a drink.

RodeoGeorge
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

I have to tell you, I still use my 12 foot "Black" hose for the turb-flushers even though I have double redundant brass check valves on the shut off.

The white hose is only used for drinking.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #7

This is the backflow set up in my V ,notice how much insulation is on the O/S shower enclosuer-0%. The one in the Pic was the O/E plastic leaker that flooded the Bathroom first time using it,what a mess! Had to cut a access opening to gain way to repair the problem,major deal really. Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2200.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	24061   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2201.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	24062  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

I put another check valve on the inside right at the hose connection and get no back flow whatsoever. I use a 50' "Pocket hose" with a shut off on the end and shut the water off at the campground faucet and the let the hose collapse to a "just barely charged" condition and then shut it off. This leaves a little water in the black tank to which I add about a cup of Super Clean. Leaves the tank clean and keeps stuff from solidifying in the tank.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Not-so-Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
...I use a 50' "Pocket hose" with a shut off on the end and shut the water off at the campground faucet and the let the hose collapse to a "just barely charged" condition and then shut it off.
Is that the same "pocket hose" seen on TV for $9.95? If so, do you like it?
• 1952 Blonde Nurse
VenturaBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturaBill View Post
Is that the same "pocket hose" seen on TV for $9.95? If so, do you like it?
I like it a lot, according to the instructions it should not be left with pressure on it for long periods of time, so I just deflate it about half between flushes. Like the idea of being able to store the 50' hose in a "3#" coffee can and put a lid on it.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
I put another check valve on the inside right at the hose connection and get no back flow whatsoever. I use a 50' "Pocket hose" with a shut off on the end and shut the water off at the campground faucet and the let the hose collapse to a "just barely charged" condition and then shut it off. This leaves a little water in the black tank to which I add about a cup of Super Clean. Leaves the tank clean and keeps stuff from solidifying in the tank.
Neil, does this leave fresh water trapped in the lines between the two check valves?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Neil, does this leave fresh water trapped in the lines between the two check valves?
Have no idea Herk, I didn't think it had a factory check valve with the amount of water that back flowed which is why I added the one just inside. Don't really see any harm if water is trapped, do you?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #13
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Have no idea Herk, I didn't think it had a factory check valve with the amount of water that back flowed which is why I added the one just inside. Don't really see any harm if water is trapped, do you?
Don't know. They all have a factory check valve (needed to keep holding tank liquids from siphoning overboard when you drive) so there would be water trapped between the two I am thinking.

Do you push antifreeze through the turboflush? If so not to worry. If you don't the water can freeze and crack one or the other valves and make a mess.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:55 PM   #14

I place a screw on flow preventer on the outside and then hook the Black hose to that. Turn off water supply and it spit drains just like any out side hose connection like on a New Coded house bib. Then I unscrew the out side valve and it drains the hose between the 2 valves,low to no pressure. Youroo!!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #15
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
I place a screw on flow preventer on the outside and then hook the Black hose to that. Turn off water supply and it spit drains just like any out side hose connection like on a New Coded house bib. Then I unscrew the out side valve and it drains the hose between the 2 valves,low to no pressure. Youroo!!
I need to take a photo of the shutoff valve dohickey I made that goes on the end of my black hose.

Water Bib -> Brass check valve -> 12 foot black hose -> on/off lever valve -> Brass check valve -> Camper flush connection.

The on/off valve allows me to pulse the water into the tank when I flush it out without a trip to the bib.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

I have never added antifreeze to any of our campers since the first one in 1975 even tho' we lived in areas where we had sub zero temps. Just blew out all the lines, water heater and sink traps. Now, rather than winterize, we just go to Florida when the temps in Concord, NC get down to 40 and don't return until they are above freezing. Love being retired!!!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #17

Thanks for all of the information. It does make sense and won't be concerned about this any more.

2016 Flagstaff 8528CKWSA
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L

RalphieAdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
I need to take a photo of the shutoff valve dohickey I made that goes on the end of my black hose.

Water Bib -> Brass check valve -> 12 foot black hose -> on/off lever valve -> Brass check valve -> Camper flush connection.

The on/off valve allows me to pulse the water into the tank when I flush it out without a trip to the bib.
Instead of a on/off lever valve,I might pick up a full flow rotory valve for us to use. Youroo!! You and Turbs could make it remote control
Old 02-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Instead of a on/off lever valve,I might pick up a full flow rotory valve for us to use. Youroo!! You and Turbs could make it remote control
ASK and ye shall receive !
Nelson ® Remote Faucet Control - GEMPLER'S

Sometimes I even amaze myself !

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #20

I installed a shut-off valve on the black water connection and another on the end of the hose. After flushing the tank shutoff both valves, disconnect with no water loss, shut off at bib, open valve on hose end to release pressure and then disconnect hose from bib. Works well, but I like the idea of storing the hose in a 3" can, gotta check that out. Thanks for the idea!
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black water