Old 09-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #21

How much weight are you carrying? Without knowing that you can't know if you are over or under rated load.

2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern View Post
After about 8200 miles, we had our first blowout on our Windjammer's OEM Trail Express Load range C tires this summer and promptly replaced them with Load Range D Goodyear Marathons. Agree with Old Car's statement...brace yourself for lots of opinions on this one. Happy camping!
Any chance you have some pictures of the failed tires?
"Blowout" is a catch all term that doesn't help tire engineers learn about what might have caused the failure.
I have seen tires that were run with 4 psi called defective because they "blewout". See tires with bent rim called defective because the tire had broken body cords. Seen tires still fully inflated called Blowout failure.

Also did you file a complaint with NHTSA on the suspect defective tire? No complaint => No investigation => No recall => No incentive to tire companies to make better quality tires.

I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:56 PM   #23
Alleged curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Any chance you have some pictures of the failed tires?
"Blowout" is a catch all term that doesn't help tire engineers learn about what might have caused the failure.
I have seen tires that were run with 4 psi called defective because they "blewout". See tires with bent rim called defective because the tire had broken body cords. Seen tires still fully inflated called Blowout failure.

Also did you file a complaint with NHTSA on the suspect defective tire? No complaint => No investigation => No recall => No incentive to tire companies to make better quality tires.
You are right, Tireman9. I should not have called it a "blowout", as I have no technical background or understanding to say that was what occurred. I should point out that I did not use the term to critique the tire or to glamorize what occurred, though. As I've posted on here about this event before, it was my "first flat tire on the TT". I do have this photo, which I took alongside the road:
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	518.6 KB
ID:	88988

I did not know it was flat. My TPMS did not alert. Instead, I was waived over by a fellow traveler, and I stopped to find the tire in the condition pictured above. I checked my TPMS to see if the pressure loss registered and saw this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	88989
I don't know if the sensor was working prior to the flat, or if the incident somehow destroyed the sensor.

In answer to your question, no complaint was filed, since I don't (as you suggest) really have a basis for blaming the manufacturer. Tires were all inflated when we left home, then one wasn't. I treated it like a flat, just like an flat on a car. I suspect the damage illustrated in the photo is from driving on it unaware of the air loss.
Nights camped: 2012 (29); 2013 (26); 2014 (40); 2015 (43); 2016 (35); 2017 (34)
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:01 AM   #24
Site Team

Ouch. You may want to check your TPMS's paperwork to see if there may be some warranty claim or at least report the failure of its performance.
Air Lift 5000 w/Wireless Air

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:40 AM   #25
Alleged curmudgeon

Called them and spoke about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
Ouch. You may want to check your TPMS's paperwork to see if there may be some warranty claim or at least report the failure of its performance.
I did call TireTraker and described this to them. They said while this was not common, it was also not unheard of...apparently sometimes when a tire blows (not trying to use a technical term there...just denoting a little pop and violence), debris or other impacts can damage a sensor. This explanation made sense to me, since it had appeared to me that the sensor was working properly (i.e., modest/normal changes in both temp and pressure were being registered) within the previous hour. Something obviously appeared to have happened to the sensor.

I had only purchased my TPMS this spring, so TireTraker immediately sent me a replacement sensor and the system has continued to work well since then. Just experienced this one glitch. I did have a flat on my new Marathons on the very first trip (picked up a nail driving through a construction zone) and the system alerted perfectly, allowing me to quickly pull over and change the tire, which was reparable.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:41 AM   #26

Lee, that just is not right. Looks like the trailer did not have massive amounts of damage thankfully. dcheatwood is correct I would look to the TPMS for a answer, trust of this device is compromised now.
I have never bought TPMS but rely on temp gun and visual checks, in fact I have never checked the pressure on my tires since March of this year. Nitrogen is a constant and never changes in my experience.
Old 09-18-2015, 07:53 AM   #27

A proper working TPMS is FAR better than a Heat Gun! You would have a hard time running down the road at 55 MPH to check PSI or Heat buildup in any Tire! Youroo!!
Old 09-18-2015, 07:53 AM   #28
Alleged curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Lee, that just is not right. Looks like the trailer did not have massive amounts of damage thankfully. dcheatwood is correct I would look to the TPMS for a answer, trust of this device is compromised now.
I have never bought TPMS but rely on temp gun and visual checks, in fact I have never checked the pressure on my tires since March of this year. Nitrogen is a constant and never changes in my experience.
You can only do what you can. For me, I check the pressure regularly, adjust when indicated, and visually inspect at all stops. Added the TPMS this year, knowing I was in the final year for my OEM tires.

In this case, there was absolutely no damage to the TT, thanks to none of the above, but rather because a Good Samaritan approaching behind me observed the tire issue and pulled alongside to waive me over. That day, I guess TPMS stood for Tire Pressure Monitoring Samaritan. If he had not warned me, the tire would have come apart and the photo become very ugly, like we've seen on here many times before.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:19 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Vern
If I had the tire in front of me I would first look at and feel the edges of the failure at the locations indicated

If I found hard cord ends that would be sufficient proof of Run Low Flex. Can't really tell without either feeling or a lot closer & sharper pictures.

I have done and posted a number of tire autopsies on my blog that show what melted body cord can look like if you want to learn more.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
A proper working TPMS is FAR better than a Heat Gun! You would have a hard time running down the road at 55 MPH to check PSI or Heat buildup in any Tire! Youroo!!
You have a hard time walking around it Youroo. But to the OP I had Trail express went across the USA and back and took many trips to Florida and back. Had a blow out at about 6000 miles on mine and changed them to GY "D" rated now have had them for 2 years atleast that many miles on them and no Problems, still look like new. Just about any tire that is an ST is made overseas now. They are not all bad because they are made over seas. Get a brand that is carried by local dealers all over.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, tire