Old 10-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
The fact is that there may still be water in the lines... The AF will not just push out all the water. It will most likely just blend with it. Could be 55% AF and be fine or 55% water and freeze.. Or it may be 90% AF and no worries... I have no idea HOW pure it NEEDS to be to work... I just know they say no diluting. It is your gamble. I would take the ten extra minutes and just blow it all out.
I blew it out but I haven't put any antifreeze in. If the lines aren't full of water then I don't thnk the droplets of water in the lines or even low points that have water in them freezing are going to rupture any lines. I've talked to several of my friends and all they do is blow out the lines and put AF in the traps and drains.

I was just trying to understand if there wa something I hadn't considered. Thanks for being patient with me and explaining it.

strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:51 PM   #22
Who Dares, Wins

I usually only just blow them out as well. Always worked for me and it has been COLD the last few winters with no issues.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:47 AM   #23

Blowing out the water line worked for several years until I didn't get all the water out of the toilet. While the valve replacement part was low cost, it was a real pain to put in reaching around behind the toilet. I don't think I have hugged a toilet like that since my post party college days.

I just get 2 gallons of RV anti freeze, pump it in, drain it out & use that to fill the sink & shower drains. Haven't had a problem since & haven't hugged another toilet ever.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:52 AM   #24
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post
Blowing out the water line worked for several years until I didn't get all the water out of the toilet. While the valve replacement part was low cost, it was a real pain to put in reaching around behind the toilet. I don't think I have hugged a toilet like that since my post party college days.

I just get 2 gallons of RV anti freeze, pump it in, drain it out & use that to fill the sink & shower drains. Haven't had a problem since & haven't hugged another toilet ever.
Not funny at the time I am sure.. But sure seems funny now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:43 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
For the first time, I'm going to try the blow-out method of winterizing this year. I bought a 3-gallon oilless compressor at Harbor Freight and a female input air adoptor that I'll use both on the water heater and city water inlet valves. (I do, still, have to pick up a ball tire inflator with a clip so it's not a 2-man job.)

Does anyone have a picture/link/name of the part that will screw into the city water inlet and allow me to attach the air hose?

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax
Old 10-28-2015, 08:12 AM   #26
Pickin' & Campin'

TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #27
Pickin' & Campin'

Forgot to add... there are basically two types... one (first photo) that is 'quick-connect' and your air hose must have a matching coupler on the end to mate with the blow out plug. The other (2nd photo) has a stem just like a valve stem on a tire and any air hose that will fill tires will work with that type. Some are brass some are plastic... your choice.

Google "RV Blow Out Plug" and you'll get millions of hits.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Someone asked what size air compressor and my 3-pound, hot-dog, el-cheapo from Harbor Freight worked just fine. (I think I paid around $60 for the thing.)

I, probably, should return it as it only gets up to around 60 psi EVER but since it's only used for tires and blowing out the camper I can live with it.

My main concern with water is inside of the water pump...even a little in there will crack it and nobody wants to replace that thing!!
6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Forgot to add... there are basically two types... one (first photo) that is 'quick-connect' and your air hose must have a matching coupler on the end to mate with the blow out plug. The other (2nd photo) has a stem just like a valve stem on a tire and any air hose that will fill tires will work with that type. Some are brass some are plastic... your choice.

Google "RV Blow Out Plug" and you'll get millions of hits.

Thanks so much Picker.

2015 Rockwood 2306
2015 Tundra CrewMax

Tags
winter, winterize