Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2017, 06:43 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Got my 30 amp surge suppressor today!Attachment 144432
The SSP-30X is better than nothing but if you can, send it back and purchase the EMS-PT30X. Much better protection for a minimal amount of additional $.
Big difference in performance.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
The SSP-30X is better than nothing but if you can, send it back and purchase the EMS-PT30X. Much better protection for a minimal amount of additional $.
Big difference in performance.
Yikes last time I checked I didn't see I was made of money! But we don't plug in unknown, independent campsites (mainly State Parks) so I think we're good! (It's a camper not a mission-essential computer server!)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Yikes last time I checked I didn't see I was made of money! But we don't plug in unknown, independent campsites (mainly State Parks) so I think we're good! (It's a camper not a mission-essential computer server!)
I am sorry, did not mean to offend.
The EMS-PT30X is $230.00, did not think that would break the bank. ($130 more, for real protection.)
As far as independent parks, state parks or fancy resorts, doesn't matter when everyone is blasting their AC's on a hot summer day. The SSP-30X does nothing for low voltage or high voltage which is the most common issue.
As far as a "camper" verses "mission- essential computer server", save the $130 now in case you need to replace ALL the electronics in your camper during a low / high voltage situation that fries everything.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #44

Blue Power Indicator Light Out

I came in late to this discussion, but there are several things that can confuse:

The NEMA TT30 plug and receptacle. This is the "30 amp camper" plug and receptacle. It is 120 volt (ONLY 120 volt) and 30 amps, consisting of one hot, a neutral and ground. It is an odd duck and is specifically for campers/RVs.

The NEMA 14-50 plug and receptacle. This is the "50 amp camper" plug and receptacle. It is 240/120 volt (BOTH 240 and 120 volt) and is 50 amps @ 240 volts or 100 amps @ 120 volts (12,000 watts) depending on which conductors you use. This plug and receptacle is not unique for the 50 amp campers; it is used in many applications. A kitchen electric stove/oven is an example. The wiring is the same in all applications. It consists of two hots, a neutral and ground.

Although the TT30 is 120 volt only and the 14-50 is both 240 and 120 volt, both campers are 120 volts only.
In 30 amp campers, there is only one bus and it is connected to the single hot provided by the TT30.
In 50 amp campers, there are two busses with each bus connecting to a hot from the 14-50. The busses in the 50 amp campers are configured so that 240 volts can't be used using proper wiring techniques. (You can purposefully get 240 volts but you would have to intentionally do it and would be questioned why.) EACH buss in the 50 amp camper has 50 amps (for a total of 100 amps) at its disposal. Although 100 amps is available, if either buss exceeds 50 amps the main breaker trips open. The neutral never sees more than 50 amps because the neutral only sees the unbalanced current. Although there are no 240 volt devices, the voltage across the two busses is 240 volt (however it isn't used this way).

It is because both campers are 120 volt only that makes dogbones an acceptable device. You would not want to use a dogbone in a system that required 240 volts. (Although it wouldn't hurt anything, it just wouldn't work.)

A 50 amp to 30 amp dogbone works by using just one hot from the 50 amp service. The pedestal will provide 50 amps on that hot, however the camper's 30 amp breaker protects the camper.

A 30 amp to 50 amp dogbone works by tying the one-and-only hot from the 30 amp service to both hots in the 50 amp camper. The pedestal's 30 amp breaker limits the current to 30 amps to the camper. Both busses in the 50 amp camper are energized, however total combined usage is limited to 30 amps. Like the hot, the neutral will only see a maximum of 30 amps. Since the 50 amp camper is the same as the 30 amp camper with respect to having ONLY 120 volt devices, it is OK that both busses are connected to the same hot from the pedestal. In this configuration, there are 0 volts across the two busses. It is because of this, no damage would be done to a 240 volt device if there was one (which there isn't).
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:46 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbleweed gypsy View Post
Just did a little research, and I must apologize, to 5picker and everyone else. Apparently the outlets on the posts are all wired 120V, regardless of amperage. Again, sorry guys, shouldn't have let the tequila do the talking.
Things can never be too bad, including wiring problems, as long as you still have tequila. It's the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems.
captaindomon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, light, power