Old 03-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #1

Bought another Forest River

Good morning my fellow adventurers,

I am sorry to hear when someone buys a new travelling home and has a bad experience.

This post is for those considering a purchase and are browsing the boards looking for owner sentiment and satisfaction....

Every manufactured product in the world has a failure rate. Flaws, defects, built after lunch on Friday or poor employee adherence to proper building/ finishing procedure. Our hope as consumers is that the manufacturers QC or final inspection team will catch these errors/ flaws. Again... Humans.

I am on my second Forest River product. My first was a Salem 26TBUD... 26', 3 bunk beds and 1 slide out. My new (kids are gone... YAY!) trailer is a Rockwood 8328BS. BS stands for Big shot! One month in.. 6 nights in the bunk.. 0 problems.

Point 1 to the prospective buyer... On some level you get what you pay for.

I had no real complaints with my Salem. It was less expensive. Built with less expensive materials, less flash and less accoutrements... BUT, fit and finish were great. It traveled/camped like a boss! Nothing says a less expensive anything should be acceptable with less than perfect fit and finish. Check this out BEFORE you write a check.

Point 2. Less expensive materials are less expensive for a reason.

You will not get the wear, shine or usage life out of materials that were cheaper to produce than you will out of more expensive materials. This has been known since 389 BC... but I digress.. So if you are buying for extra long term, long haul and/or extra heavy use, consider an upgrade.

Point 3. Research your Dealer!

PDI and initial walk through are very important. Bad taste from a bad first voyage tends to linger. Beyond that... a dealer that can be trusted to hold up a manufacturers warranty and is interested in your personal satisfaction is worth his weight in gold. A fly by night or we forgot your name the minute we cashed your check or "we're to busy to get to warranty work this month" dealer will make camping with the family a practice in worry that something might break. And things do break. It's not a cinder block 4 wall with cement roof. Ask around about your dealer... know your warranty, consider extended warranty.

Last... Research, research, research. We (class A, 5th wheel, TT) are a friendly bunch. We hope to see you out and about. We will walk over from our campfire with a flashlight and help you back in. You can absolutely ask how or why and we will explain in detail what we think. These boards are a good example of that. They are also a place where people can air their complaints and disappointments. These are very much worth reading... just don't take one persons misfortune or one bad dealer or one loose plumbing connection to indicate bad manufacturing or warranty practices. There's a reason so many of us are happy living on the road...

Old 03-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #2

I appreciate the review! I was in the same boat and did the same thing! I had an older trailer (like 1970s) that I camped in for a few years while I found out what I liked and didn't like. This led me to purchasing an EVO and I have camped in it and owned it for a year, close to 20 nights camped total and I am extremely satisfied.

I especially liked how you articulated "you get what you pay for" and "less expensive is for a reason". I tried to tell some people that and they were like entry level campers aren't "inexpensive" to which I replied compared to the high end model yes they are!

I paid close to 20K by the time I left the dealer and I understand that is an entry level unit, I think a lot of people just assume that an entry level unit will perform like a 60k unit and then they are disappointed because of an unrealistic initial expectation and then couple that with no thorough research into the dealer and the customer ends up really upset.

I think you explained it perfectly and I wish people would read things like this and research before taking the plunge. PDI IS KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nights Camped (2017- 16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:11 PM   #3

My opinion? The 2% (+/-) that have had a bad experience, make 99% of the negative noise. Don't get me wrong. I am sorry for their negative experience, but the 98% of us happy folks don't tend to make much noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #4

Excellent.

Thank you.
Old 03-02-2016, 01:02 PM   #5

X2

These are light weight camp trailers not 750k Prevosts. I can deal with minor issues... I have my fingers crossed that nothing serious breaks.
Old 03-02-2016, 03:28 PM   #6

Our Wildcat is a 2015, and we have had it for a year now. We used it a lot last year, perhaps 9,000 miles. I had a 20+ item punch list for the dealer upon our return. None of the items kept us off the road. I would not consider any of the items a major issue. Our dealer is working through the list and the FR warranty is covering everything.
I would definitely purchase another FR product.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:50 PM   #7

Our dealer is working through the list... + ..... the FR warranty is covering everything.... = ....I would definitely purchase another FR product.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:31 PM   #8

Bought another FR

We have been camping for over 40 years. Tent and backpacks, to truck camper to TT's (3)
We are currently in our second FR product. Had a Flagstaff 22' for three years and decided it was too small for our expanding travels. Now have a 2011 TK28RKS Wildcat. While we have had almost NO problems with either of the FR products there is a HUGE difference in quality in the two units. One of the reasons we bought our Wildcat was that we like to camp off the beaten path . Did most of 14000 (8700 miles for you folks south of the border) last summer, taking us 250 miles north of the Arctic Circle and included 1000+ miles of gravel road. We had virtually zero problems with our Wildcat that are worth talking about. ( small mouldings that came loose etc). On the other hand I wouldn't even consider taking the Flagstaff into that kind of territory. Wheels smaller, torsion suspension, too low to the ground, general cabinet work not designed for bush travel etc. For the quality, we sacrificed a lot of extra weigh....100% in fact. Our Flagstaff dry weight 4000lbs, our W/Cat 8000 lbs. I will most likely buy another FR product because these 2 have been good to us. The other point is, anything you use a lot needs maintenance. Because we go for extended periods and long ways from home, often in remote areas, I do a major " look" in the spring before we hit the road. Pull wheels, check bearings and brakes , roll under and have a look at all visible wiring etc. I'm all about doing my maintenance in a controlled atmosphere rather than on the side of the road 😊 Just sayin!
2013 22 nights.2014 57 nights.2015 116 nights
2016. 96 nights 2017 72 nights
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:35 PM   #9

Awesome, I wanna go... got an extra bunk for me in that Wildcat?
Old 03-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #10

Lol......lotsa space but other than our grandchildren, we like our own company best��. Very rare we even travel with someone else in another unit. Just how we roll. But we do love the less travelled country.

2013 22 nights.2014 57 nights.2015 116 nights
2016. 96 nights 2017 72 nights
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forest river