Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
Thanks for the additional info and pics dunnnc; I greatly appreciate the time you took to help me (a perpetual newbie) understand!

I took everyone's advice and did some research on triangulation type stabilizers (Bal Lock Arm, JT Strongarm, SteadyFast, PlugItRight, etc).

From what I read they all seem to do a good job, although the consensus favorite (at least among what I read) seemed to be the SteadyFast. Guessing everyone has a personal preference though.

That said, I decided to go with the BAL Lock Arm product to ensure compatibility with my factory installed BAL single arm stabilizers (at the four corners). Then I stumbled upon a bunch of posts saying that many trailers do not have a sufficient cross brace at the front to attach the BAL Lock Arm brackets to.

My trailer is a couple hours away on a seasonal site, so I guess I need to wait until my next trip to try to take a look. Will have to try to unhook some of the sealed bottom in order to gain visibility.

That was one of the stated advantages of the SteadyFasts... they cross the full width of the trailer, and mount only onto the side frame rails (as opposed to the BAL's which only span halfway and mount into the cross rail... if there is one!). I'm not 100% certain, but from the pictures I've seen of the JT's and PlugItRight, I think they are a similar design to the BAL's.

If anyone knows if my trailer has a sufficient cross brace at the front (I'm pretty sure the rear will not be a problem) I would appreciate your insight. I'm still recovering from open heart surgery, so it would save me recruiting someone to crawl under my trailer on my next visit. I'm sure my recruitee would appreciate it too!

If anyone knows from first-hand experience whether one brand/design is better than the other (BAL, JT, SteadyFast, PlugItRight, or other), I would certainly appreciate hearing about that as well. Same goes if you think my desire to stick with BAL for compatibility reasons is unnecessary.

As always, I greatly appreciate your insight!

2011 Rockwood Signature Series Ultralite 8317RKSS
lacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
Mod free 5er
If it were me, I would go from side to side and forget the center to leg style. Just buy or make some that go from left frame to right stabilizer jack pad or leg and from the right frame to the left stabilizer jack pad or leg and from the right stabilizer pad or leg back about 3' to the right frame and likewise on the left side.

OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote