Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #1

Bounce/Shimmy --- 8317RKSS

I know there are many threads and posts about stabilizing and getting the bounce and shimmy out of rv's, but wondering if anyone can shed some specific light on how to successfully shore up a Rockwood 8317RKSS.

I have levelled the trailer front to back and left to right, and I have snugged up the four factory stabilizer jacks. I have also installed a BAL X-Chock between the tandem wheels on both sides. Still, lying in bed at night you feel it bounce every time one of the children rolls, regardless of whether they are sleeping in the far bunks or in centre of the trailer.

So, I have now purchased four BAL scissor jacks. I see it written in many posts that you need to be very careful with these "ultralites", as it is easy to twist the frame. From what I've read, I gather that the goal is to just take some weight off the suspension... not actually lift the entire trailer!

What I don't understand however, is where to position the scissor jacks. Part of my confusion is that I've seen pictures of jacks installed along the frame that runs front to back down each side, but conversely I've seen other pictures where two jacks are installed along a support frame that runs across the underside of the trailer parallel to the axle.

Adding to my confusion is that the bottom of my 8317RKSS is sealed, so I can't even see where the frame is.

Does anyone know how to correctly position four scissor jacks on my specific unit? I intend to leave the factory stabilizers in place, and not permanently attach my new scissor jacks (assuming I figure out where to put them!).

I greatly appreciate any insight/guidance that anyone can provide.

Thanks,
Old 06-11-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I would "make" or purchase stabilizers .
such as the ones in my profile albums .
many ways to do it but in the front i have one from frame to right stabilizer and from that same stabilizer straight back.
then in the rear I have both of them from either stabilizer straight forward to the frame.

that has eliminated 90 % of my shimmy bounce .
if you have torsion axles that makes it worse but the stabilizers will help !

look here >>>>>>>>> Forest River Forums - f1100turbo's Album: my steady fast stabilizers
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The problem won't be fixed with scissors jack either. Look into stabilizers such as JT Strongarm or Steadyfast, or as f1100turbo suggests, make you own.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica
The problem won't be fixed with scissors jack either. Look into stabilizers such as JT Strongarm or Steadyfast, or as f1100turbo suggests, make you own.

Dave
Daves also right as I forgot to add to my post.
No jack "style" will solve your problem.
Triangulation is the key to stabilization
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Mod free 5er

After adding the JT type stabilizers (either homemade or store bought) I found out that to finish the job, I added scissor jacks directly in front of the axles to eliminate the suspension/tire bounce.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #6

Thanks everyone for your comments so far. The scissor jacks were a Christmas gift, so well beyond returning at this point. Perhaps I can take your shared advice and incorprate triangulation into the stock stabilizers.

Dunnnc, you said you "added scissor jacks directly in front of the axles"... where exactly do you mean? Along the side rails (frame), or along a cross frame?

Still eager to hear from someone who has this same/similar trailer with a sealed bottom.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacole View Post
... Dunnnc, you said you "added scissor jacks directly in front of the axles"... where exactly do you mean? Along the side rails (frame), or along a cross frame?

Still eager to hear from someone who has this same/similar trailer with a sealed bottom.

Thanks again everyone!
Both of my trailers had/have the sealed bottoms. I added the jacks to the 2 x 4 steel tube that connects the two axle mounting tubes to the axles. The brackets I made were welded to the jacks and then the brackets were bolted to the 2 x 4 tubing. The brackets are "U" shapes with bolts at the top.

I can take more pics if you want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle stabilizer jack.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	15240  
Old 06-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #8

dunnnc,
I really like the jacks you installed in front of the axles. Do they work well without the JT's locked in place?
Prodigy
M.I.L. in Florida for good!!
amxpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by amxpress View Post
dunnnc,
I really like the jacks you installed in front of the axles. Do they work well without the JT's locked in place?
They take the bounce out caused by the suspension, but don't help with the side to side or front to back motion. In my opinion, they are just the finishing touch on the motion. The JT type stabilizers (mine are homemade), the xchocks and the jacks in front of the axles complete the package.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01118.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	15246   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01119.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	15247   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01120.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	15248   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01121.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	15249  
Old 06-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #10
Plug It Right

I think dunnoc has the right idea. We have friends who did the same thing with scissor jacks and the bounce was gone. For the forward and back and side to side movement they went with the plug it right stabilizers like we use. Diana
Old 06-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #11

Thanks for the additional info and pics dunnnc; I greatly appreciate the time you took to help me (a perpetual newbie) understand!

I took everyone's advice and did some research on triangulation type stabilizers (Bal Lock Arm, JT Strongarm, SteadyFast, PlugItRight, etc).

From what I read they all seem to do a good job, although the consensus favorite (at least among what I read) seemed to be the SteadyFast. Guessing everyone has a personal preference though.

That said, I decided to go with the BAL Lock Arm product to ensure compatibility with my factory installed BAL single arm stabilizers (at the four corners). Then I stumbled upon a bunch of posts saying that many trailers do not have a sufficient cross brace at the front to attach the BAL Lock Arm brackets to.

My trailer is a couple hours away on a seasonal site, so I guess I need to wait until my next trip to try to take a look. Will have to try to unhook some of the sealed bottom in order to gain visibility.

That was one of the stated advantages of the SteadyFasts... they cross the full width of the trailer, and mount only onto the side frame rails (as opposed to the BAL's which only span halfway and mount into the cross rail... if there is one!). I'm not 100% certain, but from the pictures I've seen of the JT's and PlugItRight, I think they are a similar design to the BAL's.

If anyone knows if my trailer has a sufficient cross brace at the front (I'm pretty sure the rear will not be a problem) I would appreciate your insight. I'm still recovering from open heart surgery, so it would save me recruiting someone to crawl under my trailer on my next visit. I'm sure my recruitee would appreciate it too!

If anyone knows from first-hand experience whether one brand/design is better than the other (BAL, JT, SteadyFast, PlugItRight, or other), I would certainly appreciate hearing about that as well. Same goes if you think my desire to stick with BAL for compatibility reasons is unnecessary.

As always, I greatly appreciate your insight!

Thank-you,
Old 06-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

If it were me, I would go from side to side and forget the center to leg style. Just buy or make some that go from left frame to right stabilizer jack pad or leg and from the right frame to the left stabilizer jack pad or leg and from the right stabilizer pad or leg back about 3' to the right frame and likewise on the left side.