Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 07:36 PM   #1

Brakes replacement

I have a 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite. Checking my wheels bearings I decided to check on my brakes. Well, they are pretty bad. Any suggestions? Replace it with the same type? Upgrade? Any advice?
Thanks
Hman0109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:04 PM   #2

Brakes replacement

Hmm. You must have some miles on them or use them heavily or they were getting power on accident or they where out of adjustment.
I assume they are 10 x 2 1/4” and self adjust

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...BRK-35-SA.html

If you want good shoes??? You can get “Wagner or Rabestos” at a parts store. I will bet the shoes cost more than the assyms at etraiker

Manuals from eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0367.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	209631  
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:33 PM   #3

I agree about just getting the whole brake assy ... backing plate and all no matter who you source it from as it's really not that much more plus you're getting a new magnet. 5 bolts, two wires and you've got a new brake assy on that wheel. Some don't, but you should have the brake drum ground on both the shoe surface and the magnet armature surface to true both up for the new assy. You'll have to call around as not all brake shops can do the electric trailer brake drums.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwannacamp View Post
Hmm. You must have some miles on them or use them heavily or they were getting power on accident or they where out of adjustment.
I assume they are 10 x 2 1/4” and self adjust

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...BRK-35-SA.html

If you want good shoes??? You can get “Wagner or Rabestos” at a parts store. I will bet the shoes cost more than the assyms at etraiker

Manuals from eBay
I can find out exactly how many miles I drove with those. But, it really doesn't matter know. I need to replace them, period.
Now, do you know anything about disc brakes?
Thanks
Old 07-11-2019, 09:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
I agree about just getting the whole brake assy ... backing plate and all no matter who you source it from as it's really not that much more plus you're getting a new magnet. 5 bolts, two wires and you've got a new brake assy on that wheel. Some don't, but you should have the brake drum ground on both the shoe surface and the magnet armature surface to true both up for the new assy. You'll have to call around as not all brake shops can do the electric trailer brake drums.
For sure I will get the all deal, including drums. I need all four. They look pretty wear out!
Thanks
Old 07-11-2019, 09:54 PM   #6

I've bought lotsa trailer stuff from etrailer as they have pretty good prices and pretty fast shipping. As for disk brakes ... I put them on my Silverback 2 years ago for around $1650 doing all the work myself. figure another $1000+ if you have it done. I went with Kodiak disk brake parts and a Hydrastar power unit. The stopping power is really amazing!
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:54 AM   #7

You might consider upgrading to disk brakes. A little expensive but a major improvement in braking power. There is an outfit in OK that does it. They come to you and do the entire conversation. Cost me $2,500 and was the best money I have ever spent on an RV.

https://performancetrailerbraking.com/disc-brakes/

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:16 PM   #8

Brake Failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hman0109 View Post
I have a 2015 Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite. Checking my wheels bearings I decided to check on my brakes. Well, they are pretty bad. Any suggestions? Replace it with the same type? Upgrade? Any advice?
Thanks
When you say your brakes were pretty bad are you saying the brake material is gone and is now metal to metal or have they come apart and or full of grease and dust?

I had Dexter axles on my 2017 ultra lite 2604ws and two of the four self adjusting brakes failed during the first two years. I contacted Dexter and they sent me four complete brake assembly as well as one drum under warranty. The brake assembly were a new design and have worked well. Just got back from a 6000 mile trip out West in the mountains. If I was changing brakes on my $$ I would still buy the Dexter (US made) vs China from someone like E-trailer and for sure buy the assembly vs parts.

The old brakes had two springs holding the brakes against the top anchor pin and the new design only has one. Still plan on looking at brakes and repacking bearings every 12 to 18 months. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	210529   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017 (1).jpg
Views:	136
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	210530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0014.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	210531  
RockwoodUL2604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:56 PM   #9

I have Dexter too. I contacted Dexter and got their prices. Then, contact E-Trailer and they have Dexter assembly and drums for better price. So, I'm ready to place an order.
Thanks for the pictures. I will check if they have the upgrade model.
Thanks

Tags
brakes, replacement