Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2010, 08:01 PM   #1

bryanne7

Hello everyone, well we did it yesterday. After two used trailers we finally bought our first new one. Rockwood2604SS. Just wanted to ask what everyone thinks of the three different warranties they tried to sell us. the tire and rim warranty, interior and exterior finishes and seven year warranty. I am a class A mechanic and feel I could likely fix most of the issues myself, but wondering if the exterior warranty and extended warranty are indeed worth it. Any response would be great. Cold Canadian Campers. Thanks
bryanne7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #2
Grape Escape

Welcome to the forum
Get the 2 yr Forest River extended warrantee for apprx 150$.
Forget the other sales pitches.
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #3

I would ask for the 1 year extended warranty that FR offers for an additional $150.00, but you have to pay for this within 10 days of purchase. It extends the hitch to bumper factory warranty from one year to two years.

Is the 7 year warranty the one that costs an extra $1000.00? This warrenty has been brought up before on other threads and if you are handy with tools (and it sounds like it), save your money and fix it yourself. As mentioned before, what happens if the insurance company that holds the warranty goes belly up, your out of $1000.00.

I haven't heard of the tire and rim extended warranty, but then again, I'm also new to this forum...Warm Arizona Campers
nailit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:26 PM   #4

bryanne7

Thanks for your opinion, just to let you know we went to "ask an expert" on the forum and he told us that FR was going to give an additional $1000.00 discount and one more year extended warranty for free. We went to the dealer and told them what we found and they granted us the discounts no questions asked. We also feel that the extra warranties are a little pricy ( $1800.00 we were quoted ) and will not be taking them. Thanks for your reply
Old 11-21-2010, 09:27 PM   #5

bryanne7

Thanks for your reply. Will not be taking the extras
Old 11-21-2010, 09:59 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

What is the tire and rim warranty? As many blown tires as there are on here, I would have to think about it, depending on price, ESPECIALLY if it covered body damage done by a Chinese bomb disguised as a tire.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:54 AM   #7

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your new camper. Hope you have many fun and trouble free trips with it.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:31 AM   #8

I generally don't like extended warranties. They are an insurance policy, in which the underwriter is expecting to make money.

I was recently offered a 7 year warranty with tire and wheel coverage. I asked who the underwriter was and did a little research. The company was receiving a B+ on BBB and initially looked pretty good. After a little more research I found that the company had recently split from another company. Same CEO for both companies. The other insurance company was receiving an F and had hundreds of unresolved complaints. Additionally I did a little research about the CEO. He and most of his Facebook friends are from Syria. I don't usually put much thought into someone's race or birth place; but as a military member, I am a little concerned about giving money to someone who has so many ties to a country that has been repeatedly accused of supporting terrorism. This CEO may be a great guy that bleeds red, white and blue, I don’t know and I don’t have the ability to meet him. I just have to make decisions base on the info I have. I just couldn’t part with $2k and not feel comfortable about where the money is going and whether or not I’d get the service what I paid for years down the road.

Just do your own research. Many people have been very happy with their warranties. If they've been around for many years and have good reviews, it maybe worth spending the money.
tbiker99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 04:29 PM   #9

warranty, bryanne7

Thanks tbiker99, very interesting information you dug up. Sure makes one think as we will be doing about dishing out two grand. Thanks again

Tags
rockwood