Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #1

Bugs/Wasps behind the fridge

While doing some pre-loading for this weekend the DW said she heard buzzing from behind the wall. It was at the fridge and I knew wasps had gone in through the outside vent area. Two small black clips of some type at the top but didn't want to squeeze or push to hard in fear of breaking them. Knock on the outside wall and you can hear the critters getting stirred up. We got a guard with our starter kit that fits over the ports on the furnace, but nothing for the fridge. Anyone else run into this? How do you get the vent off and how do you prevent further invasions? Appreciate any words of wisdom!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
I used window screen and speed tape to seal the refridge vents, water heater and anything else that bugs may be about to get into. Oh yeah...Speed tape is an aluminized tape used to do minor repairs on airplanes!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #3

Turn the two black clips 1/4 turn and you can then pull the frig cover off. The top has about 4 tabs, so as you pull out the cover will slide down as well.
I purchased the frig cover screens as well as the ones for the water heater and furnace.
I wish you could put a screen on the AC since the mud daubers seem to love to build nests on the fan blades. If you ever turn your AC on and the whole tt vibrates, your first trouble shooting check should be the fan blades for a mud dauber nest.

Hope this helps.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:46 AM   #4

I bought some aluminum rain gutter screens at Lowes. Then cut to size with snips then used zip ties to hold in place. The aluminum should never rot out but have to keep an eye on zip ties.
mstell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
While doing some pre-loading for this weekend the DW said she heard buzzing from behind the wall. It was at the fridge and I knew wasps had gone in through the outside vent area. Two small black clips of some type at the top but didn't want to squeeze or push to hard in fear of breaking them. Knock on the outside wall and you can hear the critters getting stirred up. We got a guard with our starter kit that fits over the ports on the furnace, but nothing for the fridge. Anyone else run into this? How do you get the vent off and how do you prevent further invasions? Appreciate any words of wisdom!
Inspect at dark,I dont think they are Wasps. Might want to cover the hole in rear bumper end caps also. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:08 AM   #6

Appreciate the tips. I will pull the cover off tonight after I get home from work. Hopefully I can get the little buggers out and then a trip to the hardware store to get some fine mesh/screen.

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch
Old 06-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
The Old Man

I had a LARGE hornets nest in the back of the frig on my previous TT. I didn't really want to spray in there but had no choice unless I wanted to get a thousand stings. (I don't get along well with yellow jackets or hornets. )

After that I added a screen to the inside of the cover. I used a fabric window screen the covers the entire inside (easier than dealing with small pieces. I use duct tape to keep it in place. Make sure to avoid covering the opening with tape any more than necessary to just lightly hold it in place. Take the screen right up past the edge so that once you put the cover back on it will be a tight fit--the screen will be secure once you tighten the cover down. On my current TT, there is a drain hose from the frig. I cut a small "X" in the screen and then just let the drain hose poke out through one of the vents.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #8

Got the window screen installed behind the fridge vent panel and the hot water heater door. Found one small mud dauber nest being built in the fridge area and succeeded in removing it without getting stung.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and tips. Off to the lake tomorrow afternoon!

Randy and Patty
Reese 16K Slider hitch