Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #21

And here is the perfect letter for the reason "why do i need a power surge protection?"I am very sorry for your troubles BUT with the statement saying the "rear TV burned up!" and it was not even on says loads! First it proves the point of "it dose not matter if anything electric today is plugged in, it draws power" and that it seems you plugged into something that was WAY over the rated power your coach is rated for. So i hope there is nothing more wrong as power travels VERY FAST so have your entire electric system checked before it leaves any shop! And also that while at some shop or rv store that you purchase a surge protector to hopefully stop this in the future.
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:09 AM   #22

We have 110v now in the trailwr that ia working fine and we are currently running our lights and everything 12v off the battery charger that is plugged into the outside receptacle. We are getting by till we leave tomorrow and it seems to be working. My husband would like to talk by phone to some of you sometime. Can anyone call him in a few hours to discuss? PM and we will provide number. Just never enough time to type all the questions you can ask in person. Thank you!
dkkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Really does sound like an open Neutral problem, either in the pedestal, or the autoformer, or the surge protector, or the power cord.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #24

Hey Silverback 35ts, we did have it plugged into the hughes, then then surge before it's plugged into the trailer. We will definitely be having all the electrical checked before we get it back. It's a good recommendation. We had a devastating house fire about 20 years ago and watching that circuit panel area smoke for a while was very scary for me. I'm terrified of fire so we have to get this all figured out and have a system in place do it doesn't happen again. Thanks to everyone for so much input. This forum is a blessing.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Really does sound like an open Neutral problem,
That type of problem is made obvious by a 120 volt incandescent bulb (direct from AC mains - not from a converter). As other appliances power cycle, that bulb would change intensity. Intensity changes are reporting a decreasing or increasing voltage that - both conditions observed due to a loose or disconnected neutral wire.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to B and B
So a Hughes auto former tried to compensate for high leg and then when the neutral current changes it is too low and goes high... without a schematic for the Hughes it is hard to tell how it is wired what effect it would have open neutral.

A simple plug in 3 light tester will tell you if neutral is missing.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #27

We had almost the same issue with a new CC 36CKTS last summer. Plugged the trailer into the same plug we had been using for a couple years at the house with a TRC surge protector and fried the inverter, converter, vacuum and satellite receiver.

Had an electrician come check and he found an open neutral at the end of the power cord that goes into the trailer.

We took the trailer to the selling dealer FunTown RV in Cleburne Texas and it sat for about a month with constant conversations of we will get it in tomorrow. They finally called and said it was ready, when we got there nothing worked, they actually hadn't done anything. One of the managers came out and apologized and we tested the cord and confirmed it was bad. They replaced the inverter and converter and said to give them the receipt for the new 211Z and get FR to reimburse me.

They sent the cord to FR and they said there was nothing wrong with it and all damage must have been my fault and they were going to deny any and all warranty claims for electrical on the trailer.

Now I get to tell this story over and over to warn people to never buy a FR product.

P.S. We have a PI EMS-HW50C now and haven't had another issue.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:23 PM   #28

Have the campground get an electrician to check the pedestal BEFORE YOU LEAVE.

If no one came out to your site and they say the "levels are fine" they are sending another smoke cloud your way.

2014 Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #29

We did have them out and they tested and said everything OK. We ended up calling insurance and are making a claim. Also we found a place that can fix a lot sooner than the dealer where we bought it. Chesaco RV in Frederick are telling me they can't work on it until May 31, and that date came from my request in March because the fireplace had went out again after they had replaced it. If I didn't already have that appointment, it would have been June 15. What good does it do to have a warranty if you can't get your righ in for over 2 months. We are very disgusted with their service and are very sorry we bought a 7 year extended warranty. This trailer is new and we shouldn't have all these problems.

Tags
converter, electric