Old 04-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #1

Burn out of electric converter

Have a 2016 Windjammer 3008w and on our third trip out yesterday, had some serious electrical issues. When we turned on the breaker after plugging the 50 amp in, it blew our back TV (burned it right up), which we immediately unplugged. It wasn't even on. Then had the front TV and the fireplace on, which had stopped working at our last campout and they had replaced (was surprised it turned on), and everything went off and our circuit panel started smoking. Turns out the converter for the 12v to electric burned up. To say the least it was very scary. Cutting our trip short and taking back to the dealer to fix but hoping to fix before big Grand Canyon trip in June. Anyone else ever have this happen

Old 04-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #2
Site Team

Did you have a surge/electric protection device in line? It is possible the pedestal was wired incorrectly. You mention TV was not on. Almost all modern tvs ( and many other appliances) are always on to some extent, especially if they can be controlled by a remote.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:07 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Burn out of electric converter

I don't think your converter did this, sounds like whatever you plugged into did this!
A converter takes 110v and converts it to 12v .

Where was you plugged into?

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "0"
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 04-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #4

X3 with the pedestal being the problem. It sounds to me like there was a surge from the pedestal. Plus side you got things turned off without a fire. If you haven't done it already get a surge/circuit protector I use a portable and plug it into the pedestal first. Good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:19 AM   #5

small side note when I got a major surge while camped at Burning Man my TVs were shot or so I thought. I pulled the high voltage cover on the TV power unit and found a small fuse on the board that actually protected the TVs replace the fuse and both TVs worked fine. Just a thought
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:21 AM   #6
Site Team

I'm with Turbs here. This all sounds so familiar like you got a 240 volt connection somewhere.

What did you connect to, where was it, and did you use some kind of adapter?

When you plug into a 240 volt connection, the first thing that goes is the converter, and you usually lose the microwave, television and fireplace if equipped.

This is why your symptoms show this is what could have happened.

This thread and it's links may give more insight on this, but it's all guesswork.

No Lights or 12V power

Usually you don't have a 240 volt problem if connecting direct to a true RV 50 amp outlet (unless it's wired wrong or the neutral is perhaps bad). However if you connect to an outlet not properly wired as a 50 amp 120/240 volt split phase, it could easily happen.

Here is a link on open neutrals in 50 amp outlets:

Electric Issue

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
Site Team

This is another great website I recommend a lot. It has all kind of useful information that all RV'ers should know, especially on checking your outlets EACH and EVERY time before you plug in, especially if you do not have a form of EMS protection. It explains how to test outlets and even build plug-n-play testers.

It's also explains the open neutral possibility on 50 amp RV outlets.

I highly recommend that you peruse all the links and left hand tabs on the site.

RV Electric

On a side note, I personally have encountered miswired campground pedestals/outlets. I was pre-checking one at my favorite state campground late last year and it showed a reversed hot/neutral. Since I actually know most of the personnel there, I went to the office to tell my bud there what I found. He said they had just had some contract electric work done and that was one of the pedestals. He came out and fixed it himself. You just never know what happens before you get there, and should always test outlets.

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #8

We are at a high end campground, Shenandoah Crossing in Gordonsville, VA. They are a premier resort. We are plugged into a 50 amp, have a Hughes Autoformer RV220-50., and a surge. The Hughes also have surge protection in it as well. I called their office last night and had them check the power and they said everything was reading correctly.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #9

I sure hope our warranty will cover it
Old 04-09-2016, 01:36 PM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
If you can prove that the pedestal was wired wrong then the camp ground owner should be responsible for your repairs. Might be a good idea to have an electrition check the pedestal you were plugged into.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter, electric