Old 05-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #1

Buy Local

I've read countless threads where folks are not getting satisfactory service/warranty treatment with their local dealer from whom they did NOT purchase their trailer, frustrated that the dealer they bought from is "3-4 hours away" and they don't think they should/could make the drive.

I can't recall too many threads where folks have issues that their local dealer that they did buy from couldn't address, but that some other "non-selling" dealer 3-4 hours away did easily address.

Could I have saved $1k-$2k if I purchased my TT from a "Superstore" 3 hours down the road? Yes. Was I happy to pay my local dealer $1k-$2k more knowing that they value my relationship and that they'll be there for me when I need them? Hell yes!!!

Moral of the story - you get what you pay for!!! If making this major "nice to have" but don't "need to have" purchase can't be done locally because of $1k-$2k, then maybe you should rethink the purchase entirely.

I'm not trying to call anyone out. I know from personal experience that people come on here for advice before making their first purchase. Hopefully this thread will help them out as well.

csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by csyrell View Post
I've read countless threads where folks are not getting satisfactory service/warranty treatment with their local dealer from whom they did NOT purchase their trailer, frustrated that the dealer they bought from is "3-4 hours away" and they don't think they should/could make the drive.

I can't recall too many threads where folks have issues that their local dealer that they did buy from couldn't address, but that some other "non-selling" dealer 3-4 hours away did easily address.

Could I have saved $1k-$2k if I purchased my TT from a "Superstore" 3 hours down the road? Yes. Was I happy to pay my local dealer $1k-$2k more knowing that they value my relationship and that they'll be there for me when I need them? Hell yes!!!

Moral of the story - you get what you pay for!!! If making this major "nice to have" but don't "need to have" purchase can't be done locally because of $1k-$2k, then maybe you should rethink the purchase entirely.

I'm not trying to call anyone out. I know from personal experience that people come on here for advice before making their first purchase. Hopefully this thread will help them out as well.

I guess it's a roll of the dice considering the warranty is only good for a year two at best if you can still get the 2nd year after that your free to take it anywhere to get repaired.

Personally I bought 250 miles away got a 3.5K better deal and yep I took it to the local dealer for some minor warranty work and yes I was put on the back on the wait list which was fine with me in reality the local dealer service was lousy a bunch of bumbling stumbling idiots.

IMHO would have been better off taking the trailer 250 miles back to to where I bought it so I'm glad I didn't buy local I saved 3.5K and their service dept stinks to boot.

Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:37 AM   #3

Buy from the dealer with the best $$$ deal. Doesn't matter if it is 1000 miles away. Never return to any dealer for service. Use independent service only shops/mobile for warranty work. You will get better service and only be without your rig for hours/days instead of weeks/months.

We have been doing this for years and are MUCH happier. We use our RV a lot and things rarely break close to home, so relying on a local dealer for service just doesn't make sense.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:41 AM   #4

I did not have a local dealer for the trailer i purchased. The local dealer had just gone out of business. There was a dealer 3 hours away but they wanted 8k more than the dealer I purchased from. Now from a business stand point it seems crazy for a dealer to care where you bought from as the majority of there profit comes from service not sales. The standard trailer comes with a 1 year warranty. So wouldn't it make sense to do a few warranty repairs and earn a customer that you can earn profit on. I did the same thing with my truck. I purchased it at 1 dealer because they had the truck I wanted and have it serviced at another because the service department is better and the dealer doing the service will come out better over time. I am lucky enough to have an RV dealer close by that does not care where you purchased and because of that they have a customer that will continue to spend money there. I agree convenience is worth paying for but only to a certain extent. I believe when your not buying local it's usually because of more than 1 or 2k dollars.
inspectorgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Buy from the dealer with the best $$$ deal. Doesn't matter if it is 1000 miles away. Never return to any dealer for service. Use independent service only shops/mobile for warranty work. You will get better service and only be without your rig for hours/days instead of weeks/months.

We have been doing this for years and are MUCH happier. We use our RV a lot and things rarely break close to home, so relying on a local dealer for service just doesn't make sense.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forest River Forums mobile app

X2...Now I live 2500 miles away from my selling dealership and haven't needed any work done since and my warranty is expired that's what I am going to do for any future work that I may need.
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:43 AM   #6

Now vice versa. We bought our trailer local and saved almost $2000 but they are known for not having the best service department. Should we have spent more and traveled the 4 hours one way to another dealer? Our last trailer we had for 12 years and never once had to take it in for service. I guess its a gamble either way.
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #7

I agree with you if your local dealer is competent. Our local dealer is a crook and the service department is an absolute joke. There is no way that I'm going to give them my service when I buy my next trailer. Example of their attitude, my BIL brought his 6 month old trailer in for a leak around the bedroom vent, the local dealer refused to do the repair under warranty because he hadn't brought it in for the required roof inspection every three months. Who takes their trailer in for roof inspection every three months. They wanted to charged him so he took it home and had a independent guy do it for half the cost. He bought the trailer from these guys, it should happen like this. I have heard other stories but they are second hand reports so I won't go there.
Lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #8
Fulltime family RVer

In theory that works. In reality, we picked both our campers online and had to find selling dealers for them.

In one case, the closest dealer was 75 minutes away but didn't get great reviews on service and became obstinate during the sale. The next closest dealer was about 3 1/2 hours away. They're who I bought from. And their service department SUUUUUUUCKED.

With this camper, there were only 12-15 of this model in the country east of Texas/Colorado. I tried dealing with the dealer that was closest to me, but they became deceitful a few days before we were to go pickup the camper. I had to go with the next closest. And sadly, they too SUUUUUUCK from a service perspective.

If you have a good local dealer, good on ya. But it's rare.
Old 05-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #9

Sorry. Local dealer was $26,000 more, on his best deal.

But he did some warranty work anyway. No issues.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #10

I agree you should buy local..... but

The local dealer didn't have the model we wanted and we wanted to see the unit in advance.

We wanted an available unit so that we could start traveling.

So we bought an available unit 300+ miles from home.

You are correct. The local dealer didn't want to deal with it, but given their long waiting time for warranty work (6 months), we dealt with the problems ourselves or used a mobile mechanic and since it was a small item, we just paid him.

2015 Dynamax REV 24TB class C
2nd rig 2006 Toyota Tundra &
2010 Cikira 21RB 19' travel trailer
Reverse_snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote