Old 10-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #11

Great news! Same tires on the 8289ws we just purchased. One of mine came with a puncture in the sidewall. Over the winter I will be getting the Maxxis tires.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:04 AM   #12

Glad everything is going smooth for you. My 8280 was manufactured July 2013 and thus far I am happy with my factory installed water filter. No leaks. Do use the supplied canister wrench to tighten the housing and seat the filter in that housing correctly. Seems like there is a lot of chatter about folks having leaks with factory set up. Not sure if its user error or bad design. If I recall correctly, I think a housing design change was made a couple models back (not sure). Anyway, I will continue to use the factory filter set up until it gives me issues. I like its performance, method of filtering, and reasonable replacement cost for new cartridge. The advantage that we have in the 8280 model is where our filter is accessed--in the basement storage area behind a simple to remove panel.

Be sure and keep posted and let us know how we can help when those inevitable snafus do show up in your new RV.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronb707 View Post
Glad everything is going smooth for you. My 8280 was manufactured July 2013 and thus far I am happy with my factory installed water filter. No leaks. Do use the supplied canister wrench to tighten the housing and seat the filter in that housing correctly. Seems like there is a lot of chatter about folks having leaks with factory set up. Not sure if its user error or bad design. If I recall correctly, I think a housing design change was made a couple models back (not sure). Anyway, I will continue to use the factory filter set up until it gives me issues. I like its performance, method of filtering, and reasonable replacement cost for new cartridge. The advantage that we have in the 8280 model is where our filter is accessed--in the basement storage area behind a simple to remove panel.

Be sure and keep posted and let us know how we can help when those inevitable snafus do show up in your new RV.
I used industrial strength Velcro on the water line access panel. Works great and no more screws.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fivealive View Post
I used industrial strength Velcro on the water line access panel. Works great and no more screws.
So many thanks for that simple, obvious solution. I usually make things too hard, like I was considering hinging that door. I am planning a trip to Menard's this afternoon and will pick up some Velcro!!! Thanks for that tip. Maybe later on I will even substitute the panel with a plexiglass one. I like to keep a eye on things.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #15

Whew! Finally home. I got 9 mpg on the trip. MY TV is a 2007 GMC 1500 classic with a tow package and a 5.3 L engine. I had moderate winds.

All the locks were horribly dry. Almost inoperable. They all got the graphite treatment as soon as I got home.

Over the next few weeks I'll be moving the mods on my old 5th into my new 5th; pair of Trojan 6V batts, PD converter/charger with charge wizard, Xantrex Link 10 battery monitor, and Fantastic Vent.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #16

When did Maxxis become a good tire?
Old 10-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rig View Post
Read the reviews on Maxxix ST tires. If you run them low on pressure for the load or drive too fast on them they are prone to failure like any other tire. It's your money and your rig so put whatever tire you want on it. For me I like the security of my Maxxis. The good Year Marathons are right up there with the Maxxis, either would be a good choice.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Rig View Post
Why is easier to answer than when. I've been researching the best trailer tire since you posted, and general consensus is that Maxxis is the best. This is based on the collective anecdotal evidence of most forum (boat, RV etc.) members. Of course, anecdotal evidence only holds so much weight. I'm still looking for empirical data comparing trailer tires against each other.

I'm one of those who had a catastrophic tire failure on my old 5th wheel. It took out the fender, knocked a hole in the wheel well and even destroyed a nearby exterior 110 v outlet. So I'm keenly interested in the quality of trailer tires and open to all opinions.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
Read the reviews on Maxxix ST tires. If you run them low on pressure for the load or drive too fast on them they are prone to failure like any other tire. It's your money and your rig so put whatever tire you want on it. For me I like the security of my Maxxis. The good Year Marathons are right up there with the Maxxis, either would be a good choice.
Carlisle Radial Trail RH is getting good reviews in these and most of the other forums. A relatively new tire that seems to be holding up well. I just bought a set and I definitely noticed an improvement in the way the trailer pulls. May be a good alternative to Maxxis if you can't find them.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:09 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Our new Rockwood has Trail Express tires...are they a Chinese brand? (I've read nothing but bad things about Chinese tires.)

6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
280, 8280ws, rockwood