Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2018, 05:40 PM   #1

Can a Heat Strip Be Installed in a Ducted System?

Can a heat strip be added to a 2019 2604WS ? I have heard they don’t go with ducted systems. Any truth to this? I am interested in this in addition to being able to run a small portable electric heater when it gets cold out.
mlawler506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:03 PM   #2
Site Team

Here's a strip that says it's for ducted models.

Ducted A/C Heat Strip
Old 11-01-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
54 Years, 13 RV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlawler506 View Post
Can a heat strip be added to a 2019 2604WS ? I have heard they don’t go with ducted systems. Any truth to this? I am interested in this in addition to being able to run a small portable electric heater when it gets cold out.
Yes you can. I have a Dometic 13,500 AC in my 2018 2304KS with ducting. I installed the heat strip, control module and new thermostat to make it work.

I personally really like it and for what it is (5600 BTUs) it works well. Mine runs for a while before you really feel it.

Many will tell you it's not worth the cost and effort. That's a personal opinion that varies.

In really cold weather, with the heat strip on, when the room temp goes 5 degrees below the heat strip set point, it turns on the furnace and boosts the temp back up.

Then it turns the furnace off until its needed again. In colder weather you can have a 5 to 7 degree temp fluctuation.

Don't remember for sure, but I think the cost of all three components was around $700 or so. You may or may not have to change your control unit and thermostat.

If you have a white plastic plug on the side of the control, AND a heat strip mode on the thermostat, the heat strip will just plug in and work.

If not, you'll have some work to do, including possibly running an additional wire from the AC to the thermostat. Possibly a PITA job.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:24 PM   #4
54 Years, 13 RV's

Be sure to do your homework on this. There are several heat strips, control boxes and thermostats out there and they don't all work together.

Check online for YouTube videos and look at etrailer.com for how to's.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:06 PM   #5

Thankyou all
Old 11-02-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
jkoenig24

BEFORE you shut off a heat strip, switch to the FAN setting and allow the heat strip to cool down for a minute or three. Heat strips have a SAFETY SWITCH that shuts down power if the strip overheats. If the safety switch trips, there is a MANUAL RESET which can be a PITA to access. Switches that automatically reset ARE available BUT, I understand that government regulations don't allow manufacturers to use them (Big Brother KNOWS what's best for everybody ). I retrofitted a self-resetting switch on my first trailer after shutting down the heat strip without allowing a cool off period. Why the manual reset switch could not have been placed in a more accessible place is still a mystery to me.
jkoenig24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #7

Check this link out https://www.your-rv-lifestyle.com/cheapheat/

I know of one person who has installed this and is very happy with the results.
shadows4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #8
ADK

Our 8328bs Rockwood has the 13,500 second air in the bedroom with the heat strip, we just got back from 44 degree temps and ran the 2nd air and the fireplace and it stayed 72 in the trailer and they cycled off and on.
2018 Rockwood #8328BS
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #9

Thanks for the info. I ordered the heat strip. Hopefully the installation is simple. Hope it does not require additional wiring or a new thermostat
Old 11-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #10

Well, the heat strip installation is not so simple. Turns out you need to have a heat pump thermostat and a possible change to a control box inside the AC unit. I had asked Airxcel what parts would be needed. There was no mention of the thermostat or control box, just order the part from your dealer. I just ordered the part on Amazon and did not get the invaluable info from the dealer. So, sometimes saving money can be the dumb move.

The economics of this starts to wither when one considers a small electric heater is about $20.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #11
54 Years, 13 RV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlawler506 View Post
Well, the heat strip installation is not so simple. Turns out you need to have a heat pump thermostat and a possible change to a control box inside the AC unit. I had asked Airxcel what parts would be needed. There was no mention of the thermostat or control box, just order the part from your dealer. I just ordered the part on Amazon and did not get the invaluable info from the dealer. So, sometimes saving money can be the dumb move.

The economics of this starts to wither when one considers a small electric heater is about $20.
See posts #3 & 4.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:35 AM   #12

I would think that just plugging in several small electric heaters around the coach would suffice better - as even if you go to the trouble to add the optional elements to an existing roof unit, heat rises - so I wouldn't think that it would be as sufficient since you also have to run the fan in order for it to push the heat 'down' into the living areas, unless you just like that.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #13

I despaired and sent the heat strip back to Amazon. The cost and effort did not make sense to eliminate a small electric heater.

Tags
led