Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2016, 07:16 PM   #1

Can any Rockwood Ultra Lite owners let me know how the underbelly looks?

I've had two people tell me that the underbellies on the Rockwood Ultra Lites are different than the ones on the Signature line, but I can't get anyone to tell me how they are any different. Are the Ultra Lite level Rockwoods fully enclosed? Does it just enclose between the frame rails?

I would love any information anyone would have!

Thank you!
strider_gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:36 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
The descriptions and pictures found at forestriver.com is identical for both series...for what thats worth

Rockwood Ultra Lite Travel Trailers / Fifth Wheels by Forest River RV
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 07-26-16 at 05.34 PM.jpg
Views:	738
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	115426  
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:52 PM   #3

My previous unit (2013 2604ws) had the space between the frame rails enclosed. There is about a foot or so around the entire unit that is not enclosed.

On the Signatures, the underbelly is fully enclosed, and the metal skirting wraps around the bottom, leaving nothing exposed.

2016 Silverado 2500HD Z71 | Duramax | Crew LTZ
NMWHITIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:08 PM   #4

My Signature Ultra Lite 8312SS looks just like the posted image.... Cloroplast underbelly secured to the aluminum skirting the whole way around....completely enclosed

2021 Cedar Creek 37MBH
2020 F350 Powerstroke Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab
Northern NJ - God Bless America!
dieselbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWHITIS View Post
My previous unit (2013 2604ws) had the space between the frame rails enclosed. There is about a foot or so around the entire unit that is not enclosed.
Thank you for the information!

So what is exposed by the foot of space that is not enclosed? Does that leave me susceptible to rodent damage or anything else potentially troublesome?
Old 07-28-2016, 07:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider_gts View Post

So what is exposed by the foot of space that is not enclosed? Does that leave me susceptible to rodent damage or anything else potentially troublesome?
My Super V is built like this too. What I see here in this area exposed is the vapor barrier(I think) on the bottom of the floor. Upon close inspection of this perimeter, I can see in looking at the spray pattern of "mud" from the wheels is that the polyethylene liner in the wheel wells has a gap that I sealed with some leftover eternabond tape to preclude water migration. I also see numerous staples exposed up there and instances along the perimeter where the sheet metal skirt meets the floor, where the screws penetrate the vapor barrier and leave a hole in it. Since I have the left over eternabond and it is way sticky, I'm putting it to use instead of leaving it on the shelf in the garage to get old and unusuable. Maybe these items make no difference, but that's my story and it's not going to hurt a thing
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:05 AM   #7
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:

A sheet of plastic like all these Rockwood / Flagstaff units have regardless if it covers the full belly or not will not prevent mice from getting in your trailer. A mouse can get through a hole the size of a pencil eraser and there are lots of holes that size in these trailers. Couple that with the fact that they just hack holes out in the floor to fit wires and plumbing through that are 3 or 4 times the size they need to be and I can tell you from experience that you can feel breezes coming through the openings in the floor.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:06 AM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:

A sheet of plastic like all these Rockwood / Flagstaff units have regardless if it covers the full belly or not will not prevent mice from getting in your trailer. A mouse can get through a hole the size of a pencil eraser and there are lots of holes that size in these trailers. Couple that with the fact that they just hack holes out in the floor to fit wires and plumbing through that are 3 or 4 times the size they need to be and I can tell you from experience that you can feel breezes coming through the openings in the floor. Not sure if anyone else has this but I even have a vent in the center of the belly on mine.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 08:49 AM   #9
Site Team

My 8282ws is fully enclosed underneath.
The difference they are talking about may be the frame size.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:50 AM   #10

At this point in this video you can kind of see underneath a new "ultra" Rockwood. It really looks like the underbody covering goes all the way to the edge, although at that angle maybe it's just hard to see that it doesn't?

Or maybe it's changed in the last year or two.

Somehow I have to keep mice out because they get into everything around here. Whether that be from steel wool, spray foam insulation or whatever. That will be job number 1 for me when I pick this thing up!
Old 07-28-2016, 11:01 AM   #11

I just looked at my 2017. It's enclosed up to the inside of the frame I beams just like the picture in post 2.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #12
Learning a lot as I go...

Honestly the coroplast covering is probably more likely to be an attraction is it provides a sheltered place to live.

That said my impression on my 2604WS is that the covering between the frame rails is fairly well sealed up. They do cut/hack holes for plumbing egress but they they shoot them up with black expanding foam.

The open sides are just the plastic covering over the trailer deck. The deck is about a 1/4" plywood sheet on top and on bottom with about 1 1/2" foam core. After the tanks and some wiring, this is the first part put on the trailer during construction.

They put a lot less holes in the bottom of the deck than they could. As an example the water hoses from the water pump and wires do not pass under nor over that deck, they actually pass *through* the deck in between the skins.

When they do put in a hole they are pretty crude about it though but they must get a great deal on black expanding foam because they use enough of it.
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejahr View Post
they must get a great deal on black expanding foam because they use enough of it.
As someone who loves expanded foam this is music to my ears =)

Actually your entire post was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. Thank you so much!!

Tags
rockwood, underbelly