Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #1

Canadian newbie buying 8317 rkss

Hello everyone, great sight. I am a newbie looking at buying a 8317 rkss. I am looking at buying in the states because I can save a lot of money. 34,000 is the best price I can find in Canada.

I am wondering if there is any issues with getting warrenty work done if any is required and if it is a pain bringing into the country. Some of the local dealers on other models said the warranty would be void.

I don't want to buy local because of my dealer here so would have to take any trailer I buy to another location anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:11 AM   #2

rigger....go for it. We just bought a new trailer from American R.V. in Grand Rapids Mi.. It was no trouble at all. The people at the border in Sarnia couldn't have been nicer or more helpful (both sides of the border). Ditto for the people at RIV. We dealt mainly with Matt at American RV but everyone was helpful. Prices were much better too. You can private message us if you would like but hurry if you have urgent questions as we are leaving for Florida next week for a few weeks. We will give you whatever help we can. Old Guys
Old 02-09-2010, 02:40 PM   #3

questions

Rigger.....I got your private message and have tried to reply to it several times today but it just won't allow it to happen. If you feel comfortable sending me your e-mail address by private message I would be happy to reply by e-mail with any answers I can help you with. Old Guys.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:26 PM   #4

Rigger......Got it. I'm helping my son-in -law at his fishing supply store just now but I'll send you the answers to-night. Old Guys
Old 02-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #5

Ordered the new trailer today. Hoping for the best!!!
2005 Brute Force 750
And most importantly, a loving wife, 2 year old son and a NEW BABY GIRL NOV.30 (I do it all for them!)
Old 02-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #6

Hey rigger, where in Alberta are you from??

2000 Volvo 660 D12 425 hp 1550 torque 15 speed, Trailer Saver air ride hitch. 2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS 40'10" triple slide, triple axle 5'er toybox, 300 watts solar, 3000 watt inverter, Onan 5500 Marques Platnum. 1998 Polaris 300 Explorer 4X4 quad, 2003 Polaris 700 Sportsman 4X4 quad, 1994 Jeep YJ "TOAD" 3" lift 31" ProComp Mud Terrain tires

https://community.webshots.com/user/Bears319

https://www.picturetrail.com/bears319

Mission Statement : ZZZZzzzzz
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #7

Moved into Okotoks back 4 years ago. We've been enjoying the area ever since.
2005 Brute Force 750
And most importantly, a loving wife, 2 year old son and a NEW BABY GIRL NOV.30 (I do it all for them!)
Old 03-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #8

We just got an RKSS and love it. We are going on first outing this weekend, got it for 23,500 with Reese Straight Line WD and Reese trailer break controller installed. Hope this helps
Greenshield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #9

Hello Greenshield, and everyone! We just ordered a new 8317RKSS and will be delivered in 8 weeks. We have had before a Roo 21SS and really enjoyed, but the setup was an issue (not at the beginning when we move from our 1910 Freedom Pop-Up) but now is time to improve.

Green shield, tell us about you first experience on the new 8317RKSS!
rvfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 PM   #10

Wehad our first trip almost 2 weeks ago, loved it! I upgraded to an f-250 diesel. The trailer has a pretty high hitch weight, so be careful with 1/2 tons. It was a joy with three kids and one dog. Make sure you latch the pocket doors shut before transport. No problems at all though!

Husky 16K slider hitch.

New Trailer 2013 Wildcat 344QB Touring Edition with angled master bed.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenshield View Post
Wehad our first trip almost 2 weeks ago, loved it! I upgraded to an f-250 diesel. The trailer has a pretty high hitch weight, so be careful with 1/2 tons. It was a joy with three kids and one dog. Make sure you latch the pocket doors shut before transport. No problems at all though!
Did your fx4 have any problems towing the trailer at all ? We purchased the same trailer and hoping I don't have to upgrade my f150 any time soon.

Night's camped in 2010 36
MrSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #12

I towed it back from the RV dealer three hours away. The truck did the job bu it was right on it's limits. We have a family of five and two dogs. We would really have to be watching our trailer weight big time, which is a hassle. If you don't tow far and have a smaller family, your truck will be just fine. Is yours a Super Crew? DO you have the maximum weight tow package? If you have the package and a small family, you should be OK on less than 500 mile trips on flat land. THe mountains were a beast with the F-150. Like I said she can handle it and it's right on the limit, so no room for error. Also the longer wheel base of the super duty is very important. As much so or more than GVWR or tow weight. Get the Reese Straight line Trunnion dual cam Weight Distribution hitch. It is a must! I think after a trip or two you will be like me and out hunting for a larger TV. Buy a used Diesel, you can get them for a steal in good shape and with the radiator recall already done on them. I pay 20 bucks less a month for this almost new Lariat than I did for my 06 FX4. Tee FX is a great truck and served me well, but if you are on here asking yourself if you need to get a bigger truck, my guess is you already know the answer. This was the case for me, and hey it's great to have complete peace of mind while towing as much as you want, whenever you want, wherever you want with that trailer. My advice is to do a little hunting and pecking, and find yourself a good used Diesel, stay away from the 6.0 lliter PowerStrokes though. I hope this helped, as I know I was looking for every bit of info I could find while I was in your shoes.

Husky 16K slider hitch.

New Trailer 2013 Wildcat 344QB Touring Edition with angled master bed.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #13
Banned

we have a 07 2601 rockwood bought from travelhome. Piece of junk . would never buy another forest rive product again. always in for repairs . we had to ship it back to the factory for repairs .so be careful
reretsiger2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:39 PM   #14

reretsiger2007, please don't come to this forum to bash Forest River, we are a group of owners and this site is not tied to Forest River in any way or form, if you have a question or comment, please post it, maybe we can help you with info on common issues, but as I see you have posted 5 times so far, each of those I have seen is a bashing, take it somewhere else
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #15

Looks like reretsiger2007 joined only to bash FR.

If you have a problem, be a man and let us know what's going on. Bashing will get you nowhere here.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenshield View Post
I towed it back from the RV dealer three hours away. The truck did the job bu it was right on it's limits. We have a family of five and two dogs. We would really have to be watching our trailer weight big time, which is a hassle. If you don't tow far and have a smaller family, your truck will be just fine. Is yours a Super Crew? DO you have the maximum weight tow package? If you have the package and a small family, you should be OK on less than 500 mile trips on flat land. THe mountains were a beast with the F-150. Like I said she can handle it and it's right on the limit, so no room for error. Also the longer wheel base of the super duty is very important. As much so or more than GVWR or tow weight. Get the Reese Straight line Trunnion dual cam Weight Distribution hitch. It is a must! I think after a trip or two you will be like me and out hunting for a larger TV. Buy a used Diesel, you can get them for a steal in good shape and with the radiator recall already done on them. I pay 20 bucks less a month for this almost new Lariat than I did for my 06 FX4. Tee FX is a great truck and served me well, but if you are on here asking yourself if you need to get a bigger truck, my guess is you already know the answer. This was the case for me, and hey it's great to have complete peace of mind while towing as much as you want, whenever you want, wherever you want with that trailer. My advice is to do a little hunting and pecking, and find yourself a good used Diesel, stay away from the 6.0 lliter PowerStrokes though. I hope this helped, as I know I was looking for every bit of info I could find while I was in your shoes.
Thanks for the info greenshield.

I picked up the 8317rkss on Saturday and brought it home (1 hour) drive. My Super crew f150 with 373 gears and equalizer hitch did a nice job towing it home.

I realize my the trailer is empty and will be going out on a few short trips in May....I guess I will have to wait til then and see how she does loaded.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:05 PM   #17

Oh my godness, MrSen!!

.............. The links in your sig are not working................
Old 04-05-2010, 09:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
Oh my godness, MrSen!!

.............. The links in your sig are not working................

Old 04-05-2010, 10:31 PM   #19

Cool.

Oh, how I like, the out-door kitchen.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:34 PM   #20

Does yours have this option?

Tags
rockwood