Old 09-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #11

It is a gassy dog that sets ours off. Sometimes have to cover the unit.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:04 PM   #12

We were on vacation in Michigan in mid July and ours went off at 2:00am, never goes off during the day, the camper is just over a year old so I tried resetting it to no avail. I did what i did in the old camper when it happened at 2am was to pull it out and cut the wires and turn off the propane. I did not smell any propane so I knew we were ok, the next morning I hooked it back up bought leak detector and checked all of the propane connections and found no leaks. A few days later it went off again at 2am so i open the vent in the kitchen and turned on my create a breeze fan in the bathroom and less than 20 seconds it reset itself. The only thing I can pinpoint it to is both days we used the stove to boil water to make rice or a heat some beans and I did not open the hood vent and use the exhaust fan because we had the vent in the roof open and the door open. The odd thing is this past Sunday my wife was cleaning up the stove after I made breakfast ans accidentally turned the propane on for a few seconds she called me to come in to make sure the alarm does not go off and vent the place, there was a noticeable propane smell and I looked down and the alarm had no power to it, her when I reattached the wires I must not have crimped the wire with the connect good enough so the wire came off. My last camper it went off when the detector was 6 years old so I replaced it, this is a little over a year so I am not sure but the glue explanation has me thinking.

Phil
2012 Ford F-350 Lariat Crew Cab 6.2L FlexFuel
2014 Rockwood Windjammer 3008W
fil564 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 11:25 PM   #13

CO alarms

After a career in the fire service I have been on hundreds of CO alarm calls. Most of these calls were false alarms due to the units failing. This seemed to fall around the 5 year period. However, the location of the alarm can also be a problem. Ours is located under our oven next to the refrigerator. If we cook quite a bit especially if it is colder outside our alarm goes off quite often. It is not a false alarm but is responding to the CO given off from our oven or stove. These alarms are not "false". Every time this alarm goes off you should try and find the source. Dust or dirt on the unit can also cause a false reading which also is true of your smoke alarm. Dusting or vacuuming the unit sometimes resolves this but remember, this is a deadly gas. These units are designed to go off well before the CO level becomes lethal and just like your smoke alarm, will give you time to check things out. Reset or replace but never ignore.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #14

I believe they get dusty inside,,, and that contributes to the false alarms !!!
I took our old one out and lightly vacuumed it,,, It seamed to help for a while !!!
Old 09-10-2015, 08:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggiewaggie View Post
It is a gassy dog that sets ours off. Sometimes have to cover the unit.
Most sprays will set then off also,,, deodorant or body spray for sure !!!
Old 09-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #16

The propane alarm in our 2011 Georgetown will also sound when the battery voltage drops to low. Not a problem in the Summer but in the Winter, when the furnace runs at night when dry camping ......

One solution I've found is to add a third battery in parallel to the two coach batteries.

Phil