Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2017, 02:46 PM   #1

Carlisle Tires

I am looking to replace my factory tires with Carlisle Tires in 225/75R15 in a D load rating. They show a higher speed rating than most ST tires. Has anyone used this brand of tires and what was the result?
Biggs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:52 PM   #2

Just switched to them in the E load range. First long distance trip this coming weekend. The other thing about these tires is they have a higher tolerance for heat. Hoping I found the right match.
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:53 PM   #3

Went with the HD Trail tires.
2016 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi 4x4
RusLwt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:05 PM   #4

I have used Carlisle tires for years on my cargo trailers for business. Put Carlisle's (load range e) on my camper after having 2 blowouts on one trip to Austin the first year and have had 3 years of trouble free camping. Great tires!
2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3001w Diamond
Handydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
Retired

Took the WJ to the "shoe" store this morning and had 5 new sneakers installed.
After reading the plethora of post on the FRF about tires the Carlisle RadialTrail HD seemed to be a good choice.
Click image for larger version

Name:	file.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	430.9 KB
ID:	135079

Happy Trails
Old 04-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #6

You will be very happy with your Carlisle's. Excellent choice.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyUS View Post
Took the WJ to the "shoe" store this morning and had 5 new sneakers installed.
After reading the plethora of post on the FRF about tires the Carlisle RadialTrail HD seemed to be a good choice.
Attachment 135079

Happy Trails
It looks like the tire installer had no idea how the red & yellow dots on the tire sidewall are supposed to be used. (Balancing)
Old 04-21-2017, 08:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handydc View Post
You will be very happy with your Carlisle's. Excellent choice.
Ditto
cobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #9
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
It looks like the tire installer had no idea how the red & yellow dots on the tire sidewall are supposed to be used. (Balancing)
All five tires were balanced...the "weights" are on the inside...much cleaner look than a bunch of metal hanging on the rim
Happy Trails
Old 04-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
All five tires were balanced...the "weights" are on the inside...much cleaner look than a bunch of metal hanging on the rim
Happy Trails
The tires you showed in the pictures have red and yellow dots. Those are normally used to properly align the tire on the wheel for balancing. Sometimes balancing weights may not be needed at all.

Depending on tire manufacturer's individual procedure, one of the colored dots will be aligned with the tire pressure stem or a dimple on the wheel.

Most trailer tire/wheel assemblies are lug-centric. An adapter plate is required to perform accurate balancing of lug-centric wheel/tire assemblies.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #11

Thanks for all the great comments. Installed the new Carlisle tires last weekend. Only traveled 150 miles after install they run a lot colder than the others. Think I will like them a lot.
Biggs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #12

Great tires, you will be very happy.

Sent from my Pixel using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 05-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdale View Post
The tires you showed in the pictures have red and yellow dots. Those are normally used to properly align the tire on the wheel for balancing. Sometimes balancing weights may not be needed at all.

Depending on tire manufacturer's individual procedure, one of the colored dots will be aligned with the tire pressure stem or a dimple on the wheel.

Most trailer tire/wheel assemblies are lug-centric. An adapter plate is required to perform accurate balancing of lug-centric wheel/tire assemblies.

Never understood the "dot" rationale. The tire manufacturer has no idea what wheels or stems will be used and has no idea how out-of-balance the wheel-and-stem assembly will or will not be... let alone WHERE the out-of-balance condition will be on the wheel-and-stem assembly.
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325BH View Post
Never understood the "dot" rationale. The tire manufacturer has no idea what wheels or stems will be used and has no idea how out-of-balance the wheel-and-stem assembly will or will not be... let alone WHERE the out-of-balance condition will be on the wheel-and-stem assembly.

This is the most descriptive answer I have in my files. It's from the pages of "Tire Business".

"The dots on new tires that have them are not critical but are intended to guide technicians when positioning the tire on the rim during the mounting process.

Since it is very hard to make a tire that is perfectly balanced, some tire manufacturers apply yellow dots that indicate the tire's light balance point and serve to help you balance the assembly while mounting the tire. The yellow dots should be aligned with the valve stem on both steel and aluminum wheels since this is the wheel's heavy balance point. This will help minimize the amount of weight needed to balance a tire and wheel assembly. So usually, whenever you see a yellow dot, match it up with the valve stem.

This is always true except in cases where a red dot also appears in the lower sidewall. The red dot indicates the high point for both radial runout and radial force variation. As I'm sure you know, not only is it hard for tire manufacturers to make a perfectly balanced tire, it also is very difficult to make a perfectly round tire.

Tires tend to have high spots and low spots. The difference between the high and the low is called radial runout. Radial runout changes the radius of the rotating assembly, causing it to raise and lower the vehicle as it rolls along. That gives the perception that the tire is ``hopping'' or ``bouncing'' down the road and ends up delivering a rough ride to the driver and irregular wear to the tread.

Radial force variation is similar to radial runout and is a result of a heavy or thicker area being manufactured into the tire due to variations in component thickness, placement and overlapping. Radial force variation applies more force against the road at the tire's thicker spot as the tire runs, which causes one sidewall to flex differently than the other. The result is tire/wheel assembly vibration and irregular tread wear.

To avoid or minimize these problems, whenever you see a red spot, match this up with the valve stem-unless you happen to have a steel wheel that has a dimple on the exterior side of the rim area. The dimple indicates the wheels' low spot and is spec'ed by some original equipment manufacturers so that they can match mount tires and wheels installed on new vehicles at the factory.

If you see both a red as well as a yellow dot on the tire, the red dot takes priority. An easy way to remember this is the phrase ``Red Rules.'' Ignore the yellow dot and match the red dot to the wheel low point dimple as some vehicle manufacturers do or, if no dimple is marked on the wheel, align the red dot with the valve stem."
Old 05-18-2017, 10:17 PM   #15

What temp are they running? Mine run around 88. degrees. Outside temp was 87.
KAISOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 11:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAISOR View Post
What temp are they running? Mine run around 88. degrees. Outside temp was 87.
It can get complicated. Just how far do you want to take it.

Thermal Equilibrium will have the best answer for tires in motion.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...p_DHwQ9QEIKjAA
Old 05-19-2017, 05:27 AM   #17
Retired

I would assume if one is concerned about temps and tire expansion they would be using nitrogen and not compress air...just a thought.
Happy Trailsj
Old 05-19-2017, 08:56 AM   #18

Quote:
I would assume if one is concerned about temps and tire expansion they would be using nitrogen and not compress air...just a thought.
Happy Trailsj
Compressed air is easy to obtain. Pumping the nitrogen out of it is another mater all together. Costly and hardly ever available when you need it.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #19

Why would you pump the nitrogen out?

2017 Heritage Glen 368RLHBK Limited
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew, 6.7 Cummins
m35a2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by m35a2 View Post
Why would you pump the nitrogen out?
"Pumping" Nitrogen was a widely used term used in Naval Aviation when describing the action of obtaining nearly 100% nitrogen from air. The reference below describes a method used in industry today.

http://www.nitrogen-generators.com/n...-how-it-works/

Tags
tire, tires