Old 02-05-2008, 05:11 AM   #31

The side with only one tire is over loaded, that's why Forest River suggest not to tow with only one tire on one side. I was just using max weight load of the camper to the actual load rating of each tire. What has prompted me to call Forest River about the tires is that wile, I was waiting for an Axle to come in for my camper from the dealer, I noticed that the tire was almost flat, this was on the right rear the right front had already been removed because of bearing failure. I wasnt sure if I could replace the axle on my Owen, the bearing tor up the axle, that's why it had to be replaced. I checked the tire pressure, and it was at 55 psi that's what it called for, so I had to change out the axle on my Owen. I would have had to tow my camper over 20 miles to the dealer on three tires for repairs...... just to risky. This is why I am going to change out my tires so that one tire can handle the load on one side.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:03 AM   #32

I didn't mean to imply that I was questioning your theory. I just wondered if there was something I was missing. My Sandpiper is 7,000 # dry, and I'm running load range D tires. I'm gonna call my tire guy today and ask his advice on upgrading to heavier tires. Although with 15" wheels I may be limited. I haven't checked but I may have enough clearance to go to 16" wheels, which would improve my choices of tires. I don't like the idea of being stranded alongside the highway with a bad axle.

Reese Strait-Line
Prodigy
DW
DD (Darling Dachshund)
jmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #33

No, I didn't take it that way, everything is cool. On my camper I have load range "C" I think the weight rating on the tires is 1485. I do have the actual rating on another post. The max weight rating on my camper is 7010 lbs. I am going to change to a "D' or "E" rated, most likely "D"..... Wade
Old 02-06-2008, 09:47 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
The side with only one tire is over loaded, that's why Forest River suggest not to tow with only one tire on one side. I was just using max weight load of the camper to the actual load rating of each tire. What has prompted me to call Forest River about the tires is that wile, I was waiting for an Axle to come in for my camper from the dealer, I noticed that the tire was almost flat, this was on the right rear the right front had already been removed because of bearing failure. I wasnt sure if I could replace the axle on my Owen, the bearing tor up the axle, that's why it had to be replaced. I checked the tire pressure, and it was at 55 psi that's what it called for, so I had to change out the axle on my Owen. I would have had to tow my camper over 20 miles to the dealer on three tires for repairs...... just to risky. This is why I am going to change out my tires so that one tire can handle the load on one side.
PLEASE let us all know "if" and when you find a tire that will carry the load by itself. I don't think you will find a tire rated, in 15", for 3500 +- pounds that would carry the load if one blows.
Best bet would be to get Road Side Assistance or travel with a good spare to avoid towing on just one tire. If I knew that a 16" tire and wheel would clear my TT I would go with that, even then one tire on a side may be marginal.

JMHO...........

Paul B
2004 Twin 2000i Hondas'
Paul B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:07 AM   #35

Yes, I will let the Forum know, I am still checking into this. There is a small tire company 2 miles from my house that I have been dealing with for over 25 years, they handle primarily Cooper tires but they can get other brands as well. Cooper tires have a road hazard warranty on passenger cars and light duty truck, but not on trailer tires. I am going to try to make some phone calls today, and I will post as soon as I can with more info.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:03 PM   #36

I have contacted two tire companys, and requested a list that shows tire sizes, load ratings. I do know that for an example a load rated "E" is a 235R/15 has a max load rating of 10,000 lbs and it is 2" taller then 205R/15 and they are a 10 ply tire. This maybe more then some would need, but in my case it would work for me, with a max load of 7910 lbs on my camper. The only other issue is how much flexablity for clearance when the suspension is in motion. When the list becomes avalible, I will post it.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:34 AM   #37

I am sorry for the delay, I now have the tire list.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:03 AM   #38

the document is too large @ 93 kb's, I need to down size.....
Old 02-14-2008, 07:34 AM   #39

can you copy and paste it into your post?

just quote the source and

Quote:
to make it look like this
just put [quote = ] before it (no spaces) and [/quote] after it.......... the word "quote" must be IN ALL CAPS
Old 02-18-2008, 06:24 AM   #40

The problem is that it was scanned and then sent to my E-Mail, I had it rescanned and down sized it at that point, Iam going to try again. Thanks for the input....Wade.

Tags
rockwood