Old 09-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #1

carlisle tires

HI All i am fairly new to this forums but have read many post on here about carlisle tires and how you should have them balanced. Well i did that and found them to all be out of round and so far off balance that the tire guy i went to said he would threw them in the dumpster if he was me.They were 7.50oz off on the one side and 3.50 on the other (well these number came off the balance machine if you know how to read it ) 7.50oz is extremely off, any way i went home and called carlisle tire and told them how bad the tires where and they are sending me four new ones so thanks for being on top of thing for everyone and sharing info like you guys do i have a 2008 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8296SS bought new in May i just wanted to share this with everyone Thanks Chevy02

Old 09-24-2007, 08:53 AM   #2

to FRF!

Glad you got your tire issue taken care of. I am a firm believer in having trailer tires balanced. By taking yours to get balanced you discovered what could have been a MAJOR problem on the road. Great!!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #3

Whenever I get my new set of whatever tire I get I will have them balanced.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy02 View Post
the tire guy i went to said he would threw them in the dumpster if he was me.
No doubt that was most excellent advice.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 01:28 AM   #5

Hi fellow campers Just wanted to update you guys my new tires arrived today but i have not had time to get them mounted but when i do i will repost the results thanks guys Chevy02
Old 09-25-2007, 06:18 AM   #6

Hello every one, This is my first time here. I have viewed a lot of posting that I can relate too. I am a sad owener of a rockwood 8314SS 2006 model.I would like to respond about tires. I have two carlisle tires on the back axial and two ultra cart on the front axial, this is from the factory. The tire size are ST 205 75 R15 C, max weight limit @ 50 P.S.I is 1820 LBS X 4 = 7280 max load. My camper at max [ GVWR ] is 7910. I spoke to my machanic about the problem, he suggested COOPER TIRES. ST 225 R15 D they are an 8 PLY instead of 6 ply. the weight rating is also increased with 8PLY. the higher the last letter the higher the weight limit . Most camper are not weighed they are approx, how ever I heard that the approx weights has been off as much as 1800 LBS. The ST 225 R15 D tire are about an 1 to 2 inchs taller then the ST 205 R15 C the cost for the ST 225 R15 D is about $150.00 each. I will be changing my tires to the ST 225 R15 D after I install a new front axial due to a wheel bearing failure on an AL-KO axial. I hope this info helps others. til next time, have a nice day.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:46 AM   #7
RAC

These are the coopers..they are 75R:

Custom Trailer Plus ST225/75R15 113 S 0 D rim size: 6 - 7 Measured rim width 6 section width: 9.05 overall diameter 28.26 tread width 6.84 max load2540 tread depth 9.5
Old 09-25-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
RAC

I've been looking at this tire issue since we bought the trailer. i too am in the same boat with a GVWR of nearly 7700 lbs and a tire capacity of 7280. I have been looking at D rated tires and found the coopers to be seamingly the best. However, locally I cannot find them for less than 185.00 per tire. So, my conundrum is to wait until I blow up the current tires, or 1000 bucks miracles its way here. The biggest question I have is why would FR open itself up to an obvious lawsuit by putting tires on a trailer incapable of supporting the loaded trailer? Interesting, I think I will call and ask them. I may raise such a stink, they replace the tires.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Hello every one, This is my first time here. I have viewed a lot of posting that I can relate too. I am a sad owener of a rockwood 8314SS 2006 model.I would like to respond about tires. I have two carlisle tires on the back axial and two ultra cart on the front axial, this is from the factory. The tire size are ST 205 75 R15 C, max weight limit @ 50 P.S.I is 1820 LBS X 4 = 7280 max load. My camper at max [ GVWR ] is 7910. I spoke to my machanic about the problem, he suggested COOPER TIRES. ST 225 R15 D they are an 8 PLY instead of 6 ply. the weight rating is also increased with 8PLY. the higher the last letter the higher the weight limit . Most camper are not weighed they are approx, how ever I heard that the approx weights has been off as much as 1800 LBS. The ST 225 R15 D tire are about an 1 to 2 inchs taller then the ST 205 R15 C the cost for the ST 225 R15 D is about $150.00 each. I will be changing my tires to the ST 225 R15 D after I install a new front axial due to a wheel bearing failure on an AL-KO axial. I hope this info helps others. til next time, have a nice day.
Wheel bearings can fail on ANY type of axle.
The TT manuf. reasoning for such low weitht capacity is that some of the load is distributed to the hitch and front tow vehicle axle, thus allowing them to spec a lower grade tire for our TTs. Even though the Coopers are pricey they are far and above just about anything else out there. Don't forget that the extra inches are divided in half, i.e., half above the center axle and half below the center axle. So in theroy you may be OK with the room for the tire. Just make sure when you change tires you look on the rim(wheel) and see what the max tire air pressure is for your particular rims(wheels). I believe that Cooper tires can be aired up to 80 psi, you want to make sure your rims will support those pressures. The problem I am having deciding to use Cooper is the availability if the problem arises. Here where I live they have to order them special from somewhere up north.

Paul B
Old 09-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmyCWO View Post
I've been looking at this tire issue since we bought the trailer. i too am in the same boat with a GVWR of nearly 7700 lbs and a tire capacity of 7280. I have been looking at D rated tires and found the coopers to be seamingly the best. However, locally I cannot find them for less than 185.00 per tire. So, my conundrum is to wait until I blow up the current tires, or 1000 bucks miracles its way here. The biggest question I have is why would FR open itself up to an obvious lawsuit by putting tires on a trailer incapable of supporting the loaded trailer? Interesting, I think I will call and ask them. I may raise such a stink, they replace the tires.
That is interesting. My rig came with D rated tires and had about 300lbs to spare for GVWR. After my 1st blowout (metal in road) I replaced that tire with an E and purchased a second spare also an E. I run the 2 E tires one on each side along with the original Ds.

I don't think I would run with under rated tires. I'm paranoid about that. Blowouts can cause MAJOR damage. I've been lucky so far with my blowouts that they have not caused any major damage. This last one only the inside sidwall got destroyed, no tread seperation. Had the tread seperated I would have bee replacing the plumbing.

Call up FR and ask 'em. Raise a smell and let us know how it goes.

Tags
rockwood