Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #21

Brian, I wasn't being a "jerk", as you so kindly put it.
Have you ever seen what a tire does to a camper when it comes apart at 60 mph? Can you imagine what it would do at 80?
Educate yourself, then critisize.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #22
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjames View Post
you didn't have to be a jerk. i was just asking for advise. 18-inch truck tires are $200 and can safely go 100mph, so surely there are 14-inch trailer tires for much less. kind of hard to figure out trailer tires online.
To get what you are looking for you would need to go to 16" rims and commercial LT tires. There was a thread on here just about a week ago a guy posted that he had gone that route. I doubt 16" tires and rims will have proper clearance on a trailer that had 14's. And you are looking at 200+ per rim/tire.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Carlisle had problems in the early 2000s, but I haven't read much about them being bad lately. I put Carlisle's on my Trailmanor in 2007, and the present owners are still running them.

Yep, they didn't hesitate for a second when I called them about the blowouts. They told me to replace them with anything I wanted and send them the bill. They also had UPS pick the old ones. They were also going to fix any damage to the TT, thankfully there wasn't any. Still didn't make up for a lousy day changing the tires and having to leave the TT on the side of the interstate 180 miles away though. Great service, crappy tires (back then).
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

This is the only speed rated (99 mph) 14" tire that I have ever found; and it is D rated for capacity.

Kumho Radial 857

It is an 80 aspect ratio so you might need to go to a smaller cross section to get the same tire circumference as you currently have. For example, my current tire is 205/75/14, I would need to go to 195/80/14 to get the same circumference.

My Marathons have been great but I'm replacing them (age and miles) with the Kumho's because of the higher speed rating and higher load capacity.
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #25
Site Team

We have discussed these Euro-sized tires in another trailer forum. I am copying some posts I made there, from a few years back. You can find these Euro-sized 14" rim diameter tires in the Continental Vanco 8, Cooper SRM II/Mastercraft Courser R/D, Hankook RA08, and Kumho 857 brand names...just to name a few.

These commercial type Euro tires are kind of a cross between an ST and LT tire. They are used on commercial vans, trailers, etc, on a wider scale in Europe. They use smaller vehicles for a lot of things over there (ie delivery vans), and have narrower roads than the American market in places. These type tires are a lot harder to find in the United States as the vehicles they go on aren't in big supply here....thus a lot less demand. Since there isn't a huge demand here, you want to pay close attention to the manufacturing date when purchasing these tires. They may have been sitting in a warehouse for a long time.

I don't know if I ever explained the differences between sizing systems of the metric sized tires and the Euro-metric tires before. If I did, then please ignore all this boring stuff below:

OK, the Goodyear Marathons that come on our trailers are sized in what's called simply enough "metric" tire sizing. Tires can be "P" metric , "LT" metric, or "ST" metric (which the marathons are). The P, LT, or ST designate the type of tire use, but the numbers behind that designation mean the same.

Just using the 14 inch tires for example, our trailer tires are ST215/75R14.

This means this tire is a "Special Trailer" (ST) use tire. It is 215 millimeters wide when loaded at it's normal carrying capacity (this is the space between the bulging parts of the sidewall, and not the actual tread width), the sidewall is 75 percent as tall as the tire is wide when at it's normal carrying capacity. It's a Radial (R) constructed tire and it fits a 14 inch rim.

These ST tires can come in 4, 6, or more plies, which will be designated by a Load Range letter of B, C, or higher. This Load range letter won't be in the sizing, but somewhere else on the tire.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, now the tires that many of us are trying on our trailers are sized in what's called Euro-metric sizing or Euro tires as I call them. This sizing system is a little different.

Most everyone is trying an Euro-sized tire that is 195/R14C

The 195 means the tire is 195 millimeters wide.

Now note, that there isn't an aspect ratio number, which was 75 in our tire above. Euro-sized tires of this type don't put the number in their sizing. If they did, it would be an 82. This means our Euro tire is actually a 195/82R14C if we tried to make it come out to the same metric numbering system as our 215/75R14 tire above. Because this tire is 82 percent as tall as it is wide, it gives it more sidewall to stand up to the heavier loads.

It's a Radial (R) constructed tire and goes on a 14 inch rim.

Now to the C after the rim size. It's easy to confuse this for a Load Range letter, which it is not. In our Euro-sized tire, this C means it is a commercial rated tire used in heavy hauling applications. It would be similar to our "LT" or "ST" designation used above. It's just at the back of the size instead of the front

These Euro Tires will also have a Load Range designation letter located somewhere else on the tire. These tires will likely have a C, D, or higher. Most everyone is using a D (8 ply) rated tire.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Now that we know the difference in the tire sizing used for the tires, we can also understand why our metric ST215/75R14 is practically the same height as the Euro-metric 195/{82}R14C tire..........and works easily as a replacement. 75 percent of 215... is close to 82 percent of 195.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #26

Now if I read the origional post correctly the question was for 225 75 r15 I found a guy on ebay who sells 10 ply load range E for 194.00 a pair delivered in lower 48 I tried these on my car hauler first and liked so I upgraded camper now they are off shore made but in trailer tires choices are more limited I prefer american made whenever possible. The extra plys seem to help with bounce which is a big cause of the seperations which are the usual killer of my trailer tires, oh yea its called Tuckertire out of Tennesse, Hope that helps a little.
mr.hiler is offline   Reply With Quote