Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2018, 07:49 PM   #41

Castle Rock Tires
Not a matter of if they will blow it's just a matter of when. I just replaced the ones on my tt 2k miles plus some change. I don't care what anyone says or how many remarks are made - get um off asap or even sooner if you can. Photo shows the sidewall belt sticking through the side of the tire and the other shows how the tread is screwed up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180625_081059.jpeg
Views:	101
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	178407Click image for larger version

Name:	20180625_081110.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	178408
Old 07-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #42

I have MAXXIS tires on my 8000 lb Holiday Rambler, and put 27,000 miles on them in one trip. No issues, and still had great tread left when I got home. (9 months later)
flintlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #43

Castle Rock tires aren't great but the bigger issue is to make sure the weight rating is adequate. I had D rated castle rocks on a 7900 lb trailer which maxed out the tires (which I learned after blowing one on the highway).
jeffandrews55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:46 PM   #44

Swapped out only because

I swapped out my Castle Rocks because I was close to the top of the c rated tires (500lbs under) and I have tandem tires which flexed quite a bit under turning conditions so I went to a D load. With that said I had no real problems with them even after over 4000 miles. The main thing to do is stay on top of them I check tire pressure every time before I move the trailer and keep them clean looking them over when doing it. I also drove 60 to 67 mph on the highway. My tires were two years old (by manufacture date) when I changed them. I see no reason to change them if you are checking them and not overloaded.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by joindy View Post
When you check your tire pressure you must lose a little air during the process. Does anyone have any idea how much. If you are on 2 week trip and check once a day...that would be 14 times and must lose some air. If you have nitrogen filled tires, it would be hard to find it to top off. Maybe it is only a fraction of a pound.
Put a tpms system on my tt no longer have to check pressure unless indicated on tpms.
rmanduch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberrick1 View Post
I'm new to RVing with a travel trailer and I've seem some posts that the Castle Rock tires don't do well. I have a GeoPro G19FD and love the trailer. We have pulled it about 600 miles so far with no tire issues.

I'm just wondering if I should replace them before something happens in the middle of nowhere?

I have a 21' Minilite. I bought new in August of last year. Have goine on about eight trips and I have the Castlerock. I concur with the previous quote. As long as you keep your tire pressure proper and drive properly you should be good to go. I also check my tires every time I stop for gas.
NCScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #47

I wouldn't say I'm an "unnecessary scare monger" since I've actually had a real blowout this may on two- year- old CRs.

Religiously made sure cold air pressure was the recommended 50psi every morning. And never drove over 65mph. Trailer weighs 6500lbs dry.

My tpms gave no advance warning. If I hadn't been going only about 50mph, it could have been much worse.

Auto technician said he was surprised that such new tires were already separating. Replaced all four with $69 Trailer Kings and promptly drove 4600 miles to Yellowstone and back.

To be fair though, the CRs did have about 10k miles on them over two years. Still, the tire guy said it was more common for Trailer tires to dry rot than wear out.

Ultimately no one can say whether your ties are going to fail. Me, I can tell the Trailer Kings are better quality, even if they are probably also made in China like everything else. YMMV!
Old 07-05-2018, 11:42 PM   #48

I have a 2017 hemisphere 276rlis that I bought last May I was lucky enough my castle rock tire did not blow out however the tread started to Shred and chunks are missing.
The date code is 2516 which means it was built the 25 week of 2016 which makes it 2years old. Tires should not blow or shred after owning them for 1 year even if they are a couple years old. I’m replacing all my tires with Carlise radial trail hd. You SHOULD change yours also
Danny bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:06 AM   #49

[QUOTE=Danny bob;1861480]I’m replacing all my tires with Carlise radial trail hd. /QUOTE]

That's what i put on a week ago. My tire shop recommends them. I went with class D for my 5200lb trailer.
aguyandhiscomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:07 AM   #50

I forget to mention my tire shop said Rockwood didn't use high pressure valve stems in the Castle Rocks.
aguyandhiscomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:08 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teetime View Post
Nitrogen is dry and has larger molecules than normal air we breath. Those larger molecules supposedly make any leaks slower and the tire pressure more reliable.

weird science
Wicked Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:59 AM   #52

Forest River not using High Pressure Valves

I that why my 14 inch Lynx wheels on my E Pro are only rated 50 psi. It it the valve stem and not the wheel itself? I had planned to replace the wheels and tiress, but maybe I can keep the wheels and just get tires?

Lots of comments on the Castlerocks, but what about the standard wheels on the E Pro and Geo Pro?
joindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:36 AM   #53

Castle Rock Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
Keep the air at maximum cold pressure. (before use) Don't drive like a maniac and keep reasonable speed. I recommend 65-67 and you should get good service from these tires. A lot of unnecessary scare mongers here about "China Bombs".
Some real and some not so real.

Worry less, Slow down and enjoy more. I have been doing this for 50 years and have seen blowouts on every brand of tire there is. Most of these problems are self induced. i.e. Overloaded, too much speed and low tire pressure. Take care of your tires and they will take care of you.

You only hear about the bad things that happen here and that is a small percentage of the overall people towing trailers. Like Dad said, a"a little common sense goes a long way".

Jack
I also have Geo pro 19fbs and have almost 2000 miles with no problems.Pay attention to pressure ,I really don't want to buy new tires to replace new tires.....I will eventually get the new Goodyear Endurance tires.Enjoy your new Geo Pro. We sure do.
jimboz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:56 AM   #54

I also think one of the most important things to be aware of is Dry Rot. Anyone who does not have indoor storage and parks there RV outside will be a victim of Dry Rot. When your RV sits in one spot for long periods of time the side that gets the most sun will get Dry Rot. Ultra Violet rays and heat will destroy any tires after a matter of time. Low pressure in your tires and high speed will also cause excessive heat. Now we have tread separation and thus tire failure. Does not matter the brand.

If you must park outside for long periods at least keep the tires covered. Tire covers can be bought at any RV supply for a reasonable cost. This will prevent some heat and most UV rays from Dry Rotting your tires regardless of brand.

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #55

I also have a geo pro 19fbs and have thought the same thing.I have 2000 miles with no problems yet.I will eventually get new (better brand) tired when we make a trip from Florida to Maine...for peace of mind. I try not to worry @ tires and just checked the pressure often.Happy Camping and enjoy the Geo we sure do ...almost a year and no problems☺
jimboz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:15 AM   #56

Lionshead Lynx wheels handling 65psi

My previous post indicated my Lynx wheels which came on 19 FD E Pro were rated at 50psi. I have researched the e-trailer web site which seems to have good information on wheels. I think they are indicating that the PSI specs on wheels is related to the valve stem and not the stand alone wheel. In other words the wheel can handle 2040 lbs weight and at 65 psi if equipped with the right valve stem. So I think I can keep the OEM wheels and put on new valve stems and tires to handle the D rating and 65 psi tires. Correct??
joindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:48 AM   #57
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by joindy View Post
My previous post indicated my Lynx wheels which came on 19 FD E Pro were rated at 50psi. I have researched the e-trailer web site which seems to have good information on wheels. I think they are indicating that the PSI specs on wheels is related to the valve stem and not the stand alone wheel. In other words the wheel can handle 2040 lbs weight and at 65 psi if equipped with the right valve stem. So I think I can keep the OEM wheels and put on new valve stems and tires to handle the D rating and 65 psi tires. Correct??
If you look on the inside of the wheel (ie.- crawl under the trailer or remove the wheel) you will find the max PSI stamped into the wheel!

That number has nothing to do with the valve stem...

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:29 PM   #58

get ride of then asap
bhirmiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
Does anyone else see Castle Rock and immediately think Stephen King?

I was wondering if I was the only who thought this.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires