Old 06-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #1

Castle Rock Tires

I'm new to RVing with a travel trailer and I've seem some posts that the Castle Rock tires don't do well. I have a GeoPro G19FD and love the trailer. We have pulled it about 600 miles so far with no tire issues.

I'm just wondering if I should replace them before something happens in the middle of nowhere?

cyberrick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #2

How old are they? By the manufacture date, not your RV date.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberrick1 View Post
I'm new to RVing with a travel trailer and I've seem some posts that the Castle Rock tires don't do well. I have a GeoPro G19FD and love the trailer. We have pulled it about 600 miles so far with no tire issues.

I'm just wondering if I should replace them before something happens in the middle of nowhere?
Keep the air at maximum cold pressure. (before use) Don't drive like a maniac and keep reasonable speed. I recommend 65-67 and you should get good service from these tires. A lot of unnecessary scare mongers here about "China Bombs".
Some real and some not so real.

Worry less, Slow down and enjoy more. I have been doing this for 50 years and have seen blowouts on every brand of tire there is. Most of these problems are self induced. i.e. Overloaded, too much speed and low tire pressure. Take care of your tires and they will take care of you.

You only hear about the bad things that happen here and that is a small percentage of the overall people towing trailers. Like Dad said, a"a little common sense goes a long way".

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #4

Replaced my Castle Rocks right after I bought my trailer and replaced them with Maxxis. I sold the almost new Castle Rocks for $30 each.

Sorry, but I have had many Chinese tires fail on my boat trailers and I didn't want a blow out on my travel trailer where a lot of damage can occur to the under belly.

You will find people on both sides on whether the Chinese tires are good or not. For the small amount of money to replace the tires with a proven quality tire like Maxxis, to me it was a no brainer.

I decided against the Endurance tires because they are so new. Maxxis have been around for a long time and I have used them on my boat trailer with no issues at all.

I never drive faster than 60 with any of my trailers. Not worth the risk.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Replaced my Castle Rocks right after I bought my trailer and replaced them with Maxxis. I sold the almost new Castle Rocks for $30 each.

Sorry, but I have had many Chinese tires fail on my boat trailers and I didn't want a blow out on my travel trailer where a lot of damage can occur to the under belly.

You will find people on both sides on whether the Chinese tires are good or not. For the small amount of money to replace the tires with a proven quality tire like Maxxis, to me it was a no brainer.

I decided against the Endurance tires because they are so new. Maxxis have been around for a long time and I have used them on my boat trailer with no issues at all.

I never drive faster than 60 with any of my trailers. Not worth the risk.

Same thing I did. Replaced the Castle Rocks with Maxxis 8008 and sold the Castle Rocks on Craigslist.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #6

My view, if the load capacity of your tires is 20% or more above your trailers GVWR, the tires will probably treat you well. If your tires are closer to or below 10% over the GVWR, I would be looking to change to a tires with more capacity.

From what I have read, a big factor in trailer tire failure is inter ply shear. Inter ply shear occurs when the tire is exposed to twisting stress. All turning puts twisting stress on the tires and the tighter the turn the higher the stress. Trailer tires are especially susceptible to this damage because of how close the trailer axles are to each other. Tires with higher weight rating margins seem to resist this stress better.

Something to think about, if your trailer is unbalanced side to side, even if your total weights are okay, your weight margin on a single tire or tires on one side, may be at or below the 10% level. Making you more susceptible to problems. It is really best to get your rig weighed with individual wheel weights. This is generally not available at a CAT scale.

From the posts I've read. It seems that people who have had problems with "China Bombs" have replaced their tires with "better" manufacturers AND installed tires with higher weight ratings.
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2018 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #7

So my tires are rated at 1760lbs. per tire. I'm assuming that means together they can support up to 3,520. My GeoPro G19FD has a Dry Weight of 2829lbs so loaded around 3000lbs I guess, maybe more. So I am pretty close to the max.
cyberrick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #8

I should have checked your trailer. BECAUSE you have a single axle trailer, you have less of an issue. Multi-axle trailers force the tires to twist against each other during a turn, you don't have that issue.

I don't have enough information to have an opinion on how much margin is really needed on a single axle trailer. Maybe WMTIRE or others will make a suggestion. I do recommend you look up and read WMTIRE;s blog. Lots of good info.
Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2018 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew
SailorSam20500 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #9

China Bombs is probably too vague.

Maxxis are made by Cheng Shin Rubber Co. Some China tires are good, mine are. Some are not.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
China Bombs is probably too vague.

Maxxis are made by Cheng Shin Rubber Co. Some China tires are good, mine are. Some are not.
Maxxis trailer tires are made in Thailand.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires