Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #1

Castle Rock Tires

I'm new to RVing with a travel trailer and I've seem some posts that the Castle Rock tires don't do well. I have a GeoPro G19FD and love the trailer. We have pulled it about 600 miles so far with no tire issues.

I'm just wondering if I should replace them before something happens in the middle of nowhere?
cyberrick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #2

How old are they? By the manufacture date, not your RV date.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberrick1 View Post
I'm new to RVing with a travel trailer and I've seem some posts that the Castle Rock tires don't do well. I have a GeoPro G19FD and love the trailer. We have pulled it about 600 miles so far with no tire issues.

I'm just wondering if I should replace them before something happens in the middle of nowhere?
Keep the air at maximum cold pressure. (before use) Don't drive like a maniac and keep reasonable speed. I recommend 65-67 and you should get good service from these tires. A lot of unnecessary scare mongers here about "China Bombs".
Some real and some not so real.

Worry less, Slow down and enjoy more. I have been doing this for 50 years and have seen blowouts on every brand of tire there is. Most of these problems are self induced. i.e. Overloaded, too much speed and low tire pressure. Take care of your tires and they will take care of you.

You only hear about the bad things that happen here and that is a small percentage of the overall people towing trailers. Like Dad said, a"a little common sense goes a long way".

Jack
jaherbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:46 AM   #4

Replaced my Castle Rocks right after I bought my trailer and replaced them with Maxxis. I sold the almost new Castle Rocks for $30 each.

Sorry, but I have had many Chinese tires fail on my boat trailers and I didn't want a blow out on my travel trailer where a lot of damage can occur to the under belly.

You will find people on both sides on whether the Chinese tires are good or not. For the small amount of money to replace the tires with a proven quality tire like Maxxis, to me it was a no brainer.

I decided against the Endurance tires because they are so new. Maxxis have been around for a long time and I have used them on my boat trailer with no issues at all.

I never drive faster than 60 with any of my trailers. Not worth the risk.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Replaced my Castle Rocks right after I bought my trailer and replaced them with Maxxis. I sold the almost new Castle Rocks for $30 each.

Sorry, but I have had many Chinese tires fail on my boat trailers and I didn't want a blow out on my travel trailer where a lot of damage can occur to the under belly.

You will find people on both sides on whether the Chinese tires are good or not. For the small amount of money to replace the tires with a proven quality tire like Maxxis, to me it was a no brainer.

I decided against the Endurance tires because they are so new. Maxxis have been around for a long time and I have used them on my boat trailer with no issues at all.

I never drive faster than 60 with any of my trailers. Not worth the risk.

Same thing I did. Replaced the Castle Rocks with Maxxis 8008 and sold the Castle Rocks on Craigslist.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #6

My view, if the load capacity of your tires is 20% or more above your trailers GVWR, the tires will probably treat you well. If your tires are closer to or below 10% over the GVWR, I would be looking to change to a tires with more capacity.

From what I have read, a big factor in trailer tire failure is inter ply shear. Inter ply shear occurs when the tire is exposed to twisting stress. All turning puts twisting stress on the tires and the tighter the turn the higher the stress. Trailer tires are especially susceptible to this damage because of how close the trailer axles are to each other. Tires with higher weight rating margins seem to resist this stress better.

Something to think about, if your trailer is unbalanced side to side, even if your total weights are okay, your weight margin on a single tire or tires on one side, may be at or below the 10% level. Making you more susceptible to problems. It is really best to get your rig weighed with individual wheel weights. This is generally not available at a CAT scale.

From the posts I've read. It seems that people who have had problems with "China Bombs" have replaced their tires with "better" manufacturers AND installed tires with higher weight ratings.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #7

So my tires are rated at 1760lbs. per tire. I'm assuming that means together they can support up to 3,520. My GeoPro G19FD has a Dry Weight of 2829lbs so loaded around 3000lbs I guess, maybe more. So I am pretty close to the max.
cyberrick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #8

I should have checked your trailer. BECAUSE you have a single axle trailer, you have less of an issue. Multi-axle trailers force the tires to twist against each other during a turn, you don't have that issue.

I don't have enough information to have an opinion on how much margin is really needed on a single axle trailer. Maybe WMTIRE or others will make a suggestion. I do recommend you look up and read WMTIRE;s blog. Lots of good info.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #9

China Bombs is probably too vague.

Maxxis are made by Cheng Shin Rubber Co. Some China tires are good, mine are. Some are not.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
China Bombs is probably too vague.

Maxxis are made by Cheng Shin Rubber Co. Some China tires are good, mine are. Some are not.
Maxxis trailer tires are made in Thailand.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:37 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I started the original Castle Rock thread here in 2015.

We were able to milk about 18 months and approximately 8000 miles on them before they started to separate. I've seen others suggest the same.

You will notice the tread is concave and they are built this way. (not saying good or bad, just saying)

Keep them aired to the max PSI on the sidewall and you'll get some use out of them but they will fail.

Replaced ours with Goodyear Endurance. No further issues to date.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:59 PM   #12

Does anyone else see Castle Rock and immediately think Stephen King?
Old 06-21-2018, 06:17 AM   #13

No matter what brand of tire you buy they are most likely made somewhere in Asia.

"Other companies that supply ST trailer tires are Goodyear, Titan International Inc., Maxxis International Inc., Carlisle Tire & Wheel Co. and American Kenda Rubber Industries Co. Ltd. Of those firms, Goodyear and Maxxis both said they manufacture their trailer tires in Asia, but neither would say at which plants."

http://www.rubbernews.com/article/20...-trailer-tires

Camping: Where you spend a small fortune to live like a homeless person.
Fundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 06:29 AM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundy View Post
No matter what brand of tire you buy they are most likely made somewhere in Asia.

"Other companies that supply ST trailer tires are Goodyear, Titan International Inc., Maxxis International Inc., Carlisle Tire & Wheel Co. and American Kenda Rubber Industries Co. Ltd. Of those firms, Goodyear and Maxxis both said they manufacture their trailer tires in Asia, but neither would say at which plants."

'Made in USA' not the norm for trailer tires | Rubber and Plastics News
GY Endurance tires are made in the US of A!
Old 06-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberrick1 View Post
So my tires are rated at 1760lbs. per tire. I'm assuming that means together they can support up to 3,520. My GeoPro G19FD has a Dry Weight of 2829lbs so loaded around 3000lbs I guess, maybe more. So I am pretty close to the max.

My Geo Pro 17PR said dry weight of 3161 but when it arrived the weight on the tag was 3900 and didn’t have water or anything in it. You have to remember dry weight is without batteries or propane and the Geo’s have 2 of each. I have been told the tongue weight has to come off the total weight of the load so I figure 3900 minus around 600 tongue puts me back at 3300 still without water or gear. They built them to be right on the border of the weight. That’s why it’s said on here to check when fully loaded.
My Castle Rock were manufactured 46/17 so they are pretty new and I plan on using them for a while on the short trips but will keep a close eye on pressure and temp and change before my long trip in August.
I only have 1 axle and if I lose 1 tire...ouch.
Flightmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightmike View Post
My Geo Pro 17PR said dry weight of 3161 but when it arrived the weight on the tag was 3900 and didn’t have water or anything in it. You have to remember dry weight is without batteries or propane and the Geo’s have 2 of each. I have been told the tongue weight has to come off the total weight of the load so I figure 3900 minus around 600 tongue puts me back at 3300 still without water or gear. They built them to be right on the border of the weight. That’s why it’s said on here to check when fully loaded.
My Castle Rock were manufactured 46/17 so they are pretty new and I plan on using them for a while on the short trips but will keep a close eye on pressure and temp and change before my long trip in August.
I only have 1 axle and if I lose 1 tire...ouch.
Slight correction - from FR site:
UVW (Unloaded Vehicle Weight)* (aka dry weight)

The typical weight of the unit as manufactured at the factory. It includes all weight at the unit’s axle(s), including full fuel, all fluids and LP Gas. The UVW does not include cargo, fresh potable water, additional optional equipment or dealer installed accessories.

*Estimated Average based on standard build optional equipment.
RV Glossary by Forest River RV

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:47 PM   #17

By 2018 geo pro 19FD came with 2945 on tag and written on tongue, looks like they scaled it when set it up.
ProAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
Keep the air at maximum cold pressure. (before use) Don't drive like a maniac and keep reasonable speed. I recommend 65-67 and you should get good service from these tires. A lot of unnecessary scare mongers here about "China Bombs".
Some real and some not so real.

Worry less, Slow down and enjoy more. I have been doing this for 50 years and have seen blowouts on every brand of tire there is. Most of these problems are self induced. i.e. Overloaded, too much speed and low tire pressure. Take care of your tires and they will take care of you.

You only hear about the bad things that happen here and that is a small percentage of the overall people towing trailers. Like Dad said, a"a little common sense goes a long way".

Jack
Ditto!
Freedom1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:48 PM   #19

I own a 2014 rockwood. Noticed side walls cracking on all four tires at the end of the season in 2016. Purchased replacements in the spring of 2017 and when I went to take the tires off after putting air in them they were leaking air out the side walls.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7863.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	176997Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7862.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	451.6 KB
ID:	176998

Bought replacement Carlisle tires

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8137.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	461.4 KB
ID:	176999
Alberta8311ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk510 View Post
Does anyone else see Castle Rock and immediately think Stephen King?
X2
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires