Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2018, 03:20 PM   #1

Changing tires

Ok so we bought a 2018 Rockwood 2304KS and we really have enjoyed it.
We have only taken it out 4 times since we bought it in April.
I really want to change the tires on the TT from the Chinese garbage tires to something more reliable before spending much time on the road.

So my question is....do you take the trailer to a tire dealer and let them remove and replace the wheels and tires.... or....do you remove the wheels a couple at a time and take them to the tire dealer for tire replacement.

How do you all handle this?

Jim
jmnsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #2
Scoundrel

I jacked up the trailer myself and brought the wheels to the tire dealer for new skins. Maybe there are tire dealers where you are that know how to raise a trailer, but I didn't trust that to happen around here.

Good luck

And welcome to the forums!

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:59 PM   #3

What do you have available to do this?

If your camper has auto-leveling, I have picked up my Vengeance and left it hanging in the air for a day or two. Some don't recommend it but I did it.

Do you have a floor jack and four jack stands?

If you just have the minimal tools available, I'd do like you said and just lift one side, take the wheels to a dealer, and then afterwards, do the other side.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #4

I let the tire dealer do it.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:15 PM   #5

changing tires

Went to T&S Tire and wheel in North Fort Myers. They installed 4 new Goodyear endurance tires in 45 minutes for $80 less than Camping World. Camping world promised if I had the trailer at their garage at 8:00 am they would guarantee to have me out by 5pm. Not a hard decision. BTW my GY Endurance run cooler than the Chinese tires that where bulging at 12 miles. I feel much better traveling with my new tires.
2016 Crusader 295RST (5th wheel)

Camped 80 days in 2016, 42 in 2017, 42 so far in 2018
Ontario Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
I jacked up the trailer myself and brought the wheels to the tire dealer for new skins. Maybe there are tire dealers where you are that know how to raise a trailer, but I didn't trust that to happen around here.

Good luck

And welcome to the forums!
That is the way I am leaning at the moment...The hometown dealer where the trailer was purchased does not have the capability to replace tires and I don't know if I trust the local tire shops to lift the trailer with the care that I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFX450RXC View Post
What do you have available to do this?

If your camper has auto-leveling, I have picked up my Vengeance and left it hanging in the air for a day or two. Some don't recommend it but I did it.

Do you have a floor jack and four jack stands?

If you just have the minimal tools available, I'd do like you said and just lift one side, take the wheels to a dealer, and then afterwards, do the other side.
I have all the tools I should need floor jack, bottle jack, jack stands. I figure one side at a time....probably take all day, but be less stressful
Old 06-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #7

Thanks for your input and for the welcome
Jim

Tags
tire, tires