Old 04-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #21

Lvn2tvl, just be vigilant and watch your tire temps also. I am going to call Goodyear tomorrow to confirm that I can run a lower pressure because the tire is not loaded to the maximum. From the Goodyear chart it looks like that is the case, but do check with Maxxis or Carlisle before you change air pressures. Let us know what your results are and I will do the same.

D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #22

Load Range tire change

Ok so my true results will be sometime in June but in order for you to accurately determine affects of lower pressure you'll need internal tire sensors. I will have external sensors mounted on steel valve stems of my tires. While external ones will give a general reference, with steel valve stems, for temperature monitoring it won't be true temp inside the tire. I assume you'll be monitoring pressure mainly and when/if it goes above high set limit you will also be able to see tire temp increase. Basically I think you're going to have to monitor both for accurate results and I'm hoping you have TST 507 external cap sensors as well.

I'm very interested in your test results and the process you followed. In order for this to mean something we need to do it exactly the same way.

16 Silverado 3500 HD 6.6 Duramax 4X4
(Still looking for newer FR 5er)
Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Hitch, TST tire monitors
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:32 PM   #23

What? And risk being scientific? No way!

Okay, I pulled the Windjammer about 8,000 miles last year after changing tires and have a pretty good feel for the temperatures they should run. It just seems to ride rougher since the change and I would like to see if running at 55 PSI vs 65 PSI makes any difference. Per the Goodyear chart 55 PSI looks to be plenty of pressure for less than 2,000# per tire.
This weekend trip isn't long enough to gather any significant data, but I am going to carry an infrared thermometer to check actual rim/tire temps vs. the TST 507 reading. I'll let you know about that also.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:36 PM   #24

Yes Maxxis tires have a similar chart as Goodyear.
Trailer Tire Load/Inflation Chart | Maxxis Tires USA

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2016: 19 nights
Miles traveled in 2016: 2,575
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post
Alright finally a confirmed answer to harder ride beyond what I had before so my previous post has been answered. It appears that the key is to adjust tire pressure to actual trailer weight. This means to add scaling to checklist before departing so correct tire pressure can be set.

Now I need to find the correct inflation charts for the tires I have and the ones I want to buy (Maxxis 8008 or Carlisle both LDE, 10 ply tires). I'm pretty sure and really assuming there are specific charts for each tire. I hope this isn't opening a can of worms.
The correct tire pressure for your trailer tires is on the tire placard. If you have changed tire size the correct tire pressure is what it takes to equal the load capacity the original tires provided.
Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 06:42 AM   #26

Thanks I'll check that out. I was only using the trailer GVWR number /4 to get my individual max tire weight. I'm wondering now if I've been doing it wrong.

Bob & Cindy
Old 04-12-2016, 04:08 PM   #27

Load range D to load range E

I checked my current tires and they are ST225/75R15 LRD with a max load of 2540lbs@ 65 psi. The total max weight is 10,160 lbs. and my 5er GVWR is 11430 lbs. Hum?? The tire max is 1,270 lbs less than the trailer GVWR. Not sure if this makes sense but that's what I currently have on the trailer.

After a lot of research I have discovered the Maxxis LT's aren't available so I finally decided to switch to LT's. The conversion will make the replacement tires LT225/75R16 LRE with a max load of 2680 lbs @ 80 psi. The total max weight is 10,720 which is 710 lbs. less than the trailer GVWR.

It appears I can easily exceed my existing tire max load and actually get closer to the trailer 11,430 lbs. GVWR. I realize I have slightly diverged this thread but think this same information should be considered when changing from trailer manufacturer recommendations.

Bob & Cindy
Old 04-12-2016, 05:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvn2tvl View Post
I checked my current tires and they are ST225/75R15 LRD with a max load of 2540lbs@ 65 psi. The total max weight is 10,160 lbs. and my 5er GVWR is 11430 lbs. Hum?? The tire max is 1,270 lbs less than the trailer GVWR. Not sure if this makes sense but that's what I currently have on the trailer.
Remember that not all of your total weight is on the tires. A hefty portion (I'm guessing maybe 2000 lb for a 5er with that GVWR) will be on the king-pin/truck, so you can take that off the trailer load.

I've just ordered some Maxxis LR-D tires (to replace my LR-C), so will be interested to see the results of the testing for running at lower pressure. In theory, based on the chart posted, I could run at 50-55 PSI based on actual load, which might be a better ride (I'm switching to LR-D because I'm close to the limit for the supplied LR-C tires, and I don't trust them)
Old 04-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #29

Ah, that's the other piece I'm missing. It makes sense now. Thanks

Bob & Cindy
Old 04-12-2016, 07:52 PM   #30

Don’t take this personal, it’s not meant to single anyone out.

Let me work on your logic. Tire inflation for your car, pick-up truck, SUV or other everyday vehicle provides a percentage of load capacity reserves. (Look on your tire placards and do the math).

Tire inflation for your RV trailer may or may not provide load capacity reserves above the GAWR (s). It depends on what your trailer manufacturer has deemed appropriate. However, both types of vehicles have their tires fitted from instructions in the same regulation. Those instructions coincide with tire industry standards for tire inflation in that they recognize the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended tire inflation pressures to be the correct pressures and all of the tire industry standards revolve around that premise.

In pops “inflate to the load carried”. Although that statement fit’s a regulation it is not a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) regulation. It’s from the trucking industry and IMO has no validity when servicing our RV trailer tires. Would you trust the tires on your everyday vehicles to be inflated using that method? Do you know that a one PSI loss in recommended tire inflation equals a 1.6% loss of load capacity?

Most RV trailer manufacturers have already short changed the inflation pressures with their minimum tire fitment standards. Don’t compound it by using the absolute lowest tire inflation pressures.

When you upgrade your tires with a load capacity increase you have done nothing but buy new tires unless you take advantage of the increased inflation pressures for the replacement tires. A LRD tire is a LRC tire when inflated to 50 PSI.

Airdale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires