Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #41

Well that was a pitiful buying experience !!
I ordered 5 of the Maxxis M8008 225/75R15 LRD tires from an Amazon seller (AutoPartsWay).

The tires were just delivered, and only 3 of them were actually the correct tire !

One of the tires received was a 205/75R15 Load Range C (wrong size and load range)
The other was a 225/75R15 Load Range E (wrong load range).

I've contacted the seller to inform them, but will likely have to wait a couple of days for a response, and then another couple of days to get anything done about it.

Just FYI, the tires that were correct have a datecode of 1815 (so manufactured last May, just under a year old)
Old 04-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefl View Post
Well that was a pitiful buying experience !!
I ordered 5 of the Maxxis M8008 225/75R15 LRD tires from an Amazon seller (AutoPartsWay).

The tires were just delivered, and only 3 of them were actually the correct tire !

One of the tires received was a 205/75R15 Load Range C (wrong size and load range)
The other was a 225/75R15 Load Range E (wrong load range).

I've contacted the seller to inform them, but will likely have to wait a couple of days for a response, and then another couple of days to get anything done about it.

Just FYI, the tires that were correct have a datecode of 1815 (so manufactured last May, just under a year old)
Some tire manufacturers warranties start at the date of purchase. Others start at the build date on the tire. Maxxis uses 5 years from build date.

Trailer Warranty | Maxxis Tires USA
Old 04-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #43

In addition to the information above we talked about improvements to the internal sensors. They were having issues with installers over tightening the stems and having leaks. The upgraded design has a strap that goes around the inside of the tire and the sensor is mounted to the strap. This mounting system is very similar to what Chevy and Ford are using. Although it cannot be seen on their site yet because of IT delays this is what they are switching to for less leaking issues. They will be sending me PDF information sometime today or tomorrow and I will distribute it as a link to this post when I get it.[/QUOTE]

Here is the pictures of the internal monitors TST has upgraded to instead of using the stem mount.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	105061  
Semi-Retired February 3, 2014
Bob & Cindy
Lvn2tvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:29 AM   #44

Well, I finally got the 2 replacements for the incorrect ones. They're the right tires this time, but an even older date code of 4814, so almost 18 months old
Guess there's not much more I can do about it now. Just the risks of buying them online, tho there's no guarantee that tires ordered from a store would be any fresher I suppose.
I probably won't have a chance to get them fitted this weekend, so it'll likely have to be the following weekend
Old 04-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #45

If those new internal sensors were available, and for a cheap upgrade cost, I might consider them, but I guess they're not ready yet.
I suspect my next truck will have built-in tpms, tho perhaps not for the trailer
Old 04-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #46

Well, I returned the tires that I ordered online (should get refund in a few days), and ordered from the local Discount Tire store instead. The tires they received were the same date-code, so no benefit there, and they did cost a little more, but they have a large install bay, and seem to know what they're doing more than the morons at the other local tire places, so I'm still ok with paying the difference.

They did say that they could order a new set direct from Maxxis, but that it would take quite a few days, and of course there's still no guarantee that they'd be any newer, since they might well be from the same cargo shipment.

I guess I'm stuck with older tires, but now using an installer that I trust more than the local Tire Kingdom.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:04 AM   #47

BTW, I got the "new" tires installed by the local Discount Tire store. While the tires are still older stock (and apparently there's not much newer stock in the country at the moment ... probably due to everyone else already having asked to use up the newer stock :P ), the installer guys at Discount Tire were excellent.

Sure I had to remind them not to try jacking on the axles, and we used my tire ramp for 3 of the tires (more on that in a minute), but at least they actually listened to the customer unlike some other local tire stores.

Unfortunately my tire ramp didn't survive the experience. When trying to use it for the 4th time, it gave up. The bolts that screw into the bottom of it, which are there to provide grip into the pavement, buckled through the plastic material and the ramp just ended up sliding along the pavement instead
I guess it's ok for a one-off tire change, but not for changing out a full set. I think I need to contact the manufacturer and get them to replace it if I can. Otherwise I think I'll still order a replacement since it's still better than not having anything if needed.
For the fourth tire we got a trolley jack under the frame between the wheels, from the back of the tire, and with a LOT of effort managed to lift the fourth wheel clear for changing. Was certainly tricky. Unfortunately neither I nor they had a bottle jack that we could fit between the tires from the side.

I'm currently running at full 65psi (or very close), but will see how they go.

The first thing I already noticed when towing (only about 100 miles total over the weekend) was that the pressure change is much less than I would've seen on the same journey with the old tires.
The Maxxis tires increased from 65psi to 70psi (on a very warm day). The old LR-C tires would likely have jumped from 50psi to near 60psi (a much higher percentage variation).
Old 05-10-2016, 10:08 PM   #48
Commercial Member

For ST type tires almost all brands have the same Load & Inflation table. Maxxis table is easy to read.

Itis the air pressure not the tire that carries the load so going from LR-C to higher LR but not increasing the inflation is of no value.

If changing to higher pressure be sure the rim is rated for the higher pressure. If you can't find the psi rating you can figure out the rating by checking the OE tire size and OE Inflation and the load rating. Many that I see are only rated for the OE tire max inflation.

External TPMS can read 50F lower than hottest part of a tire.

You can lower the Interply Shear forces in your tire by running higher inflation. For ST tires this may mean you need to run higher Load Range tires.

Many TT have significant unbalance axle to axle and even side to side on same axle so you can not take total scale reading and devide by 4

GVWR will include the load on the TV. RV companies cut the reserve load margin to essentially zero so they can get away with the lowest cost tire & axle combination even though they know, or should know, that going around corners and side load of wind can significantly increase individual tire loads by hundreds of pounds.

You can approximate the real tire temperature increase by looking at the pressure increase. PSI will change 2% for each change of 10F is good rule of thumb. My blog has math proof. External TPMS can not read the tire temperature due to cooling air action on metal stem and sensor parts. This has been confirmed with actual RV test and collection of data.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:54 PM   #49

We just replaced all 4 of our tires in our 2013 8289WS. We had 2 blow outs with he tires that came on it. Went to Tire Discounters
They took excellent care of us. We now have 10 ply Heartland tires with 80psi. Feel much safer with these now!
Dkjones28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #50
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkjones28 View Post
We just replaced all 4 of our tires in our 2013 8289WS. We had 2 blow outs with he tires that came on it. Went to Tire Discounters
They took excellent care of us. We now have 10 ply Heartland tires with 80psi. Feel much safer with these now!

Without knowing the real reason for the two failures it is important to remember that since it is the air not the tire that carries the load you can fail a LR-E or LR-D just as fast as a LR-C if you have an air leak from puncture, cut pr leaking valve or valve core. A properly set quality TPMS is a good investment as it will warn the driver as soon as you loose a few psi which may give you time to pull off the road at a safe location and to replace the leaking tire with the spare.

With no TPMS your first warning of a failed tire may be a passing motorist waving at you from their window.

TPMS can not warn of a pending Tread Separation but timely close tire inspection can identify a tire that is about to fail.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #51
Site Team

[QUOTE=....timely close tire inspection can identify a tire that is about to fail.[/QUOTE]

Yes. And knowing what to look for. Thanks.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:05 AM   #52

x2 on the TPMS! We wouldn't think of leaving on even a short trip without our TST-507 up and running. You can check pressures when hooking up for the day's drive and then run over a nail on the way out of the campground gate. The TPMS will alert you something is wrong or a tire is losing pressure. They aren't cheap, but then neither is a new tire, rim, wheel well liner, fender trim, and possibly a wreck.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:53 PM   #53

We are definitely getting rhis. We changed to E load tires (I think) and 10 ply
Dkjones28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires